Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shady

Re: Red Bull RB15

Peter P. was his protege..

ispano6

Yep. If you look at McLaren's bargeboards they look quite similar to Red Bulls. Mercedes does now too. You never know, maybe Adrian is making them think they have the right concept :)

Would not be surprised to see teams mimicking other teams solutions. Just a matter of how quickly and effectively can you develop changes that make a real difference.

JordanMugen

Those carbon-fibre engine hoses --- fancy!! :D
ispano6 wrote:
14 May 2019, 09:03
It's been noted that Newey has been spending time at the grid examining the McLaren car more than other cars and I found this to be a little telling in what might be in store for RB15s evolution.
It's been on my mind for a year or two and it has to do with the gharial snout nose that Mercedes and now McLaren employ. In particular, the narrowness of the nose is the first anatomical or physiological trait that stands out most and what benefit it brings.
Its design allows for low surface resistance and maximizes air that reaches the bargeboards, making them more effective. Increasing the downforce at the center of chassis and getting more over the diffuser and introducing winglets are likely the next phase.

https://as.com/motor/2019/05/13/formula ... 15842.html
Excellent analysis!

Toro Rosso had that type of nose before (though perhaps not so extreme and without a "cape" behind it)...

Mamba

JordanMugen wrote:
15 May 2019, 17:48
Those carbon-fibre engine hoses --- fancy!! :D
ispano6 wrote:
14 May 2019, 09:03
It's been noted that Newey has been spending time at the grid examining the McLaren car more than other cars and I found this to be a little telling in what might be in store for RB15s evolution.
It's been on my mind for a year or two and it has to do with the gharial snout nose that Mercedes and now McLaren employ. In particular, the narrowness of the nose is the first anatomical or physiological trait that stands out most and what benefit it brings.
Its design allows for low surface resistance and maximizes air that reaches the bargeboards, making them more effective. Increasing the downforce at the center of chassis and getting more over the diffuser and introducing winglets are likely the next phase.

https://as.com/motor/2019/05/13/formula ... 15842.html
Excellent analysis!

Toro Rosso had that type of nose before (though perhaps not so extreme and without a "cape" behind it)...

https://realsport101.com/wp-content/upl ... P2_1-1.jpg
The fact that they abandoned that nose-concept for 2018 should be enough telling that the Mercedes nose is not a silver bullet (excuse the pun) to performance gain.

ispano6

They actually aren't that similar to STR12's nose. Mercedes has the tip of the nose similar to the gharial's nose tip which protrudes up and is wider and the snout portion is narrow. But the connecting stands are narrow too which is peculiar.
There are disadvantages to being too narrow at the tip of the nose due to center of pressure being too narrow at the wing connection and most teams space out the nose to wing stands and Red Bull has one of the widest. Mercedes' gharial concept has evolved and is specialized and what might be necessary to balance the long wheel base.

Mclaren's nose follows a mix of both with the two side inlets of the nose feeding into the winglets attached to the nose cone. This is pretty clever. But Giorgio Piola didn't seem convinced whether or not McLaren's package would deliver and withheld judgement for after the race. Haven't heard of his post race analysis but he seemed pretty impressed with Red Bull's upgrades.

lio007

ispano6 wrote:
16 May 2019, 06:30
They actually aren't that similar to STR12's nose. Mercedes has the tip of the nose similar to the gharial's nose tip which protrudes up and is wider and the snout portion is narrow. But the connecting stands are narrow too which is peculiar.
There are disadvantages to being too narrow at the tip of the nose due to center of pressure being too narrow at the wing connection and most teams space out the nose to wing stands and Red Bull has one of the widest. Mercedes' gharial concept has evolved and is specialized and what might be necessary to balance the long wheel base.

Mclaren's nose follows a mix of both with the two side inlets of the nose feeding into the winglets attached to the nose cone. This is pretty clever. But Giorgio Piola didn't seem convinced whether or not McLaren's package would deliver and withheld judgement for after the race. Haven't heard of his post race analysis but he seemed pretty impressed with Red Bull's upgrades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCWissf-Hc0
I don't get what was "so new" on RB15's FW (as mentioned in the Video)?

Bandit1216

lio007 wrote:
16 May 2019, 06:43
ispano6 wrote:
16 May 2019, 06:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCWissf-Hc0
I don't get what was "so new" on RB15's FW (as mentioned in the Video)?
I think he says the "new front wing is on both cars, but completely new updated barge boards". So he doesn't really say the front wing is very new.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

zibby43

bigblue

Whoah, that's a big one.

OO7
OO7

bigblue wrote:
17 May 2019, 00:46
Whoah, that's a big one.
That's what she sa...! Oh, never mind.

ispano6

Tighter bodywork from the "free gains" available in the 4 to 5 areas RB wanted to address?

seense

Now also clearly visible on car pictures: sidepod openings shrank in Spain.

Baku

Spain

lio007

seense wrote:
17 May 2019, 13:09
Now also clearly visible on car pictures: sidepod openings shrank in Spain.

Baku
https://verstappen.nl/img/2019/Formule_ ... 08-20b.jpg

Spain
https://verstappen.nl/img/2019/Formule_ ... gb-12b.jpg
Really? I can't see it!

seense

It now has a concave curvature just below the sidepod wing. Before it had a convex curvature all around.

zibby43

ispano6 wrote:
17 May 2019, 05:58
Tighter bodywork from the "free gains" available in the 4 to 5 areas RB wanted to address?
It's an area I've been keeping an eye on lately, that's for certain.