Renault F1 R.S. 19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PowerandtheGlory

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 19

dren wrote:
13 May 2019, 15:47
F1Krof wrote:
13 May 2019, 13:06
Mclarensenna wrote:
12 May 2019, 03:39

Hulk is driving that car much harder in Qualy than last year trying to compete with Ric. I think the fact he binned it in qualifying which is not something we see from him is proof he is overdriving it.

The car is worse than last year it seems. Torro Rosso a team with 1/3 the budget made a massive step forward this year and leapfrogged Renault it seems. Not to mention Renault reliability is worse. How does Cyril still keep his job after all this?
I don't think this is a fair comparison. Torro Rosso's whole back-end of the car is from Red Bull's. This would account for jump in performance.
That and their driver pairing looks to be quite a bit stronger. Gasly, the stand out STR driver last year, is struggling compared to Max in the RBR car.

The Renault appears to either lack overall down force or has issues with consistency; perhaps it's a bit of both? With the issues the drivers are having, I am leaning more towards consistent down force.
I think Gasly is doing an 'OK' job but compared to Max... who is on another level this year.

Gasly had a chance to 'do a Leclerc' under no pressure and outshine him, but Max has smashed him. He is def their No.2 and will always have second choice on parts and things.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

JordanMugen

Is it possible Renault could reduce the rake of the RS19 from 2.1 degrees down to 1.8 or 1.9 degrees (like the Red Bull), without doing a full car redesign? Maybe that would Renault the downforce consistency they are lacking?

bill shoe

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 May 2019, 16:11
Gasly had a chance to 'do a Leclerc' under no pressure and outshine him, but Max has smashed him. He is def their No.2 and will always have second choice on parts and things.
Max may be tied with Hamilton as best in the world for raw speed. Riccardo was good enough to hang close with Max, in fact Riccardo outqualified Max fully 1/3 of the time in 2018. Now RB are stuck with someone who may never outqualy Max. And they probably don't care either. Riccardo is the one good component in the R.S. 19 (there, achieved thread relevance!).

PowerandtheGlory

bill shoe wrote:
21 May 2019, 22:53
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 May 2019, 16:11
Max may be tied with Hamilton as best in the world for raw speed. Riccardo was good enough to hang close with Max, in fact Riccardo outqualified Max fully 1/3 of the time in 2018. Now RB are stuck with someone who may never outqualy Max. And they probably don't care either. Riccardo is the one good component in the R.S. 19 (there, achieved thread relevance!).
Ricciardo was def good enough, agreed. I think max is maturing nicely into a very fine driver.. please please we need more teams fighting against Merc right now, Renault included..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Morteza

Renault has added these nose winglets alongside its ‘S’-duct solution in Monaco.

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NtsParadize

Image Image Image

Morteza

Different flap specifications for Renault in Monaco
Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

New rear wing endplates

Also a a different DRS actuator
Last edited by Morteza on 07 Jun 2019, 00:31, edited 2 times in total.

MtthsMlw

New (?) vertical winglet on the floor
AMuS

Morteza

Renault has modified a front wing for FP1 to gather deflection data (via @tgruener)

JordanMugen

The improvement in RS19 performance between Baku and Montreal has been hugely impressive! =D> Maybe the RS19 has potential after all! =D>

The weak areas like braking, traction and kerb riding seem to have been improved drastically, and now the RS19 seems to be behaving quite well in these areas. =D>

Or are the Baku and Montreal circuits not as similar as I am assuming. :wtf:

Enstone

humble sabot

In terms of layout they aren't super different. I can't comment on the kerbs, but it's a known thing that the CGV pavement eats tyres, whereas Baku is notoriously slippery, or at least was this year. You'd need more initmate knowledge of both to be able to directly compare them given that discrepancy.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

carisi2k

Has anybody got an idea of this big upgrade coming for the RS19 at paul ricard?

F1Krof

carisi2k wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 10:42
Has anybody got an idea of this big upgrade coming for the RS19 at paul ricard?
A few more horses on the engine side I heard.
Wroom wroom