Has anyone here done a research degree?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
wpsiatwin

Has anyone here done a research degree?

I am considering a research based masters but I'm unsure and have some questions.

1) Is there an expectation to give presentations?
2) Is attendance at conferences mandatory?
3) Is teaching undergrad tutorials mandatory?
4) How much harder than undergrad is it?
5) How valuable is a research masters for getting a job in industry after completion?

basti313

Re: Has anyone here done a research degree?

1. Yes, of course. In 99% of all modern research groups you need to do regular presentations of your work within the group. I would say every Prof. has learned that letting the people just do the asters and looking after 2 years what comes out is not the right way, so they insist on regular presentations.

2. No, not in Masters, I even know people finishing the PhD without it. For me it was always the best...I am going to at least 2-3 conferences each year since ~10 years. I already attended 3 conferences this year, until June it will be 5. I can only recommend it.

3. No, not in Masters, only in payed PhD. But you can earn money with teaching and you learn a lot.

4. Well...you need to work. Bachelor is just not being stupid, the further you go the more work comes into play.

5. Depends. But I think Masters is more mandatory than PhD. I am from the old people who think Bachelor is no degree, but a step to a degree, so I think I have issues with hiring a Bachelor. He needs a good story why no Masters...or gets a job which is not worth a Masters.
Don`t russel the hamster!

wpsiatwin

Re: Has anyone here done a research degree?

basti313 wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 22:36
1. Yes, of course. In 99% of all modern research groups you need to do regular presentations of your work within the group. I would say every Prof. has learned that letting the people just do the asters and looking after 2 years what comes out is not the right way, so they insist on regular presentations.

2. No, not in Masters, I even know people finishing the PhD without it. For me it was always the best...I am going to at least 2-3 conferences each year since ~10 years. I already attended 3 conferences this year, until June it will be 5. I can only recommend it.

5. Depends. But I think Masters is more mandatory than PhD. I am from the old people who think Bachelor is no degree, but a step to a degree, so I think I have issues with hiring a Bachelor. He needs a good story why no Masters...or gets a job which is not worth a Masters.
How big would the research to which you have to present be? I’m okay with smaller groups it’s large groups of people my presentation skills and confidence falls off a cliff.

When you go to conferences is this to present you work? Would a masters research student be expected to present or attend as a method of learning from others?

I agree with the bachelors degree comment. I don’t feel like having almost completed a bachelors that I have enough in depth knowledge of a specific area to warrant a job. Did you study in the UK, I doubt it varies much by country but that could change things possibly.