2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

bigblue wrote:
15 May 2019, 23:05
Not obvious to me what I'm meant to be hearing. The Honda does it's odd cyclinder deactivation (?) roughness, the Merc seems to do something similar but less extreme. Perhaps it's a lot more obvious if you were there, or perhaps I'm deaf !
What is curious, is that the other Merc engines (customers) don't do that sound, Mercedes are the only... And, as I said before, they are the only team not having oversteer on the chicane exit. Maybe it's too much obsession with some "trick" Merc are using, but fact is that their car is far superior there than anyone else

Zynerji

Marti_EF3 wrote:
15 May 2019, 23:56
bigblue wrote:
15 May 2019, 23:05
Not obvious to me what I'm meant to be hearing. The Honda does it's odd cyclinder deactivation (?) roughness, the Merc seems to do something similar but less extreme. Perhaps it's a lot more obvious if you were there, or perhaps I'm deaf !
What is curious, is that the other Merc engines (customers) don't do that sound, Mercedes are the only... And, as I said before, they are the only team not having oversteer on the chicane exit. Maybe it's too much obsession with some "trick" Merc are using, but fact is that their car is far superior there than anyone else
Do the customer teams get dat "diff magik"? :mrgreen:

GhostF1

The fact it's an engine mode they have to enter and get out of relatively quickly (where Hamilton was worried he'd forget to turn it off). Maybe it's throttle position activated when the mode is on and it is far more gradual in power delivery. We hear the Merc basically ignition cutting at the crucial point where traction is required. To make it a legal mode and not a traction control event would be down to very fine details/grey areas though.

Marti_EF3

And may be that Redbull are trying something similar with Honda, and that's why they abuse and break the driveshafts? Now they've a works deal, they can do "unique things" like that again... It's strange what is happening with the driveline... So maybe they are on to something too :roll:

seense

Is it traction really where the mercedes is making the difference? They have a 5 to 10 kph higher minimum speed in slow corners. They gain a lot of time before throttle applied on exit?

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
16 May 2019, 09:44
And may be that Redbull are trying something similar with Honda, and that's why they abuse and break the driveshafts? Now they've a works deal, they can do "unique things" like that again... It's strange what is happening with the driveline... So maybe they are on to something too :roll:
It is certain that they are trying to find a way to make car faster and I am sure they will make it but more important question is will it be enough ? It is miracle more than what Liverpool did :-)

Bill

Mercedes has significantly more downforce than redbull and Ferrari,the new regulation hurt high rake cars more Horner said that . Everything else just an distraction the new regulations have been a flop they should have focused more on closer grid among top three rather focus on elusive overtaking than none would be doing if teams are further apart.fans want competition between teams a fight even if they little overtaking

aran.vtec

Bill wrote:
16 May 2019, 10:26
Mercedes has significantly more downforce than redbull and Ferrari,the new regulation hurt high rake cars more Horner said that . Everything else just an distraction the new regulations have been a flop they should have focused more on closer grid among top three rather focus on elusive overtaking than none would be doing if teams are further apart.fans want competition between teams a fight even if they little overtaking
I still believe that if they just kept 2016 regulations until now they would of achieved both.

Bill

But the aero regulations of 2016 was not materially different from that of 2018 is was just an enlargement so they should have kept what we had last year, I mean the racing towards the year end was fantastic even Kimi joined the party we genuinely had three teams with a possibility of fighting for a win but a change of front wing means start from scratch more so for Rbr and Ferrari

Marti_EF3

A closer look of the W10 on the chicane... :roll:

nzjrs

Marti_EF3 wrote:
15 May 2019, 21:35
Look that Merc on the chicane... And the sound it does exiting it :roll:
Some of these are awesome! Out of interest - did you take any videos looking at the same place on track, but using a tripod? Would be cool to do some video comparisons.

Marti_EF3

nzjrs wrote:
16 May 2019, 13:36
Marti_EF3 wrote:
15 May 2019, 21:35
Look that Merc on the chicane... And the sound it does exiting it :roll:
Some of these are awesome! Out of interest - did you take any videos looking at the same place on track, but using a tripod? Would be cool to do some video comparisons.
I don't have a tripod, but I took some on the same spot and the camera on the same position. Later I will upload two or three more I've like that last of the Mercedes, but with the Ferrari, Mclaren and some more cars I think

HPD

In the race, the distances increase. Without the safety car, Max Verstappen would finish in mathematical terms, 23 seconds behind and Sebastian Vettel with 38 seconds. It took Lewis Hamilton at the top in accordance with the statements of the Mercedes engineers still comfortable.

