[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

CAEdevice wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 12:58
but a slightly longer wheelbase (maybe between 3250mm and 3500mm) would not make the rules more complicated and it will help us to compare our cars with real F1.
Agreed.
Since you've gone for a concept that is very very similar to a F1, it would make sense to "close the circle" and have a realistic wheelbase too (3500mm sounds good).

BTW, how are you dealing with the "75mm radius" rule?

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 13:29
This is a key point: I have not a precise opinion about keeping this rule or not (maybe having simple surfaces would simplify the mesh and the convergence), but the effects of this rule on the final design will be very important. BTW, it would be quite easy to check the curvature.

machin

I really wouldn't get too hung up on doing exact comparisons with current F1 cars... at the moment the rules are written more like 2008 bodywork rules (when coincidentally if you remember, wheelbases were much smaller), but with legality volumes that more closely match the 2019 rules... There's no 75mm radius rule. Take another example: the FIA front wing rules for 2019 are longer than the rules for our entire cars. You will be allowed to do things with the front wings that they can't (end-plate design is completely free, for example).. so the flow downstream will be different too.

So, for now, just sit back and relax, 8) and put all of your effort into designing some kick-ass "F1-inspired" single seaters when we launch shortly!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

Then, i hope that there will be no "V shaped" front wing because that would make the design phase of that part uselessly harder.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:54
Then, i hope that there will be no "V shaped" front wing because that would make the design phase of that part uselessly harder.
...but they look so aesthetically pleasing :D

Seriously: would it be difficult to model an arrow shaped front wing? Why?

machin

Haha... I see now why Andre said that if we discuss the rules openly it will cause a problem!

Honestly, I think the rules are a good compromise and yes, a lot of that compromise is in the direction of making the life of the organising team simpler (far less rules checking)... 😂😂😂

but that works in your favour also.... I really expect fewer penalties this year...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:58
Seriously: would it be difficult to model an arrow shaped front wing? Why?
To make the "loft function" (or however it's called in your CAD) work without control lines, you'll need to angle the "ribs" (the aerofoils) as well. That lowers the number of possible shapes and control ribs.

Yes, you can use the loft function with control lines and still have all design choices available, but that will increase complexity or time spent designing the Front Wing. I guess two 3D control lines for each airfoil would be needed for a complex design. And some additional issues might hide in the process...i should try it.

It wouldn't be a problem for me personally, but it could be for those who have less CAD experience or less time to spend here.

variante

machin wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:36
Haha... I see now why Andre said that if we discuss the rules openly it will cause a problem!
These are suggestions, not problems. Andre' has the power to just ignore them.
Anyway, it would be better to consider such suggestions, positively or negatively, earlier than one day before the championship starts, with the definitive rulebook already released and when nothing can be changed.
Hey, maybe some of these suggestions can even make sense...

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:45
machin wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 16:36
These are suggestions, not problems. Andre' has the power to just ignore them.
Anyway, it would be better to consider such suggestions, positively or negatively, earlier than one day before the championship starts, with the definitive rulebook already released and when nothing can be changed.
Hey, maybe some of these suggestions can even make sense...
I agree with Variante, we are sharing our point of view: I would accept any decision anyway, but I think that "testing" the rules (or some specific points) here is positive.

LVDH

Hi guys,
looks like I missed some discussions the last days. The main one being the wheelbase. I see that 3.7m might seem more realistic and 3.2 a bit too short. One thing that you guys should keep in mind is that we are running CFD simulations on normal computers which means we are limited the cell size and count. This means that flow structures such as vortices get destroyed much faster than what you would see in reality. And I believe that you guys want to play around with these twisty worms.

I suggested to Richard that we should consider 3.5m. Also I am running good tests with the new software and think that I can make it available end of the week. Seeing the cool F1 car Richard designed in my software is great but we still have some work ahead of us to get the championship running again.

variante wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 13:29
As we are not politicians, we try to only have rules we can enforce.

etsmc

Well i have just started a long period of leave from work so hopefully the extra time might help me move up the ranks. Only problem is simulations will take longer as my home machine isnt quite as speced up as the dedicated server i was using... will be trying somethings out in the coming dat in anticipation of the release of the rules.

schwepes

etsmc wrote:
09 May 2019, 08:12
Well i have just started a long period of leave from work so hopefully the extra time might help me move up the ranks. Only problem is simulations will take longer as my home machine isnt quite as speced up as the dedicated server i was using... will be trying somethings out in the coming dat in anticipation of the release of the rules.
First full-time MVRC engineer? :wink:

LVDH

Ok,
I have finally updated the MantiumFlow version you can find on the challenge page. It is not fully done yet and it does not perfectly account for the new rules yet as they are not done either. Some of you might want to give it a try, as you should esp. like the new post-processing.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
10 May 2019, 17:03
Ok,
I have finally updated the MantiumFlow version you can find on the challenge page. It is not fully done yet and it does not perfectly account for the new rules yet as they are not done either. Some of you might want to give it a try, as you should esp. like the new post-processing.
Thank you. Which version of blueCFD do we need to install? Can we test it with 2018 cars?

Ft5fTL

I have some new options on the updated software, is that intenitonal?

Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing