2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This team is making history

They're brilliant

zibby43

Jambier wrote:
12 May 2019, 18:09
This team is making history

They're brilliant
It's impressive to witness.

zibby43

Mark Hughes' Spanish Grand Prix report:

"The dominant factor this weekend was the increased performance advantage Mercedes had over the field – either through the car being let loose upon the track that's most demanding of aerodynamics, or through the effectiveness of its upgrades. It was significantly faster than the Ferrari through every single corner, a cumulative advantage that the Ferrari’s lower drag couldn’t begin to counter. The Merc was particularly devastating through the slow turns of the final sector where that rear-wheel-steer element of the rear suspension seemed particularly valuable. "

This bit is particularly fascinating:

"The Mercedes W10 carried a revised front wing that worked in conjunction with a radically reconfigured barge board. There were three extravagant vortex generators within that hideous-looking complexity where before there’d been one, suggesting that a major unblocking of the airflow passage up and/or downstream had been achieved (enabling extra vortices to work in creating more downforce without losing the advantage of that with more drag). The implication was the speed of the flow down the lower flanks of the bodywork and through the gap between the rear wheel and diffuser had been significantly increased, pulling harder on the underfloor flow and increasing downforce that way. It was one of the most powerful aero upgrades Merc has ever conceived, reckoned to be worth at least 0.3sec."

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... rix-report

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
09 May 2019, 20:09
Found a nice little tidbit of information in this video. Mercedes finished Baku with 7 Kilos of extra fuel in the tank, while Ferrari had to conserve fuel at the end.

It kind of begs the question, Are they running conservatively, or did someone screw up the fuel load calculation.
I just don't buy it. 7 kg too much fuel is absolutely bonkers and a team like mercedes would never miscalculate something as fundamental and important as fuel allocation. Zero chance.
Yes, I remember they messed up last year in melbourne with SC timings and all that, but being 7 kg in clear at the end of the race is something entirely different and unheard of.
It also seems highly unlikely ferrari would mess up in the other way, especially with the lower drag overall and the safety car period.

I know Piola saying something like this gives credence to it, but all the logic and common sense would go against it.

Jolle

Juzh wrote:
13 May 2019, 16:28
dans79 wrote:
09 May 2019, 20:09
Found a nice little tidbit of information in this video. Mercedes finished Baku with 7 Kilos of extra fuel in the tank, while Ferrari had to conserve fuel at the end.

It kind of begs the question, Are they running conservatively, or did someone screw up the fuel load calculation.
I just don't buy it. 7 kg too much fuel is absolutely bonkers and a team like mercedes would never miscalculate something as fundamental and important as fuel allocation. Zero chance.
Yes, I remember they messed up last year in melbourne with SC timings and all that, but being 7 kg in clear at the end of the race is something entirely different and unheard of.
It also seems highly unlikely ferrari would mess up in the other way, especially with the lower drag overall and the safety car period.

I know Piola saying something like this gives credence to it, but all the logic and common sense would go against it.
Well, good chance they ran their PU conservative all GP long. As they were never in any danger from another team, they didn't have to "up" a mode. This would suggest that Mercedes has at least a few more HP in the bag if they need it.

Ferrari did introduce their spec 2 engine a few races early for a reason (and still got smashed). And it means that the drivers are so well behaved that they don't switch into a higher mode to beat their teammate, as we've seen in the past...

digitalrurouni

That's pretty ominous. Seems to me then Mercedes doesn't have to worry too much about managing their engines for the rest of the season as they can probably turn it down quite a bit during the race because their aero is so ahead of the field.

zibby43

digitalrurouni wrote:
13 May 2019, 18:57
That's pretty ominous. Seems to me then Mercedes doesn't have to worry too much about managing their engines for the rest of the season as they can probably turn it down quite a bit during the race because their aero is so ahead of the field.
That's an interesting point.

When I saw that, my first thought was "Wow" and my second thought was, "I wonder how much more they can extract from/develop that new concept now that they know it works as powerfully as it does."

zibby43

Apparently, Mercedes have more upgrades coming that they’re excited about, including their new PU for Canada

Just_a_fan

Lots of people on the forum bashing Mercedes's success etc. Just thought it would be nice to post a "good news" story. Not good news for the poor young lad, but you know what I mean.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-48258777
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 May 2019, 21:57
Lots of people on the forum bashing Mercedes's success etc. Just thought it would be nice to post a "good news" story. Not good news for the poor young lad, but you know what I mean.

What a gesture from Mercedes and Lewis =D>
That said, I feel very sad for Harry because of his terminal cancer, it is devastating :cry:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

LM10

Just_a_fan wrote:

Really nice gesture from Lewis and Mercedes. It's situations like this when everything else than health appears really unimportant.

LM10

RS200E

TAG wrote:
08 May 2019, 20:01
What Mercedes is achieving here will be part of motorsport history, in time.
It will also ve remembered as a time when the F1 owners were too weak to take control of the sport and make it fair. Ferrari and Mercedes control F1, not Liberty.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

digitalrurouni

Just_a_fan wrote:

I read that and damnit that hit me in the feels pretty hard. What a wonderful gesture. Devastating for the family but that's awesome Mercedes! Really well done!

On the Merc upgrades front that's really telling if they're excited about their PU upgrades. Yikes!!

zibby43

LM10 wrote:
14 May 2019, 00:55
Just_a_fan wrote:

Really nice gesture from Lewis and Mercedes. It's situations like this when everything else than health appears really unimportant.
Well said, my friend.