2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Bottas isn't flawless either so far this year. Right now, he has to be worrying about his starts. Lewis has had better ones for 3 consecutive races. In Spain if he had started second he most likely would have gotten passed by Vettel into turn 1 and might have ended up finishing 3rd.
197 104 103 7

santos

dans79 wrote:
14 May 2019, 18:25
Bottas isn't flawless either so far this year. Right now, he has to be worrying about his starts. Lewis has had better ones for 3 consecutive races. In Spain if he had started second he most likely would have gotten passed by Vettel into turn 1 and might have ended up finishing 3rd.
I don't know. It looked like both Mercedes could start 9 and 10, and would finnish first and second. And with time to take an expresso during the pit stop.

GPR-A

dans79 wrote:
If not for Lewis' friendly approach to turn 1 in Baku, Bottas could have finished few places behind. If Lewis would have left no place to turn, then Bottas had to yield and wait and in the mean time Vettel and charging Perez would have passed by. With the fight now being restricted to Mercedes drivers, we would now witness more aggressive driving by Lewis in close encounters with Bottas.

Phil

dans79 wrote:
You are right. If I were Bottas, I'd be more concerned about not maximizing the opportunities against Lewis. He had 3 poles and only converted it into 1 win. Sooner or later, that will come back to haunt him I think, especially if we get to the races where Lewis is extremely strong.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

digitalrurouni

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... s/4388206/

Must be good to be in the Silver Arrow part of the pit straight. Damn!

Mikey05021984

Anyone readed the post about the special ‘diff magic’ mode Mercedes is using? Someone posted it in the Aston Martin-Red Bull tread.
There is a audio where you here the engineer from Lewis saying to Lewis he can use the ‘diff magic’ mode for a few laps... And than Lewis asks his engineer to remind him switching this mode off again. So it looks it is some special mode they can use for a short time of laps...

TAG

Mikey05021984 wrote:
14 May 2019, 20:25
Anyone readed the post about the special ‘diff magic’ mode Mercedes is using? Someone posted it in the Aston Martin-Red Bull tread.
There is a audio where you here the engineer from Lewis saying to Lewis he can use the ‘diff magic’ mode for a few laps... And than Lewis asks his engineer to remind him switching this mode off again. So it looks it is some special mode they can use for a short time of laps...
It's even better than last year's party mode.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

iotar__

GPR -A wrote:
14 May 2019, 18:31
dans79 wrote:
If not for Lewis' friendly approach to turn 1 in Baku, Bottas could have finished few places behind. If Lewis would have left no place to turn, then Bottas had to yield and wait and in the mean time Vettel and charging Perez would have passed by. With the fight now being restricted to Mercedes drivers, we would now witness more aggressive driving by Lewis in close encounters with Bottas.
What does it even mean? He wasn't quick enough in qualifying despite favorable track position and good enough at the start, end of story, the rest is typical "doing his talking on the track" (L.H quote :wink: ).

As for starts:https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14335 ... t-him-race
"On the first lap I felt a vibration in the clutch and that's why the initial getaway was really poor," said Bottas.
"It was kind of biting and releasing, really quick frequency.
"It's really annoying. A lot of hard work this weekend went down with that.
"Obviously I'm not blaming any individual in the team and as we are a strong team we are going to investigate why that happened
Can't wait for results of this investigation.

RonDennis

Phil wrote:
14 May 2019, 17:24
I'm a Lewis fan as much as the next guy in here, but can we get beyond the "Lewis is unbeatable on his best-day" blabla rubbish? Lewis might be one of the most naturally gifted drivers the sport has seen (I firmly believe so), but it doesn't mean that he is unbeatable. He is human, as much as the next guy. Under pressure, he makes mistakes, just as he did when Rosberg pushed him to another level. Bottas has already demonstrated that he has the speed. What Bottas hasn't demonstrated is that he has the speed and the fighting spirit across an entire season. He also has a "knack" for falling back in the race (a bit like Rosberg) when he is behind. However, in a two horse race between team-mates, he can get away with it.
I'm not even a Hamilton fan, far from it. I'm simply not that impressed with Bottas. Yeah he got some poles now, but he was nowhere in the race. I personally don't believe in the Bottas 2.0 hype. We've just done five races, let's see where he is in another 5.

zibby43

Mikey05021984 wrote:
14 May 2019, 20:25
They've had "diff magic" since 2013.

2013 Korean GP Radio Transcript (https://www.racefans.net/2013/10/09/201 ... ranscript/)

Tony Ross (to Nico Rosberg): "We think diff magic is latched currently."

zibby43

digitalrurouni wrote:
14 May 2019, 19:56
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... s/4388206/

Must be good to be in the Silver Arrow part of the pit straight. Damn!
Sounds like Toto is excited about what's coming for the power unit.

Wolff: “There are steps on the power to come, but with mature regulations it's not those immense steps that we have seen in the past. But still some really good work that is being done for engine number two . . .

. . . In terms of unleashing more performance of the chassis, I think we still have good ideas. It's still just the fifth race with these new regulations and more potential to unlock."

GPR-A

iotar__ wrote:
14 May 2019, 20:56
As for starts:https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14335 ... t-him-race
"On the first lap I felt a vibration in the clutch and that's why the initial getaway was really poor," said Bottas.
"It was kind of biting and releasing, really quick frequency.
"It's really annoying. A lot of hard work this weekend went down with that.
"Obviously I'm not blaming any individual in the team and as we are a strong team we are going to investigate why that happened
Can't wait for results of this investigation.
Here you go. Good news for you.

Mercedes: Bottas' slow start likely down to grip, not clutch

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

TAG

All that technology and they don't tell Paul to film horizontally?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

bosyber

TAG wrote:
15 May 2019, 14:48
All that technology and they don't tell Paul to film horizontally?
I think it is deliberate, gives more of a 'home grown' vibe, that's why it sounds, looks hardly edited and a bit rough too, unlike their usual debrief thing.