2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Raleigh

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Manoah2u wrote:
18 May 2019, 01:42
Completely out of touch. which is quite frankly what you're seeing in their results.
As in the words of Alonso : 'GP2 car! GP2 car!'
And quite frankly, i think GP2/F2 cars would obliterate the FW42.
Well, not with 620hp anyway, the F2 pole time at Barcelona was a 1:28:031 and Russell did a 1:19:072 in Q1.

Plus, the fastest Williams (Russell) was within a second of the fastest Alfa Romeo (Raikkonen) and the fastest Racing Point (Perez), they are still clear slowest but the margins seem to be coming down.

Scorpaguy

Manoah2u wrote:
There's no official TD, but i'm pretty sure Paddy Lowe has a good contract and they're still having to pay him.
Wow, do you really think so? Surely there was some sort of performance or egregious malfeasance clause...of course I do not have a copy of said contract. I would think that if they were having to pay PL, CW could/would/should retaliate by making public his incompetence. Thus, I assume he agreed to take a small severance package and just disappear...crap the Guy could not even put a crap car on the grid on time ( with ample budgets).

Still, your comment about a lack of news does make me ponder the possibility that PL failed due to the sophomoric bureaucracies at Williams.
Last edited by Scorpaguy on 18 May 2019, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u

Scorpaguy wrote:
18 May 2019, 05:01
Manoah2u wrote:
There's no official TD, but i'm pretty sure Paddy Lowe has a good contract and they're still having to pay him.
Wow, do you really think so? Surely there was some sort of performance or egregious malfeasance clause...of course I do not have a copy of said contract. I would think that if they were having to pay PL, CW could/would/should retaliate by making public his incompetence. Thus, I assume he agreed to take a small severance package and just disappear...crap the Guy could not even put a crap car on the grid on time ( with ample budgets).

Still, your comment about a lack of news does make me ponder the possibility that PL failed due to the sophomoric bureaucracies Williams.
that last one is much more probable on hitting the nail on the head.

Lets not forget Paddy's past success. The guy knows what he's doing and is very much capable.
Hell, he had a run at Williams before, successful.
Though he's no Newey, let's for comparisan say he's Schumacher, or you know what, Mansell.
History of brilliant performance, and he gets a seat in a fresh team and can't make an impression,
he slides off the track all the time, and after 1 race decides to call it quits after the people accuse him of having fallen from grace.
would that sound even remotely logical or presumable? i don't think so.

I'd say the same happened with Paddy Lowe.
By the sound of how things work, doesn't really look like paddy is the main problem. If that was the cause, i think things would have went down a bit different to be honest. Sure, he won't get the full fee if things were going well,
but i'm doubtfull they can simply put him on 'hold' or on a leave, after being in a debacle that's out of PL's hands,
and then don't give him a dime. I'd say he either still gets paid a 'small sum' or got a 'there you go' paycheck and walk out the door please. that, or he's going to resume work later on in the year, who knows.

If any, there's been proof of years of incompentence at Williams, not the other way around.

Offcourse though, that's how i see things. :wink:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Raleigh wrote:
18 May 2019, 04:33
Manoah2u wrote:
Completely out of touch. which is quite frankly what you're seeing in their results.
As in the words of Alonso : 'GP2 car! GP2 car!'
And quite frankly, i think GP2/F2 cars would obliterate the FW42.
Well, not with 620hp anyway, the F2 pole time at Barcelona was a 1:28:031 and Russell did a 1:19:072 in Q1.

Plus, the fastest Williams (Russell) was within a second of the fastest Alfa Romeo (Raikkonen) and the fastest Racing Point (Perez), they are still clear slowest but the margins seem to be coming down.
oh ok, thanks for the clarification i didn't know the gap was that big though. :oops:
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

tinvek

Raleigh wrote:
the fastest Williams (Russell) was within a second of the fastest Alfa Romeo (Raikkonen) and the fastest Racing Point (Perez), they are still clear slowest but the margins seem to be coming down.
it amazes me that this hasn't been picked up by more people and journalists
(do i mean journalists aren't people? you decide )

now it may be a one off result of the track but you could also argue that about mercedes' increased advantage so lets be positive.

new regulations, especially new aero regulations, have always traditionally penalised the (underfunded) teams at the back unless they happen to unlock a hidden advantage / loophole, i just hope williams manage to get themselves into a better position to react when the next regulation change takes effect

bosyber

Scorpaguy wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Wow, do you really think so? Surely there was some sort of performance or egregious malfeasance clause...of course I do not have a copy of said contract. I would think that if they were having to pay PL, CW could/would/should retaliate by making public his incompetence.
That's quite a good way to get a very negative judgement from any labour law court, I'd say.

