2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

Both Ferrari’s with slimmer rear wings. They put the slimmer one on Leclerc’s car as well for the second runs.
Looks like Mercedes has more wing than Ferrari now.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

So until now Ferrari has been doing poorly in slow corners, then this.... what is happening?

I know they brought updates, but surely slow speed corners are where aero plays the least importance? Puzzling

LM10
LM10

JPBD1990 wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 13:05
So until now Ferrari has been doing poorly in slow corners, then this.... what is happening?

I know they brought updates, but surely slow speed corners are where aero plays the least importance? Puzzling
They just keep on understanding the car and it mostly is set up I assume. But of course, the upgrades seem to work as well. Though, I don’t know how much they help them in those twisty sections.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

JPBD1990 wrote:

Due to their power advantage they are pretty much running more overall downforce than everyone else. Also more aggressive in tire warming so are keeping tire temp better over the lap, better for braking and corner exits and they still have that power down the straight.

Everyone else took off most of the downforce they could so they aren't vulnerable on the straight but that is killing them on tire temps and general cornering performance.

LM10
LM10

drunkf1fan wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 13:14
JPBD1990 wrote:

Due to their power advantage they are pretty much running more overall downforce than everyone else. Also more aggressive in tire warming so are keeping tire temp better over the lap, better for braking and corner exits and they still have that power down the straight.

Everyone else took off most of the downforce they could so they aren't vulnerable on the straight but that is killing them on tire temps and general cornering performance.
Mercedes was running visibly more rear wing than Ferrari in FP3.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

JPBD1990 wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, merc clearly hasn’t even started the engine yet... but should be close at least, which is encouraging!

yener

After the Qualifying session Lewis will tell this:

It's unbelieveable, Ferrari was so fast. But the team did a great job and gave us the first start row, i did not expect it. I want to thank the engineer and all mechanics. We found the sweet spot and hopefully we can stay at front of the ferrari's tomorrow.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Danlizzyman
Danlizzyman

yener wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 13:25
After the Qualifying session Lewis will tell this:

It's unbelieveable, Ferrari was so fast. But the team did a great job and gave us the first start row, i did not expect it. I want to thank the engineer and all mechanics. We found the sweet spot and hopefully we can stay at front of the ferrari's tomorrow.
Brilliant, bang on! :lol: =D>

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

LM10 wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 13:18
drunkf1fan wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:

Today, not yesterday, yesterday Ferrari was making all their lap time in the first and second sector, today in the earlier runs before Ferrari gained like 15kph on the straights in the final runs Ham was purple in S1, 0.002 behind or something after s2 and lost half a second on the straight.

Then I think Ferrari just turned their engine up and found time in every sector including a massive amount in s3. Yesterday when Ferrari had more wing they gained much less on the straight but way more in the corners.

MtthsMlw

Gasly getting a new gearbox (+5 places) but that doesn't matter anyways.

Phil

I wouldn't be surprised if the pole setter will not win this race, unless whoever starts on pole can really drive off into the distance and react to pretty much anything that happens and every eventuality. If not, the chance of a crash and a safety car throwing chaos is just relatively big...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

drunkf1fan wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 13:43
LM10 wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 13:18
drunkf1fan wrote:

Today, not yesterday, yesterday Ferrari was making all their lap time in the first and second sector, today in the earlier runs before Ferrari gained like 15kph on the straights in the final runs Ham was purple in S1, 0.002 behind or something after s2 and lost half a second on the straight.

Then I think Ferrari just turned their engine up and found time in every sector including a massive amount in s3. Yesterday when Ferrari had more wing they gained much less on the straight but way more in the corners.

Ferrari still gaining a bunch of time in s2. They cannot be touched there. I expect merc to close the gap in the other sectors come qualifying.

search

problems for Mercedes are fairly obviously the tires, not the engine. Will be tough to get it sorted for Qualifying.

Sierra117

EPIC Gasly buahahaha
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

NathanOlder

Vettel seems to be struggling compared to Leclerc in Q1, had an extra flying lap and still 6 tenths off Charles
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC