2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10

Re: 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

zibby43 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 22:16
LM10 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 22:04
zibby43 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 22:00

Where did I say they should introduce a tighter engine cover outlet?
They did so in China.
And?

Just because they have had cooling problems doesn't mean they're going to stop improving their car. Especially when they can still run the PU how they want to when it actually counts.

And who's to say the bodywork isn't going to get even tighter once the issues are addressed?
I doubt they are having cooling issues to begin with. If so, they would first solve them before further tightening the engine cover. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense.
I also doubt them narrowing it even more as it’s crazy tight already and the tracks will just keep getting warmer as the season progresses. But let’s see.

Slo Poke

Purely in the interests of driver safety and the fact that other teams wouldn’t really want to disclose these facts, I will. The Red Bull cars, Ferraris, Williams, Mercedes, Mclarens and Torro Rosso cars, are these days all fitted with Newey Magic front axels. Should there be any team I’ve missed, this comment applies to you also.
Just before T8 Baku there is a patch of track that the plank underneath bottoms out on. This is sufficient to reset and cancel the Magic, as first Kubica and then Leclerc discovered to their cost. As such it would be wise to refine this upgrade to include a simple Hold Magic facility.
Incidentally, Red Bull and Mercedes already have this advised precaution.

Juzh

albon 359 kmh slipstream vs gio and mag

https://streamable.com/l9fne

dtro

Edax wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 19:32
dtro wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:13
Ricciardo- last of the late brakers eh?!?!?! My boy DK was on the way to the points! Reversing into drivers, talk about red mist!!!
Seems that Ric now is officially going for the title of “torpedo”. Still has a bit to learn, Kvyat usually got it right first time and never had to back up to finish it off. :lol:

Just kidding of course. It was a pity for Kvyat, he did pretty well to keep out of trouble.

As for Ricciardo, wonder how many times per day he will be thinking about not taking the RB contract. Seems that the words from Max last year were profetic, when he said that the next time he would be driving behind Ricciardo, they would be waving blue flags.
Seriously, Ricciardo seems to be having these moments where he thinks that he's in the RB and tries to out brake a competitor only for it to end in a brake lock-up. Today he backed it up with an oddly negligent granny move... literally backed it up into Kvyat. Idk what that was.

My boy DK was just minding his own business, left plenty of space. Might have to start to calling him the Phoenix, if he can make it to 2020.

flexcon

Juzh wrote:albon 359 kmh slipstream vs gio and mag

wow that’s monday
speeds and more there!

does williams still hold the fastest top speed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelistener

Juzh wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 23:09

Biggger DRS with the Baku long straight made this year's overtaking a bit ridiculous. Most of the time the overtake happened WAY before the Turn 1 braking zone. The car in front is totally defenseless.

I guess that's partialy why no major incident happened in the race. Since it's too easy to overtake at the long straight, why bother trying too hard at anywhere else?

Zynerji

So I think it's now official. It was never Ferrari favoring Sebastian over Kimi, no, they were just literally that idiotic with their strategy calls.

ringo

DR needs to accept his late braking trademark was all down to redbull having exceptional braking and down force.
He needs to give it up and just drive the car he is given. His abilities are going to appear very ordinary if he keeps screwing up these wheel to wheel battles. Just forget late braking Danny! and get on with it.
For Sure!!

iotar__

Zynerji wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 02:54
So I think it's now official. It was never Ferrari favoring Sebastian over Kimi, no, they were just literally that idiotic with their strategy calls.
I know it's an expression but they were and for a good reason. Monaco and Hungary (you know which races) were blatant TO that served its purpose of putting or keeping one driver in front. They were not idiotic errors. They did little wrong in terms of strategy here:
A. that's how tyres worked
B. not their fault Leclerc crashed which meant they had limited option with one driver behind vs 2 in front
C. RB wasn't a real threat but was close to enough to make them limit risks in strategy

Anyway, doom and gloom for Ferrari is BS:
- 0,3 s behind in Q on 1.40.000 lap track with one driver sample. The impression was that RB was too close, the rest is speculation.
- close enough in the race with again one driver sample and limited strategy. I don't want to be repetetive :wink: but they need 2 things. For half a decade.