Also, given stricter than in most countries libel/slander laws in the UK, it could easily lead to a libel/slander suit (depending on whether those are done in writing or in word), which you might believe would be easy to win for Williams, but which will pretty certainly lead to internal situation being subject to review by the court, and possibly subsequently leaking - few businesses would choose that, and given Williams has been tight-lipped about any problems in the team, they surely wouldn't want that.
Scorpaguy wrote:
Still, your comment about a lack of news does make me ponder the possibility that PL failed due to the sophomoric bureaucracies at Williams.
Yeah, either that or getting stuck between legacy camps within the team (my opinion), leading to a lot of resistance to actually do what he felt was needed. No argument that he probably wasn't the right man for the job, but as others have said, given the last decade(s) of the team, not sure that's mainly his fault.

netoperek

Claire said that aero team found a way to unlock some performance. Let's hope they can catch up with the rest of the pack and put the upgrades on both cars this time

humble sabot

ringo wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 03:07
What gets me at Williams... is how teams like Haas, Torro Rosso and Racing Point make things seem so much easier and organized.
Is Williams missing out on some new model for F1 or something? Why do they seem to insulated to changes in the F1 environment.
To be fair, Williams is the only concern in that pack that is not exclusively a F1 team. They maintain their viability by not focusing their entire economics on the F1 circus, and as mentioned prior they're floating a profitable business at the end of the day.

I'm not sure about that second point. I think it's the total institutional knowledge of how to execute on the latest innovations at a competitive level, since the level is so high and they've admitted to serious correlation issues on aero.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

bill shoe

Raleigh wrote:
Damn, I was hoping George would put in a killer lap today in Monaco and maybe outqualy one of the Racing Points or Alfas if they got held up a bit... Williams needs a nip of positive energy from something.

netoperek

bill shoe wrote:
26 May 2019, 02:29
Raleigh wrote:
Damn, I was hoping George would put in a killer lap today in Monaco and maybe outqualy one of the Racing Points or Alfas if they got held up a bit... Williams needs a nip of positive energy from something.
Russel did put a killer lap. He has been outstanding, used empty track and fresh tires to the max, getting closer to the walls than earlier in the weekend. His best sectors combined would result in 0.007s better laptime. I don't think he could be 0.2s faster even if he went like Kubica in 2010. To be honest I'm surprised he went so risky just to top Robert's time, they had no chance to reach p18, no matter what.
Kubica also put a very good lap, considering 6 laps old tires, though it doesn't matter that much here. Due to traffic there was no chance to get a 3rd stint like George, so he stayed on used, burned some fuel made a bit of space for himself and got a nice, clean lap.

SmallSoldier

Hoping that now that Monaco is behind that all those fans saying that Kubica couldn’t race will realize that he is just fine... He may not be doing an exceptional job, but his performance is on par with Russell (which is a great talent) and his disability isn’t handicapping him at all... Glad he finished the race in Monaco (which had to be tough for him).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bosyber

The result in the race is surely the best result for the team this year- Russell ahead of a (dire) Stroll, and the team beating Alfa, by staying in the race and not making mistakes while others did.

netoperek

It's a shame that circumstances made it look different, but on the track where many critics suggested he would struggle with his hand, for the first time this season Robert has been better than Russel, who has been not too shabby either. Kimi damaged Roberts front wing on lap one, but the damage have not been bad enough to validate change. Decision not change during SC has been arguably not the wisest, but I get they wanted to diversify and it's not a surprise they play their tactics for George. Giovanazzi's attack happened with Robert on P15 just behind Kimi. After about 20 laps and finally pitting for hards, Robert has been able to register nearly 2s faster laptimes than George, despite "defend mode", then he sped up, gaining 2.6s a lap to the pack. About lap 30ish Kubica has already been doing 1.17.3 ( GR will get to 1.17.5 only at 61st lap iirc), faster than many other drivers on the track at the moment. From team radio, it looked like Robert wanted to gain as much ground before being lapped and then pit for fresh tires instead of loosing time being pushed aside when blue flagged. This didn't happen and worse yet, he had to "go defend" to "do Hamilton" and nurse the tires to the end.
After the race, when asked about strategy calls, he only responded that he always thought that driver in front gets a priority...
Anyways quite good race overall for Williams. At least they got some racing this time. Both drivers drove well and without mistakes, let's just hope the car will get more competitive next round.

Morteza

Fastest pit stop of the race =D>
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manoah2u

good to see Williams back on top of their lightning speed pitstops.