Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JordanMugen

Re: Red Bull RB15

Sieper wrote:
10 May 2019, 16:46
So, one extra arm split of in a boomerang they borrowed from Merc anyway. And a flow conditioner pasted on the existing top engine cover. That’s it.

Meanwhile Mercedes has a whole organic bargeboard area and big mprovements for the second time this year.

Very disappointed.
Ohhhhhhhh.... While Red Bull have less changes, do you suppose Mercedes has actually gained more laptime than Red Bull?

TwanV

Haha yes as if RB ever relied on elaborate appendices. Let's wait till Q2 and see if they found a fix for the rear.

etusch

roon

Doing more with less is a hallmark of this team.

Alexf1

Anyone know if RB is going for the Mercedes rear wheel steering too any time soon? Heard a while ago Barcelona/Monaco and after summer break would be the major chassis update timings. Mercedes has made its weakness (slow corners) into its strength. I very much believe the rear wheel steering helps with such a long wheelbase

PhillipM

All the cars have passive rear wheel steering.

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
11 May 2019, 13:01
All the cars have passive rear wheel steering.
You mean toe curve through suspension range?
Saishū kōnā

loekf2

roon wrote:
11 May 2019, 06:26
On DutchTV they are pretty sure (source: Horner ?) that Red Bull introduces a new chassis this weekend.

Wouter

loekf2 wrote:
11 May 2019, 14:29
roon wrote:
On DutchTV they are pretty sure (source: Horner ?) that Red Bull introduces a new chassis this weekend.

RB has said that Gasly has received a new chassis. RB did not want to say why that happened.
The Power of Dreams!

shingles

Wouter wrote:
loekf2 wrote:
11 May 2019, 14:29
roon wrote:

RB has said that Gasly has received a new chassis. RB did not want to say why that happened.
Sky crew said RB said it was planned.

gandharva

Car is still bad at mid corner and especially corner exit. Seems they have fixed nothing in this regard. Hopefully the following test will help them to understand the new package better.

godlameroso

gandharva wrote:
11 May 2019, 19:49
Car is still bad at mid corner and especially corner exit. Seems they have fixed nothing in this regard. Hopefully the following test will help them to understand the new package better.
That is down to the way the car puts down power. I don’t have to look at telemetry to tell mid corner is when you start getting back on the gas. So maybe some drivability improvements? Or does it come back to tires?
Saishū kōnā

gandharva

godlameroso wrote:
12 May 2019, 13:33
gandharva wrote:
11 May 2019, 19:49
That is down to the way the car puts down power. I don’t have to look at telemetry to tell mid corner is when you start getting back on the gas. So maybe some drivability improvements? Or does it come back to tires?
A bit of everything. Second best car in slow corners atm, but compared to Mercedes, miles behind.

I think it also has to do with aero. In slow turns, when the tires turn in more, it's very hard to control the then different wake from the fronts without the turning vanes (from last year) on the frontwing. Even harder with a high rake car.

ispano6

It's been noted that Newey has been spending time at the grid examining the McLaren car more than other cars and I found this to be a little telling in what might be in store for RB15s evolution.
It's been on my mind for a year or two and it has to do with the gharial snout nose that Mercedes and now McLaren employ. In particular, the narrowness of the nose is the first anatomical or physiological trait that stands out most and what benefit it brings.
Its design allows for low surface resistance and maximizes air that reaches the bargeboards, making them more effective. Increasing the downforce at the center of chassis and getting more over the diffuser and introducing winglets are likely the next phase.

https://as.com/motor/2019/05/13/formula ... 15842.html