Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djones

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Every time I see that front wing it confuses me.

I understand it apparently has a lot of disadvantages in terms of downforce and development potential.

But can somebody please explain to an idiot what its advantages were meant to be?

Morteza

China vs Baku (via @AlbertFabrega)
Last edited by Morteza on 25 Apr 2019, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ScrewCaptain27

djones wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 11:55

I understand it apparently has a lot of disadvantages in terms of downforce and development potential.

But can somebody please explain to an idiot what its advantages were meant to be?
Creates a very pronounced outwash similar to the cascades used previously.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

MtthsMlw

That rearwing is huge compared to the other teams.

Dipesh1995

djones wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 11:55

The pressure side of the wing creates an outwash as its less loaded on the outboard side compared to the inboard side resulting in a favourable pressure gradient in favour of the outboard side (not as much as one might expect due to the pressure impingment between the outboard side of the wing and frontal stagnation/high pressure region of the wheel). The suction side of the wing creates an inwash again due to a favourable pressure gradient this time in favour of the inboard side due to the presence of a lower pressure in that region compared to that of the outboard side.

digitalrurouni

Is it me or does the Merc wing look super skinny compared to the Fezza wing?

marvin78

It's another angle so that explains at least parts of it.

Morteza

New bargeboards

Also new for Baku

Via @AlbertFabrega
Last edited by Morteza on 25 Apr 2019, 15:11, edited 3 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

BwajSF

The Image says it all...
red team looking to for downforce and hence choosing the higher downforce rear wing and have a powerful DRS.
Silver team having a lot of downforce already so trading it off for some straight line speed.

CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

C Plinius Secundus

MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 12:29
That rearwing is huge compared to the other teams.
That's not a rear wing, it's an anchor...

I guess that Maranello didn't receive the memo about non linearity between air resistance and speed.

CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Morteza

Via AMuS

CriXus