Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala
-8
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by saviour stivala » Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 pm

The standardized six M12 studs mounting pattern of engine to survival cell and six M12 studs mounting pattern of gearbox to engine has been enforced at least from 2014. So if that gearbox shows four mounting studs it belongs to an era from before the gearbox to engine mountings were standardized.

aleks_ader
73
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by aleks_ader » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Yeah also 2015 they had 6 studs. Just the middle ones are just "holes" and the stud is probbably on the ICE.
Image

They must add subassembly to "justify" the 6 studs rule. Ferrari in 2016 add Mercedes style casette gearbox.
Image
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

zibby43
126
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by zibby43 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:17 am

Image

Jozsusz
-4
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:09 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Jozsusz » Thu May 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Guys, I have a question.
Did Ferrari want back in 2010-2011 the introduction of hybrid engines or they just voted for the V6 hybrid as it was the "minor worst" for them?

Dr. Acula
30
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Dr. Acula » Fri May 17, 2019 8:20 am

Jozsusz wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:17 pm
Guys, I have a question.
Did Ferrari want back in 2010-2011 the introduction of hybrid engines or they just voted for the V6 hybrid as it was the "minor worst" for them?
I'm not sure what you mean with "want back" but i think you mean if Ferrari were very keen to get the V6 Turbo hybrids. Well, if i recall it correctly Ferrari wasn't against the more complex hybrid system compared to what they had back then. But what they didn't wanted was an I4 Turbo Hybrid, which was what Renault suggested originally. Ferrari wanted a V-engine.
From an engineering standpoint the V6 is clearly the better choice for a car with a monocoque because a V-engine can be used as a structural element quite easily where an straight-engine would need extensive structural reinforcement or a subframe to mount the rear suspension.

hurril
44
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by hurril » Wed May 22, 2019 8:45 am

This is mildly interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkCZAzZ ... gs=pl%2Cwn

Has a bar-figure that I wonder if it's the intake manifold pressure showing.

Dr. Acula
30
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Dr. Acula » Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am

hurril wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:45 am
This is mildly interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkCZAzZ ... gs=pl%2Cwn

Has a bar-figure that I wonder if it's the intake manifold pressure showing.
I don't think so. Why would you need over 4 bar manifold pressure while standing in the box and the engine idling? My guess would be oil pressure.

saviour stivala
-8
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by saviour stivala » Wed May 22, 2019 12:41 pm

while a car is standing in the box with engine running the engine will be running as near its idle RPM as possible, who needs 4 bar boost pushing against partially open throttles?

gruntguru
427
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:43 am

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by gruntguru » Wed May 22, 2019 11:50 pm

There's an echo in here.
je suis charlie

Jolle
139
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Jolle » Thu May 23, 2019 12:09 am

Dr. Acula wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am
hurril wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:45 am
This is mildly interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkCZAzZ ... gs=pl%2Cwn

Has a bar-figure that I wonder if it's the intake manifold pressure showing.
I don't think so. Why would you need over 4 bar manifold pressure while standing in the box and the engine idling? My guess would be oil pressure.
for a driver intake pressures are not really interesting, but tire pressures are!

Jolle
139
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by Jolle » Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 am

Dr. Acula wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:20 am
Jozsusz wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:17 pm
Guys, I have a question.
Did Ferrari want back in 2010-2011 the introduction of hybrid engines or they just voted for the V6 hybrid as it was the "minor worst" for them?
I'm not sure what you mean with "want back" but i think you mean if Ferrari were very keen to get the V6 Turbo hybrids. Well, if i recall it correctly Ferrari wasn't against the more complex hybrid system compared to what they had back then. But what they didn't wanted was an I4 Turbo Hybrid, which was what Renault suggested originally. Ferrari wanted a V-engine.
From an engineering standpoint the V6 is clearly the better choice for a car with a monocoque because a V-engine can be used as a structural element quite easily where an straight-engine would need extensive structural reinforcement or a subframe to mount the rear suspension.
Not just for an engineering standpoint, a small subframe would of handled that, plus if everybody had the same problem there wouldn't be a problem. It has more to do with marketing. A Ferrari with an inline four is out of the question. While Mercedes and Renault saw potential, road cars with a 1.6 turbo are kinda the sweet spot for a hot hatch, not the case for a bespoke sports car.

The Mercedes AMG A Class F1 Edition, or the Renault Clio F1 Sport (without a part of F1 tech, just an inline 4 with a turbo)