2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Yeah lol Leclerc already on Vettels pace at worse. Vettel is the one who needs to go if anyone. Team orders in 3 races, 2 --- strategies for Leclerc and a major PU problem.

How many points is Vettel in front of Charles now? 40 or 50 ???

Oh wait....
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Scorpaguy

So far this year, Ferrari has been:
...bluffed in testing
...belittled in Melbourne
...bettered in Bahrain
...outclassed in China
...left with no answers in Azerbaijan

I was openly critical of firing Arri and Kimi. The big red was far better off this time last year. Bini appears the adroit checkers player forlornly thrust into a chess tournament. Leclerc, seems pretty well neutered. At least Arri was a fighter and had passion. Bini just seems flummoxed that his engineer "numbers are not adding up" and hoping he can find the error in his math.

LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 23:10
Yeah lol Leclerc already on Vettels pace at worse. Vettel is the one who needs to go if anyone. Team orders in 3 races, 2 --- strategies for Leclerc and a major PU problem.

How many points is Vettel in front of Charles now? 40 or 50 ???

Oh wait....
I don’t know why you’re getting so emotional about a thing regarding a team you don’t care of.

Anyway, today I didn’t see any major strategic mistake putting Leclerc into a disadvantageous position. After he pitted for fresh Softs, he couldn’t go faster than the guys in front on old Mediums because the Softs were really bad race tyres.
There’s one person responsible for Leclerc finishing in the position he did and that’s himself because he crashed in qualifying. Not that I think it’s a big thing. It happens and it’s a learning process. But you obviously need to be remembered.

wickedz50

Scorpaguy wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 23:13
...bluffed in testing
...belittled in Melbourn
...bettered in Bahrain
...outclassed in China

I was openly critical of firing Arri and Kimi. The big red was far better off this time last year. Bini appears the adroit checkers player forlornly thrust into a chess tournament. Leclerc, seems pretty well neutered. At least Arri was a fighter and had passion. Bini just seems flummoxed that his engineer "numbers are not adding up" and hoping he can find the error in his math.
You have to see the power struggle after Sergio Marchionne died. I saw Sergio a big force behind Ferrari's revival. He was the one who had put Arri on the job. Bino has some serious problem with the way he is running things, why take so much load on yourself when you already has a good team in place in 2017 and 2018 ready to oversee operations.
Bring back Arri now and Bino please focus on getting the aero and engine numbers fixed for 2020.

Vasconia

wickedz50 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 07:24
Scorpaguy wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 23:13
...bluffed in testing
...belittled in Melbourn
...bettered in Bahrain
...outclassed in China

You have to see the power struggle after Sergio Marchionne died. I saw Sergio a big force behind Ferrari's revival. He was the one who had put Arri on the job. Bino has some serious problem with the way he is running things, why take so much load on yourself when you already has a good team in place in 2017 and 2018 ready to oversee operations.
Bring back Arri now and Bino please focus on getting the aero and engine numbers fixed for 2020.
I think Binotto´s approach is better, colder and more focused as Todt was. But they problem is that he is also the technical leader and I am afraid this is too much work for him.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 21:01
I still think Ferrari will be proven to have had the fastest car this weekend, with a combo of slipstream and colder conditions (plus Leclerc’s crash) affecting their qualifying pace.

If so - and we’ll see - that would mean 2/4 races where they were fastest - if indeed they’re still not on top of their car then still being fastest half the time is pretty good!

The problem though is the same as last two years: fast car but combination of bad track operations and, imo, drivers who far less frequently perform exceptional qualifying laps than the competition, are making the difference.
Umm I see Mercedes making the pole and achieving another 1-2 with a short but confortable margin over Ferrari. People should start realizing that they have the best package.

Phil

I actually thought Ferrari were quite good during the race. For the most part, Vettel was able to keep up with the Mercedes which would make me very optimistic. Four 1-2s in a row for Mercedes sounds overwhelming, but IMO is not painting the true picture. I expect Ferrari to be strong come Barcelona.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 10:44
Four 1-2s in a row for Mercedes sounds overwhelming, but IMO is not painting the true picture. I expect Ferrari to be strong come Barcelona.
I agree that the stat sounds impressive (and it is) but compared to the previous record holder - the FW14B in the hands of Mansell/Patrese - the gap between the front 2 and the next is much smaller. Mansell was regularly 1s ahead of P2 (usually his team mate) and often 2s ahead of P3 in qualifying. That was a truly dominant car.

