Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
etusch

Re: Red Bull RB15

gandharva

gandharva wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 22:00
Slightly different frontwing in the background.
Here is what I was referring to (left side: Baku; right side: China):

Also new on the frontwing: Three trays. Probably used to play around with weight distribution. Maybe they have been able to slim down the car a bit and now can play around with some removable weights.

/edit
Others also spotted it now. :wink:
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 31105?s=09

Javert

At the end, the low df setup was chosen for both cars. Seems the rear stability problem is mitigated now

Capharol

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14302 ... n-revealed
Red Bull is running a unique Formula 1 front suspension design with two separate legs replacing the conventional single-piece wishbone.

gandharva

RB15 seems to have issues to get tires into correct window quickly, but is lacking the durability advantage they had last year. Hondas disadvantage is not so much power, but fuel inefficiency. I think they need to start with alot more fuel than Fer/Merc as the car was poor in first half of the race and then it improved alot.

GhostF1

gandharva wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:42
RB15 seems to have issues to get tires into correct window quickly, but is lacking the durability advantage they had last year. Hondas disadvantage is not so much power, but fuel inefficiency. I think they need to start with alot more fuel than Fer/Merc as the car was poor in first half of the race and then it improved alot.
I don't think it's fuel inefficiency. With this formula, power usually comes with increased fuel efficiency as well. I just don't think they run in as high a mode at the start as Merc and Ferrari for as long. As evidenced by the fact Max was right there with Vettel mid race but they just turned it up towards the end, both Ferrari and Merc.

gandharva

GhostF1 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:56
As evidenced by the fact Max was right there with Vettel mid race but they just turned it up towards the end, both Ferrari and Merc.
I disagree. The fact Max could not keep up with Vettel at the end was mainly down to tires again. We have seen in last races that Merc/Ferr only can pump out 1-2 laps in quali mode at restart (Merc maybe 1 more) and then need to tone it down again. Imho tire temps also cost him p4 at the start.

Juzh

gandharva wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:58
GhostF1 wrote:
As evidenced by the fact Max was right there with Vettel mid race but they just turned it up towards the end, both Ferrari and Merc.
I disagree. The fact Max could not keep up with Vettel at the end was mainly down to tires again. We have seen in last races that Merc/Ferr only can pump out 1-2 laps in quali mode at restart (Merc maybe 1 more) and then need to tone it down again. Imho tire temps also cost him p4 at the start.
ironically gasly indirectly ruins verstappens race as well

RB be like

MtthsMlw

Also Verstappen was told to stay away from the exit curb in turn 16 maybe because they were fearing a similar incident (driveshaft failure) to Gasly.

Sieper

In fact, he was told to stay away from all kerbs even (later) as Gasly had to park his car due to drive shaft breakage.

The tire wear advantage they had has been taken away by FIA prior to this season by enforcing thinner thread tires on all venues (last year they only used those thinner thread on tracks with new asphalt, 4, and on these tracks they had no blistering even last year). Mercedes (and to a lesser extent Ferrari) struggled with blistering, I think due to their longer cars and for Mercedes with much less rake. Mercedes struggled most with the thicker thread.

roon

Those front arms:

etusch

gandharva wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:58
GhostF1 wrote:
I think you are right. At first Verstappen lost one place to perez and defend against McLaren. After a few laps McLaren or racing point is not even close to him. Without vsc period he can be close ham too after passing vettel.

Sieper

Max just lost that place to perez as he had to start from P4. The inside here is rather disadvantegous. Last year Max started from P5 himself and he overtook Ric (that started from P4 as well) in the exact same way as Perez on Max this year. Not so much a tire heat up issue.

After the VSC The realease came at an unfavourable moment for Max, plus he was told to stay of the kerbs, compromising the only way to get heat into the tires (the corners in the twist section).

roon

Those front arms are interesting. Surprised no one picked up on it before that article. Multi link. Just read the rules, nothing prevents such designs. Six members max of which up to three can be connected prior to the upright. Provides virtual upper steering center. Good point made by the article that it could be a structural decision. Since the arms move with steering lock, there's no need to accomodate tires at full steering lock with cutouts in the members or convoluted wye shaped merged arms.

They also disuss camber effects and centers of mass shifting. Loads through the members will alter with lock in a different way.

This may be an aeodynamically and structurally superior way to get the effects provided by the Merc-type exposed upper pivot. While offering up other advantages.