The image of the tire revealed another bitter truth. The Mercedes would have been the only car that would have made a one-stop race at full speed. Ferrari and Red Bull should have changed twice in full attack due to high-wear tires.

Mercedes does not care on most routes how much time they lose on the straights. Because they win time twice and three times in shifts.
Mercedes has deliberately gone this way, an engineer tells us: "The fuel limit was raised from 105 to 110 kilograms, which was also a gift for aerodynamics, they were able to pack and sacrifice efficiency."

Ferrari and Red Bull, on the other hand, have built super efficient cars. In Red Bull it is in the minds of engineers. They were five years long, one must compensate for the PS deficit of the Renault engine through small wings, but more use of the car. Now you are with Honda to only 30 HP of Mercedes, but it has less downforce. And already the chassis is in the review.

Ferrari was launched with the introduction of wide cars in the Red Bull line. That worked well for two years.

The simplest front wing favors the aerodynamic philosophy of the Mercedes. The sets are long instead of a large angle. The Mercedes W10 is between the wheels by 7.9 inches longer than the Red Bull RB15 and 4.5 inches like the Ferrari SF90. Because the Mercedes is behind about 41 millimeters less high in the springs than the Red Bull and 23 millimeters less than the Ferrari.

When turning in a curve, the new front spoiler no longer allows the engineers to directly attack the turbulence of air created in the front wheels that have been hit. That has to happen right behind that. Mercedes has, due to the length of the vehicle, more space between the front wheels and the side boxes accommodate deflectors to calm the flow backwards.

Mercedes has obviously drawn the right conclusions from the Abu Dhabi test last December. A stiffer casing means that the tire gets worse inside. A thinner tread makes the heat worse in the tire. Therefore, the window of the tire slid up.

An engineer tells us: "Ferrari and Red Bull are slipping so much in the first two sectors of Barcelona that they enter the third sector with a surface that is too hot.When Mercedes, the tires are still in the window, so you win twice in the last sector, through more contact pressure and more tire grip ".

It was Mercedes who advised Pirelli last year to reduce the footprint on the critical tracks. If the silver arrows have had a problem in the last five years, then the tires tend to overheat.

Mercedes was also among the six teams that voted for the new aerodynamic rules. By the way, Ferrari too. Red Bull was against. For a good reason. And Mercedes has not vetoed when the fuel limit was raised.

The Mercedes V6 Turbo is the most economical engine in the field. But the advantage it gives up when it comes to fuel consumption, turned out to be less than the advantage one gains in aerodynamics.

This does not bode well for the future. Mercedes can build on the best platform. That's why updates work better than the competition. Ferrari and Red Bull are practically tied hands. They will only take a big step forward if they change the concept of their cars.

At first glance, it seems that Red Bull has the easiest job ahead of Ferrari. After all, it is not easy to mount a steep wing in the rear, which then delivers any downforce. Everything has to be balanced in front. And there are limits for engineers due to the new front wing.

After all, Red Bull has a wing concept like Mercedes. Ferrari went by the other side. But it is not so easy to copy the wing of the competition. The aerodynamics are so complex that you really have to change everything from front to back.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... t-vorteil/
:cry:

SmallSoldier

Bill wrote:But the aero regulations of 2016 was not materially different from that of 2018 is was just an enlargement so they should have kept what we had last year, I mean the racing towards the year end was fantastic even Kimi joined the party we genuinely had three teams with a possibility of fighting for a win but a change of front wing means start from scratch more so for Rbr and Ferrari
Everyone had to start from scratch... Mercedes simply that a better job than anyone else... It’s not about Rake Philosophy, they simply did a better job designing their car and are doing a better job managing the tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill

" managing the tires" no they not managing the tires they ask for tyres to be charged to favor them problems they had for five years ,as for aero they were kin to vote change because they knew it will be in their favor at the expense of Ferrari and Rbr . That article is wrong Ferrari didn't vote for regulations change Alfa did that why their technical director Jorg Zander lost his jop