2019 performance speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zack!

Re: 2019 performance speculation

I think Renault coulb be more reliable and consistent than rbh at scoring. If rbh is weaker than expected, and mercedes and Ferrari take the big points, and if rbh is unlucky on racing (dnf, penalties), then yes, there is a small chance Renault could edge rbh at the end.

Jambier

I think Renault is far on chassis side to Red Bull

So I can't imagine them in front. Even if they have an engine advantage, it will not be enough to beat RB

zack!

Yes rbh a bit quicker but scoring less.

nokivasara

Chuckjr wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 00:13
This is finally the year the power units will begin to really equalize.

I see this season with no stand out fastest. Ferrari, Merc, and Red Bull will all have weekends where they shine over the others. I think in this regard the cars are evenly matched.

Each of these teams can be a development monster. Each can make the car faster all year.

Driver skill will be at a premium.

We have seen all three of these drivers crack for different reasons at different points in their career tho Max is a rookie almost by comparison of the other two. Lewis, Seb, Max, like any human, each has weaknesses, and if those weaknesses can be exploited, they should be. I see driver aggression, cunning, and measured attack as critical this year more than most, and the more aggressive driver will have advantage, IMO.

This year will be a fist fight on every track.

I don't think any prediction is right or even close as I see this season having A LOT of controversy and track incidences because everyone will be so close and fighting. I see points leads/advantages constantly changing.

Pit lane work is going to be nip and tuck many times this season. I see lots of race deciding pit violation penalties coming.

I really think we are in for a barn stormer of a season this year with tempers flaring. I pick the most cunning and aggressive driver to win, and many wins will be controversial. I don't see this year being a clean championship by any stretch.

Can't wait. [-o<
I agree and like to point out that the midfield battle will be even more dramatic, at this point (1st quali in :mrgreen: ) there is basically nothing between the teams behind the top 3.
If this continues throughout the season the qualifying sessions will be out of this world! This is bad news for Kimi, he often lacks that final push when it's needed the most.

NutritionFact

I think it's possible that haas alfa and Ferrari and maybe McLaren will work better on permanent racetracks.

Ferrari (don't now who? Binotto?) "predictable downforce in any corner" , with the bumps here in Melbourne it's not flat enough.
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

roon

roon wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 21:23
Merc's sixth consecutive WDC.
A still-winnowing Ferrari with a bigger gap to second than in '18, losing more points to RB.
RB with a test-bed engine for another third place year.
Fourth goes Renault, Haas, or Racing Point.

Merc's main competitors in Ferrari and RB are both contending with major changes (driver lineup for both, PU supplier change for RB). It's Merc's season to lose. Expect more masterful sandbagging with a comfortable late season walk-away.
Good showing by Sauba Romeo. Maybe they finish in the midfield this year. Updating my guesses for fourth place and lesser positions:

4 Renault
5 Haas
6 Alfa
7 Racing Point
8 McLaren
9 TR
10 Williams

Over the years I get the impression that Ferrari is operating at 110% to get where they are, Merc at a more relaxed 90% and still winning. As though Ferrari have been overwhelmed by the formula in a way Merc have not. You look in the engine bays of these cars and it looks like Ferrari, Renault and Honda just barely manage to cram in all the wires, tubing, and hoses; meanwhile, Merc's installation looks organized. If one could take a photo of a team's organization, its logistics, perhaps a similar scene would be captured.
Last edited by roon on 17 Mar 2019, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

HPD

HPD wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 22:29
This is my first and last speculation. I do not want to change every time, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong!

Mercedes
Red Bull
Ferrari
03 Mar

I don't want to be bad .. But I told you! :lol:

Jambier

Here you have a clear ranking of teams... and I think I can bet money that it will be the same at the end of the last race this year :D

digitalrurouni

I dunno if you guys have seen this already but thought I would share. Delete if it's a reshape - https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2019/03 ... -analysis/

PlatinumZealot

I deleted it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

roon

Fourth consecutive Mercedes 1-2 of the season. Perez has as many points as Gasly.

SmallSoldier

Jambier wrote:Image

Here you have a clear ranking of teams... and I think I can bet money that it will be the same at the end of the last race this year :D
Are you still taking bets? :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jambier

erf nope :D

Top 3 will remain the same

I expect McLaren and maybe Renault for P4
I'm chocked with Haas performance... how on earth is that possible ?

roon

Current WCC points distribution has some similarities to the end of last season. Big delineations between 1st, 2nd, & 3rd, each having about 2/3 their superiors' value, and a bigger jump to the 4th place battle shared by four teams each having roughly 1/4 of the 3rd place value.

I wonder if Merc will be altering their relationship with the sport soon. This season they could decide to take all remaining P1 and P2 points, break all records, and move on.

RB still strong and maintaining their position despite powertrain and driver changes, both of whom are young. That says a lot.

Ferrari with a driver change and a good car having a wider gap to second makes sense.

Jolle

roon wrote:
03 May 2019, 21:13
Current WCC points distribution has some similarities to the end of last season. Big delineations between 1st, 2nd, & 3rd, each having about 2/3 their superiors' value, and a bigger jump to the 4th place battle shared by four teams each having roughly 1/4 of the 3rd place value.

I wonder if Merc will be altering their relationship with the sport soon. This season they could decide to take all remaining P1 and P2 points, break all records, and move on.

RB still strong and maintaining their position despite powertrain and driver changes, both of whom are young. That says a lot.

Ferrari with a driver change and a good car having a wider gap to second makes sense.
I don't think Mercedes is going to quit anytime soon. F1 generates a lot of marketing attention, even or especially when they are breaking records and with Petronas and the F1 money, they have it relatively cheap. Same goes for RedBull, tons of attention with Verstappen as a real RedBull hero, the young cocky challenger to the oldest brands and drivers on the track.

Renault on the other hand, they need some kind of results or at least the prospect of podiums or wins to keep them in. You can't sell budget like that fighting for the last points every weekend.