Liberty is ruining F1

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
dans79

Liberty is ruining F1

The push for for all the standardized parts is stupid. Forumula 1 is a formula series, hence the reason it has formula in the name.

Liberty is slowly ruining F1 with this push for all these standardized parts.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14307 ... s-and-rims
197 104 103 7

Maplesoup

Re: Liberty is ruining F1

You will literally not even notice the difference.

dans79

Maplesoup wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 19:27
I think the Mercedes rims that several teams are trying to duplicate say otherwise.
197 104 103 7

strad

:roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Maplesoup

dans79 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 19:35
Maplesoup wrote:
I think the Mercedes rims that several teams are trying to duplicate say otherwise.
The only time you can see the wheel rims is at the start, finish and pit stops. The rest of the times the things are spinning so stupidly fast you wouldn't be able to tell a Mercedes style rim from a Ferrari one.

I think they should go even further. Standard survival cell, standard front wing with adjustable parts, standard rear wing with adjustable parts. And then open up the development of the rest of the car and floor but no aero devices on the car body.

FrukostScones

Live timing already ruined...

next step: the Formula.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
Maplesoup wrote:
But if no one had them, there would not be an advantage in it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

Big Tea wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 22:31
dans79 wrote:
Maplesoup wrote:
But if no one had them, there would not be an advantage in it.

You're missing the point! Formula One is a development series, so teams are supposed to be able to develop stuff on their own to gain a competitive advantage. Liberty is doing just about everything then can to tern this into a European version of NASCAR. Maybe it's just me, but this continued push to standardize everything and dumb everything down to appease ultra short attention span masses is the wrong direction.
197 104 103 7

Capharol

dans79 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 18:52
The push for for all the standardized parts is stupid. Forumula 1 is a formula series, hence the reason it has formula in the name.

Liberty is slowly ruining F1 with this push for all these standardized parts.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14307 ... s-and-rims
in front said, i havent read the article but......
why is this stupid...
Would you like to go back to Schumacher era?
you like it that Mercs dominate F1 since 2014?
That Mercedes won WDC & WCC in the last 5 years?
that Mercs did 4x a 1-2 in 2019?.....

it's nothing against Merc i would say the same if it would've been Ferrari or Red Bull, hell even Williams.
if ALL teams would have equal parts, equal engine there will be not 1 team that dominates, i will all come down to driver skill
it could even attract others to join back (with cost-cap)
but apparently

dans79

Capharol wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 00:45
in front said, i havent read the article but......
why is this stupid...
Would you like to go back to Schumacher era?
you like it that Mercs dominate F1 since 2014?
That Mercedes won WDC & WCC in the last 5 years?
that Mercs did 4x a 1-2 in 2019?.....

it's nothing against Merc i would say the same if it would've been Ferrari or Red Bull, hell even Williams.
if ALL teams would have equal parts, equal engine there will be not 1 team that dominates, i will all come down to driver skill
it could even attract others to join back (with cost-cap)
but apparently
As I said before, as soon you start making everything spec, its no longer a formula series. Since the beginning F1 has been a Formula series, and both Liberty and a large portion of the seem hell bent on making it a spec series.
197 104 103 7

strad

Nobody is talking about making everything spec. Just a few pieces that would keep costs down and the spectators wouldn't notice except they would see more racing.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

strad wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 01:45
Nobody is talking about making everything spec. Just a few pieces that would keep costs down and the spectators wouldn't notice except they would see more racing.
The following is hardly a few, and this is just we know of so far.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... nkrad/amp/
  • calipers
  • brake discs
  • Brake pads
  • steering column
  • rims
  • Halo
  • Crash structures laterally and behind
  • gearbox
  • nuts
  • drive shaft
  • Brake and accelerator pedal
  • DRS mechanism
  • Innards of the fuel tank such as pumps
  • Pit stop equipment: These include jack, gallows and impact wrench.
197 104 103 7

Maplesoup

dans79 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 02:09
strad wrote:
  • calipers
  • brake discs
  • Brake pads
  • steering column
  • rims
  • Halo
  • gearbox
  • nuts
  • drive shaft
  • DRS mechanism
So just to be clear, calipers, brake discs, brake pads, rims, halo, crash structures, nuts, fuel pumps, pit stop equipment are already all made by external manufacturers and not the teams. Most of which are pretty close to standard parts with a few minor adjustments depending on the team.

The gearbox and drive shaft most teams buy from other teams anyway as well. Getting any extra performance from any of these parts would be very expensive for any team and could impact safety as well. By putting out a tender for these parts it should reduce the overall cost and possibly improve the quality (where possible).

Nothing about standardizing these parts is affecting the "formula" because pretty much none of the teams develop this stuff themselves anyway.

FrukostScones

Maplesoup wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 08:23
dans79 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 02:09
strad wrote:
  • calipers
  • brake discs
  • Brake pads
  • steering column
  • rims
  • Halo
  • gearbox
  • nuts
  • drive shaft
  • DRS mechanism
So just to be clear, calipers, brake discs, brake pads, rims, halo, crash structures, nuts, fuel pumps, pit stop equipment are already all made by external manufacturers and not the teams. Most of which are pretty close to standard parts with a few minor adjustments depending on the team.

The gearbox and drive shaft most teams buy from other teams anyway as well. Getting any extra performance from any of these parts would be very expensive for any team and could impact safety as well. By putting out a tender for these parts it should reduce the overall cost and possibly improve the quality (where possible).

Nothing about standardizing these parts is affecting the "formula" because pretty much none of the teams develop this stuff themselves anyway.
everything will get heavier and less prototype. apart from that I'm not sure that your conclusion about the parts making process is valid. it will affect the Formula.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

jjn9128

dans79 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 01:16
As I said before, as soon you start making everything spec, its no longer a formula series. Since the beginning F1 has been a Formula series, and both Liberty and a large portion of the seem hell bent on making it a spec series.
Better tell Formula 2, Formula 3, Formula Ford, Formula Renault.... Formula 5000, Formula Mazda... heck even in Formula 1 teams used to buy chassis from competitors. Formula just refers to a set of rules by which competitors sign up to go racing. It doesn't guarantee teams are constructors or that they hold IP on every single nut and bolt.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica