Renault F1 R.S. 19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
digitalrurouni

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 19

factory_p wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 10:45
carisi2k wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 23:03
He rushed because he knew he didn't have the straight line power to get past kyvat.
Yet he got past some Ferrari and Merc powered cars down that straight. This doesn't really add up, does it?

I'm not implying the Renault has mega top speed or the PU is better than another PU or anything, don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to stay objective.
I agree. As I pointed before McLaren is doing well with the PU compared to Renault because it's not the PU that is the big issue. Sure it's not as good as the others but it's the chassis that is killing Renault. Ricci made the worst move of his career. IMO he pulled an Alonso.

Zynerji

digitalrurouni wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 14:00
factory_p wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 10:45
carisi2k wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 23:03
He rushed because he knew he didn't have the straight line power to get past kyvat.
Yet he got past some Ferrari and Merc powered cars down that straight. This doesn't really add up, does it?

I'm not implying the Renault has mega top speed or the PU is better than another PU or anything, don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to stay objective.
I agree. As I pointed before McLaren is doing well with the PU compared to Renault because it's not the PU that is the big issue. Sure it's not as good as the others but it's the chassis that is killing Renault. Ricci made the worst move of his career. IMO he pulled an Alonso.
Yes, it's turning out to be another tragic tale of wasted Youth & talent.

F1Krof

Wroom wroom

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PowerandtheGlory

Slightly concerned that so far in Spain it’s been Haas and McLaren shining....
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

korzeniow

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
10 May 2019, 16:11
Lookup long runs from Ric and compare them with McLaren and Haas drivers 8)
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

PowerandtheGlory

korzeniow wrote:
10 May 2019, 20:02
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
10 May 2019, 16:11
Lookup long runs from Ric and compare them with McLaren and Haas drivers 8)
I know.. but the problem this season is if you don’t qualify in the top 8, you waste your decent long run pace.

Renault needs to try and get the car working over 1 lap as well...

Get the right tyre working... Start on the right tyre.. and have decent pace on heavy fuel
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

carisi2k

This qualifying session at barcelona sums up the RS19 in a nutshell I believe. Bad in Q1, good in Q2 and then a bad Q3. It is extremely inconsistent on short runs it seems.

Mclarensenna

carisi2k wrote:
12 May 2019, 03:16
This qualifying session at barcelona sums up the RS19 in a nutshell I believe. Bad in Q1, good in Q2 and then a bad Q3. It is extremely inconsistent on short runs it seems.
Hulk is driving that car much harder in Qualy than last year trying to compete with Ric. I think the fact he binned it in qualifying which is not something we see from him is proof he is overdriving it.

The car is worse than last year it seems. Torro Rosso a team with 1/3 the budget made a massive step forward this year and leapfrogged Renault it seems. Not to mention Renault reliability is worse. How does Cyril still keep his job after all this?

JordanMugen

carisi2k wrote:
How curious!

Poor tyre management?

Blackout

The car isnt just an RS18B but there are very few updates on it compared to the other cars since the beginning of the season. It's one of the most conservative cars aero-wise. There are tiny tweaks on the BB, FW and small changes to the floor (yellow) in Spain and that's it. (RW, monkey seat and t-wing arent updates) In Baku they extended that vane (red) hanging from the lower sidepod lip - now it is attached to the floor, like on the FI... and that's it regarding visible aero updates. Mclaren, Haas, FI and STR look more agressive and prolific in their aero development, not to mention the big three.

It's 2018 all over again... but i'll withdraw what I said about the RS.18; that car looked like a revolution of the RS.17 compared to this RS.19 because atleast the 2018 internals and the packaging have bee entirely redesigned for aero gains compared to RS.17... while this car retains the same internal and external design and philosophy.

JordanMugen

Blackout wrote:
12 May 2019, 13:47
The car isnt just an RS18B but there are very few updates on it compared to the other cars since the beginning of the season. It's one of the most conservative cars aero-wise.
Conservative? But it still doesn't work properly in terms of consistent and predictable downforce. :wink:

Isn't the extreme rake rather aggressive, especially when Renault do not appear to have the vortex control to make it work predictably?

F1Krof

Mclarensenna wrote:
12 May 2019, 03:39
carisi2k wrote:
Hulk is driving that car much harder in Qualy than last year trying to compete with Ric. I think the fact he binned it in qualifying which is not something we see from him is proof he is overdriving it.

The car is worse than last year it seems. Torro Rosso a team with 1/3 the budget made a massive step forward this year and leapfrogged Renault it seems. Not to mention Renault reliability is worse. How does Cyril still keep his job after all this?
I don't think this is a fair comparison. Torro Rosso's whole back-end of the car is from Red Bull's. This would account for jump in performance.
Wroom wroom

PowerandtheGlory

F1Krof wrote:
13 May 2019, 13:06
Mclarensenna wrote:
carisi2k wrote:

I don't think this is a fair comparison. Torro Rosso's whole back-end of the car is from Red Bull's. This would account for jump in performance.
More than a few people have said the design is conservative. Renault were a team that didnt follow the Ferrari/ Alfa / now Mclaren FW concepts. Those teams have slowed through the year while other teams have gained more by not getting rid of the Outwash air. for a long time ive said that Merc's front wing is very simple bu their Barge board area is complex. But all the drivers look to the rear of the Merc in Park ferme - perhaps this is the 4 wheel steer simulation they are achieving in the slow corners- as mentioned elsewhere on these forums.

Renault are underperforming vs a customer team (mclaren) based on Quali and Race. So first thing they need to get a grip on their own chassis and concept and understand better what's happening. the In season test cant come soon enough....!!

dren

F1Krof wrote:
13 May 2019, 13:06
Mclarensenna wrote:
carisi2k wrote:

That and their driver pairing looks to be quite a bit stronger. Gasly, the stand out STR driver last year, is struggling compared to Max in the RBR car.

The Renault appears to either lack overall down force or has issues with consistency; perhaps it's a bit of both? With the issues the drivers are having, I am leaning more towards consistent down force.
Honda!