Vasconia

Jambier wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 17:28
Curious to see Spain updates

And 2020 as this year is already done
Maybe we see the opposite of 2018 and 2017 and suddenly Ferrari becomes the team they should be but I cannot be more pessimistic right now. Mercedes has clearly the best car and they are dominating the season as we haven´t seen since 2016. This is very underwhelming when it was supposed to have a 3 team battle and Ferrari being the strongest.

I am fed up with Toto´s and Mercedes sandbaging they also have the best qualy mode, just take a look again and see how they improve for Q3.

And I still don´t believe Bottas can challenge Hamilton for the championship, hope I am wrong, though.

Jambier

Vasconia wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 10:15
Jambier wrote:

Maybe we see the opposite of 2018 and 2017 and suddenly Ferrari becomes the team they should be but I cannot be more pessimistic right now. Mercedes has clearly the best car and they are dominating the season as we haven´t seen since 2016. This is very underwhelming when it was supposed to have a 3 team battle and Ferrari being the strongest.

I am fed up with Toto´s and Mercedes sandbaging they also have the best qualy mode, just take a look again and see how they improve for Q3.

And I still don´t believe Bottas can challenge Hamilton for the championship, hope I am wrong, though.
Mercedes with already four 1-2 in a row.
And I suspect they are working like 2018: Slow start, cautious with engine, and then they will unleash it all to get the world title.

On the other hand, the Ferrari still seem a very very good car. They are really close I think to win races.
But of course bad management, bad strategy, they will lost many points, even if I'm sure they will win many races

And then there is Red bull: For them a "win" is to get on the podium. Car is decent, a little bit worst than 2018, but maybe they can grab some opportunities and win

zac510

I couldn't work out what happened to Alex Albon after his first stop - he dropped way down the order. Was it a long stop or did he lose a lot of time on burnt out tyres on the in-laps?
Anyone who was following can you let me know? Cheers.

Vasconia

Jambier wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 11:07

Mercedes with already four 1-2 in a row.
And I suspect they are working like 2018: Slow start, cautious with engine, and then they will unleash it all to get the world title.

On the other hand, the Ferrari still seem a very very good car. They are really close I think to win races.
But of course bad management, bad strategy, they will lost many points, even if I'm sure they will win many races

And then there is Red bull: For them a "win" is to get on the podium. Car is decent, a little bit worst than 2018, but maybe they can grab some opportunities and win
With these results they won´t need to release any extra power. #-o

Mistakes apart its clear that this Ferrari is worse than 2018´s car so they need a big push if they want big a serious competence.

RB should be competitive in Monaco, Hungary and Singapur as always.

Ringleheim

yelistener wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 02:37
Juzh wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 23:09

Biggger DRS with the Baku long straight made this year's overtaking a bit ridiculous. Most of the time the overtake happened WAY before the Turn 1 braking zone. The car in front is totally defenseless.

I guess that's partialy why no major incident happened in the race. Since it's too easy to overtake at the long straight, why bother trying too hard at anywhere else?
Yes, of course. But that principle is as old as motor racing itself.

Ringleheim

Jambier wrote:

No one seems to be talking about the rather poor health of F1 at the moment.

I agree this season is done, but that is because there is only a single team that is capable of potentially bringing the fight to Mercedes, and that team didn't get it right with the car design this year. So the season is over.

Everyone else is just in the way making up the numbers.

The sport has changed and these engine rules mean if you aren't a major factory effort, you don't have a chance. But there are only four factories in F1 these days, and 2 of those (Honda and Renault) don't seem to really want to be there in the first place. Honda in particular seems incapable of getting out of its own way, and it's been that way with them for a long time now, going back to and including their last stint in F1.

I have no idea what happened to the Honda of the '80s and early '90s, but that organization is dead.

The sport needs Ford, Toyota, BMW, Peugeot, Porsche, Audi---major factory involvement back in it.

This Mercedes dominance might last as long as they choose to remain in the sport, and may only end when they leave!

Reminds me of Audi in sports car racing; a major factory effort running a top notch program at a time when literally no one else was. The result was 10,000 Le Mans victories.