The Ferrari is much closer to the Mercedes and it seems to be as much down to the team as the car when it comes to the results. Hamilton "lucked in" to the Bahrain win, after all, so it's not like the Mercedes has blown the rest out of the water.

Ferrari, as a team, need to up their game. The car is good enough to win races, as are the drivers.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

selvam_e2002

Replace Vettel bring back Alonso for 202 to win both the championship. Vettel is going worse and worse each year. Ferrari won't lose anything if they replace Vettel.

Who else can be? I don't thin no one can fight back with Hamilton and Co. Alonso is the right person for Ferrari in 2020.

digitalrurouni

I was disappointed the softd didn't work for Leclerc. Is it understood yet why that was the case?

NathanOlder

I think it was down to that fact that when he put the softs on, he still had plenty of laps to do, so he looked after them, When he changed to another set and went for the fastest lap, he had plenty of pace.
2 stopper was the way to go when it was clear he was losing so much time to the guys on new mediums. Instead they left him out there to lose well over 20 seconds.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

tpeman

selvam_e2002 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 13:09
Replace Vettel bring back Alonso for 202 to win both the championship. Vettel is going worse and worse each year. Ferrari won't lose anything if they replace Vettel.

Who else can be? I don't thin no one can fight back with Hamilton and Co. Alonso is the right person for Ferrari in 2020.
I don't really see a difference between Alonso's Ferrari stint and Vettel's (so far), result-wise. Also, Vettel is driving his 5th year with the team, so I think they are comfortable with him? Seb's speed comes when he is comfortable and can trust the car. Look for example his 2015 performance and the first half of 2017. He was near perfect then. The problem with Seb (and Ferrari as well) is when things don't go according to their preliminary calculations. A driver like Hamilton for example, would start to drive in 'safe mode' and is somewhat off pace (Baku 2016, China 2018, again Baku 2018). In such a scenario, Vettel starts to push harder than possible (Baku 2018, Germany 2018, Japan 2018), thus he is almost never off pace, but is more error-prone. Really I can't think of a race, when Seb was 'slow' (safe for Silverstone 2016). What we see here aren't 'flaws', but different approaches to a certain scenario. The former being more conservative, but guarantees a points finish, the second being more passion-driven and may result in a better result, but is incredibly risky. But after all, this is what makes the show, right?

Alonso's strength is driving slower cars faster, putting them in the front where they don't belong. When he is driving a fast and balanced car though, he isn't exactly 'dominating' his teammate. For example 2007 (we all know how it evolved), and the first half of 2010. In 2012 and 2014 (when the car was difficult to drive) he was miles ahead of Massa and Raikkonen.

LostInTranslation

An interesting article on FormulaPassion.it by Alberto Antonini, formerly responsible for the communication of the Ferrari team until last season. Use some translator if you do not have a connection with Italian language. I think it's worth it.

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 33453.html

LM10

LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:02
An interesting article on FormulaPassion.it by Alberto Antonini, formerly responsible for the communication of the Ferrari team until last season. Use some translator if you do not have a connection with Italian language. I think it's worth it.

So what he's telling is that Ferrari went for a conventional suspension (which isn't a new thing for them to do) and that's the issue they are having?

LostInTranslation

LM10 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:37
LostInTranslation wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:02

So what he's telling is that Ferrari went for a conventional suspension (which isn't a new thing for them to do) and that's the issue they are having?
Of course.

Perhaps it simply has to do with the way the tires and suspension work together. "The wizard of suspensions", as Antonini calls him (Allison), flew to Brackley a few years ago.

I trust the opinion of someone who knows Ferrari team from the inside, for have been there so many years (till last season), and I invite you to follow his blog "with a thread of gas" inside FormulaPassion.