2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FrukostScones

Re: 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

DANGER (slow corners :mrgreen: )!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ME4ME

One of my least favorite circuits. Not a big fan of the heavily DRS assisted turn1 overtakes.
Expecting an easy Mercedes 1-2.

Phil

siskue2005 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 14:26
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 11:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 10:16

A hat trick of what? :?:
Losing a grand prix in Baku he should have won.
He never deserved the 2017 win!
2018 was fifty fifty.
Interesting fact: assuming Lewis head rest issue would have unfolded regardless if Seb had red-mist or not, Seb would have been in the best position to capitalize on that. So yeah, Seb could have won that race indeed.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dtro

zac510 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 17:53
dans79 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 17:01

The run to turn 1 is so short that even a mediocre start should guarantee you maintain your starting position.
Yeah, it's turn 2 that's the danger zone!
They might as well put "Welcome to the Thunderdome" when the five red lights go out, and with the wider front wings there might be further madness.

siskue2005

Phil wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 18:25
siskue2005 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 14:26
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 11:08

Losing a grand prix in Baku he should have won.
He never deserved the 2017 win!
2018 was fifty fifty.
Interesting fact: assuming Lewis head rest issue would have unfolded regardless if Seb had red-mist or not, Seb would have been in the best position to capitalize on that. So yeah, Seb could have won that race indeed.
Interesting fact: assuming Vettel got the same penalty as the ones who got similar penalties in the past for their red mist, then Lewis would have won the championship with 7 races to go. :mrgreen:
this would have could have if but etc game is not good :D

FrukostScones

ME4ME wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 18:12
One of my least favorite circuits. Not a big fan of the heavily DRS assisted turn1 overtakes.
Expecting an easy Mercedes 1-2.
noo way Merc gonna selfdestruct.

I expect something like LEC, NOR, GAS.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

etusch

zibby43

Mansell89 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 08:56
Does Bahrain form usually get confirmed in Azjerbaijan due to some similarities between the circuits?

Rear-limited, long straights, “Point and squirt” and low speed corners? Or would it be wrong to say that?

Just thinking last year, Ferrari were the fastest car at both tracks despite not getting the result in Baku.

Would welcome your thoughts :)
There are some similarities, but there is one important variable you're forgetting: the nature/abrasion level of the asphalt itself.

Bahrain is one of the most abrasive circuits on the entire calendar. Accordingly, most teams have to compromise their front ends and set their cars up with understeer in order for the rear tires to survive the race.

Bahrain is on one end of the extreme in the sense that, out of all the circuits, it probably requires the least amount of front end performance. Shanghai is on the opposite end of the spectrum (so is Melbourne).

Baku has one of the least abrasive surfaces on the calendar, so teams that do have good front end performance won't have to sacrifice that trait for tire wear purposes in the race.

djones

Looking at the track I think the straight line speed of the Ferrari is going to be even more cancelled out in the corners than the last race.

To the point where maybe even Redbull will beat them.

Without technical or driver issues, I think it's a foregone conclusion for Mercedes to be fastest.

BwajSF

Why is it always so much negativity surrounding ferrari even before the weekend starts.. even before thier packages arrive to the circuit...??
Ferrari are bringing updates to baku to get thier slow corners issues addressed. if those updates deliver then the straight line speed advantage with better performance at slow corners they would be untouchable... every team has had off weekends... In melborne Ferrari coudnt get thier car into window in addition to thier slow speed corner issues.. in bahrain Mercs and Redbulls had the same window issue...
Setting up the cars have been anything less of a ma-moth job.. so if ferrari can get it right... set-up wise.. i see them disappearing in the distance with Mercs in the trailing them by atleast 0.2 to 0.3 in quali and a health 20sec in race.
Fingers crossed..

Some Optimism plz....
Dont forget..our blood is.. REDDDDDDDD.........
#ForzaFerrari..

wickedz50

BwajSF wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 07:47
Why is it always so much negativity surrounding ferrari even before the weekend starts.. even before thier packages arrive to the circuit...??
Ferrari are bringing updates to baku to get thier slow corners issues addressed. if those updates deliver then the straight line speed advantage with better performance at slow corners they would be untouchable... every team has had off weekends... In melborne Ferrari coudnt get thier car into window in addition to thier slow speed corner issues.. in bahrain Mercs and Redbulls had the same window issue...
Setting up the cars have been anything less of a ma-moth job.. so if ferrari can get it right... set-up wise.. i see them disappearing in the distance with Mercs in the trailing them by atleast 0.2 to 0.3 in quali and a health 20sec in race.
Fingers crossed..

Some Optimism plz....
Dont forget..our blood is.. REDDDDDDDD.........
#ForzaFerrari..
Ferrari fans have shown and continues showing "Optimism" since 2xxx every weekend. However "Optimism" hit back hard Sunday night, weekdays full of pain and shock.
[-o< for a happy week ahead !!!

z.topoln

Still, better to be optimistic than not... Look how broken McLaren fans were last few years... Atleast Ferrari is still up there, near the top.

I think merc will take this race, ferrari might bring updates but you always needa race or two to make setup around them work, so i guess around barcelona ferrari might start a fightback.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Vasconia

We don´t know difficult is to sort out Ferrari´s problems with slow/medium corners, I hope this update can solve them, another 1-2 for Mercedes would be terrible for the competition.

I do hope too that Carlos can finally have some luck an score some points as his performance has been great so far.

etusch

They got it wrong fighting in F1

JonoNic

Mercedes' performance this year just proves how well Red Bull would have done if they had that Mercedes PU in there since 2015.

This year's Mercedes team has the traditional strengths of a Red Bull in previous seasons, that is aero and traction out of low speed corners.
Always find the gap then use it.