2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Re: 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

Phil wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 22:58
So where was Vettel showing his cards when it mattered in Q2 on the medium tires and was forced to run again? Leclerc was faster all weekend, i find it quite a stretch to assume Vettel would have been faster in Q3 when all indications are implying something else.
As we both know that it would have been difficult to switch on the medium tyres for both Ferrari's in just 1 lap, they were sent out to do 2-3 fast laps.

On top of that Vettel was stuck behind a Toro Rosso till S2 which compromised his warm up lap, the commentators did mention that some parts of the track had lower track temp due to shade which I believe would have made it even more difficult to get the tyres upto temperature after he passed the Toro Rosso, which is why Vettel didn't go all out on his first run probably because he didn't want to end up crashing knowing his tyre temp is not optimum.

Leclerc on the other hand thought his tyres were probably in the right temp on his second run so he took the risk, locked his front wheels and ended up in the barrier which ruined Vettel's second run too, so we really don't know if Vettel had more pace up his sleeve or not.

Leclerc though was 2 tenths up on Vettel in S1 on his second run and I'm sure Vettel could do similar times but is it worth to push that hard in Q2 and start the race with flat spotted tyres when you know an average lap is more than enough to guarantee a spot in Q3?
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

PhillipM
PhillipM

Silent Storm wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 23:40
Phil wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 22:58
So where was Vettel showing his cards when it mattered in Q2 on the medium tires and was forced to run again? Leclerc was faster all weekend, i find it quite a stretch to assume Vettel would have been faster in Q3 when all indications are implying something else.
As we both know that it would have been difficult to switch on the medium tyres for both Ferrari's in just 1 lap, they were sent out to do 2-3 fast laps.

On top of that Vettel was stuck behind a Toro Rosso till S2 which compromised his warm up lap, the commentators did mention that some parts of the track had lower track temp due to shade which I believe would have made it even more difficult to get the tyres upto temperature after he passed the Toro Rosso, which is why Vettel didn't go all out on his first run probably because he didn't want to end up crashing knowing his tyre temp is not optimum.

Leclerc on the other hand thought his tyres were probably in the right temp on his second run so he took the risk, locked his front wheels and ended up in the barrier which ruined Vettel's second run too, so we really don't know if Vettel had more pace up his sleeve or not.

Leclerc though was 2 tenths up on Vettel in S1 on his second run and I'm sure Vettel could do similar times but is it worth to push that hard in Q2 and start the race with flat spotted tyres when you know an average lap is more than enough to guarantee a spot in Q3?
Vettel nearly crashed at the exact same spot the lap before. He even hit the wall with a wheel.

ferkan
ferkan

Tbh Leclerc had easily few tenths in pocket on Vettel through this week. As it went further, it actually got bigger. He was 6 tenths faster on M tires in Q2. Kinda hard to see Vettel being closer then 2-3 tenths in Q3, let alone faster.

Leclerc was one with a car until lock up and crash.

FrukostScones

nevill3 wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 22:56
Gasly excluded from qualifying due to exceeding fuel flow limit
too much tow. engine sucked too much flow. yo!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Sevach
Sevach

Today Leclerc made a rookie mistake, but he can still be something of a factor tommorow from ninth with medium tires.

Unc1eM0nty

Schuttelberg wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 21:18
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 21:07
Schuttelberg wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 17:14
It looks as though Toto has warged into Hamilton and left his impression. 7 tenths behind Ferrari?

It's all becoming a bit much now. I've been a Lewis fan since his Mercedes days began, but the trolling is beginning to feel insulting. Toto was enough already!
Usually I would agree with this but not today, Ferrari should have had pole, they (Leclerc) messed up, simple as
Do you have any concrete proof that Leclerc would have been on pole? This is sport. Not a fantasy league. Hamilton looked no where all weekend, had a shocking S1 and yet almost was on pole. Will it be fair to say then, that even if we add half a second to Vettel's lap but correct Hamilton's lap time, he would be on pole?

He crashed, didn't participate. Period. Feelings do not equal facts. From the pattern we have seen over five years, Mercedes never ever reveal their hand till Q3 and troll the paddock and fans every single week. The guys in red are decent drivers and Bottas in my book, is not on the same lobby. If he is so comfortably ahead so consistently, the facts must be that Mercedes is simply the faster car?

But then, just like Nate Saunders, how can we spin a twist on our narrative of Mercedes & Hamilton winning inspite of having a car and PU the equal of Red Bull?
If your looking for concrete proof then your in the wrong place, this a forum - you won't find that here, we're all just fans chewing the fat aren't we :wink:

Seb was three tenths off pole without a tow, Leclerc has been four or five tenths faster all weekend, I think he would have made the difference, that's all

I get all the frustration with the repetitive Mercedes PR angle, but what are they really meant to say, yes we're favourites, we'll walk it, they're are going to look pretty stupid when things come undone. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, occasionally the "we're not fast enough" angle is true.

zeph
zeph

How about my boy Checo qualifying 5th huh?

And it’s always fun to see Bottas do well.

atanatizante

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

yelistener

Juzh wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 19:11
ham vs vet q3 - so much for ferrari's straight line advantages. with proper prep on the outlap hamilton would wipe the floor in q3, probably even leclerc couldn't match his time.
https://youtu.be/jkrouUjuXbU

P02 hamilton baku q3 1.40.554
https://streamable.com/nld6t
https://streamable.com/nld6t

P03 vettel baku q3 1.40.797
https://streamable.com/845wu
https://streamable.com/845wu

P04 verstappen baku q3 1.41.069
https://streamable.com/r2tbc
https://streamable.com/r2tbc

which other laps would be worth doing?
Could you do Bottas pole with telemetry? Would like to know if Lewis' straight line speed indeed benefited from Bottas' tow.

carisi2k

The Mercedes make a huge gain in the drs zone. I think in qualifying there should be no DRS.

Phil

Silent Storm wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 23:40
Evidently an average lap wasnt going to be enough if you were gambling to make a run stick with a much slower tire for an advantage in the race, while all others were sticking to the fastest tire. One driver made his lap count, the other didnt (and nearly crashed too, as PhilipM mentioned).

Sorry to say, but Vettel looked mediocre on pretty much every lap he did throughout the entire qualifying session. There was not one lap he did that made me think he is holding back something or was the guy to be beat. A street circuit such as Baku is a large part confidence. You build up to it or you dont. If you dont and make mistakes, then you usually lose time as a result of it. Even Vettels first Q3 time wasnt quick enough to beat the RedBull. When was Leclerc ever slower than a (legal and not tow assisted) RedBull this weekend?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

max_speed
max_speed

Torpedo will decide the winner of race today. He will get a mega start , will go and hit the mad max and cause a safety car. I am very happy lecrec and sainz are behind him.

search

Phil wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 04:06
Sorry to say, but Vettel looked mediocre on pretty much every lap he did throughout the entire qualifying session. There was not one lap he did that made me think he is holding back something or was the guy to be beat. A street circuit such as Baku is a large part confidence. You build up to it or you dont. If you dont and make mistakes, then you usually lose time as a result of it. Even Vettels first Q3 time wasnt quick enough to beat the RedBull. When was Leclerc ever slower than a (legal and not tow assisted) RedBull this weekend?
It just doesn't really be his type of track, at least not when it comes to one lap pace. Raikkonen was miles faster last year as well (until he through it away) and also beat him the year before