Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tarkonte

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Hi all!
Just to suggest this interesting article about the POU usage by Mercedes (it's in Italian but Google translation sounds pretty well!).
To be noted that Ferrari 2017 had the same concept banned by FIA and, as far as I know, the more the offset between push rod and vertical rotation axe, the more the height variation directly proportional to the steering angle.
It's a matter of pure geometry...

zibby43

mmred

There will be a B car in Hungary with suspension updates cause this version proved inadequate to put in temperature the newer spec of Pirelli tyres and aero updates as well

Corriere dello Sport

bosyber

zibby43 wrote:
23 May 2019, 05:59
[snip]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7MvSfXXYAAI3Dn.jpg
[snip]
I hadn't really appreciated how tight that inner corner of the top front wing flap is there - is that new, and is that likely meant to give some effect, or is it just a consequence of how they want the outer curvature to be while keeping the inside as straight as possible?

mmred

bosyber wrote:
23 May 2019, 09:58
zibby43 wrote:
[snip]
[snip]
I hadn't really appreciated how tight that inner corner of the top front wing flap is there - is that new, and is that likely meant to give some effect, or is it just a consequence of how they want the outer curvature to be while keeping the inside as straight as possible?
they want to maximize the front wing area while keeping the y250 as low and as weak as possible

ferkan

Funny how Alfa and STR look so strong considering their FW design :?

Just_a_fan

mmred wrote:
23 May 2019, 15:19
bosyber wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
[snip]
[snip]
they want to maximize the front wing area while keeping the y250 as low and as weak as possible
The rules place a geometric limit in this area and Ferrari are running their flaps to the full extent they are allowed. It's not about making the Y250 weak. You're the only person in the world who thinks they want a weak Y250...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bosyber

mmred wrote:
bosyber wrote:
Thanks.

Dipesh1995

You want a Y250 vortex of sufficient strength such that it is able to deal with the front wheel wake and provide downwash to the bargeboards and floor but one that is not unnecessarily strong otherwise the induced drag penalty becomes too great.
Last edited by Dipesh1995 on 23 May 2019, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

bosyber

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2019, 15:54
mmred wrote:
bosyber wrote:

The rules place a geometric limit in this area and Ferrari are running their flaps to the full extent they are allowed. It's not about making the Y250 weak. You're the only person in the world who thinks they want a weak Y250...
Oh, right, hadn't realised that meant me rekindling that discussion again! Just_a_fan, so you are saying that rather sharp corner on the underside of the top flap is just to get the sharp slope on the outside, while keeping the inner, downforce producing part as straight as possible?

mmred

Dipesh1995 wrote:
23 May 2019, 16:21
You want a Y250 vortex of sufficient strength such that it is able to deal with the front wheel wake and provide downwash to the bargeboards and floor but one that is not unnecessarily strong otherwise the induced drag penalty becomes too great.
exactly
the problem is there is enough strenght as it is with the actual fwingsand also y250 is not the best way to deal with front wake, there are also deviators for that so you end with too much y250 anyway

Mamba

mmred wrote:
23 May 2019, 09:51
There will be a B car in Hungary with suspension updates cause this version proved inadequate to put in temperature the newer spec of Pirelli tyres and aero updates as well

Corriere dello Sport
How reliable is that source? I feel like pretty much every week reports massive Ferrari updates only to see tiny ones appear. They have to do a B-spec with suspension improvements and such if they know it will help otherwise they are a year behind on tyre knowledge... A good charge after the summer break can only do them good leading to next year.

mmred

Mamba wrote:
23 May 2019, 16:45
mmred wrote:
23 May 2019, 09:51

Corriere dello Sport
How reliable is that source? I feel like pretty much every week reports massive Ferrari updates only to see tiny ones appear. They have to do a B-spec with suspension improvements and such if they know it will help otherwise they are a year behind on tyre knowledge... A good charge after the summer break can only do them good leading to next year.
i dont know . italian sport magazines are more reliable than usual news magazines but they are not autosport that it is usually the more reliable... but everybody talks about the B spec... it s the date and the amount of changes that it is the issue

hollus

A whole series of personal banter, grossly off-topic, has been removed.
You know who you are. Shame on you! ;-)
But seriously, no more. Thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

Dream Theater

ferkan wrote:
23 May 2019, 15:48
Funny how Alfa and STR look so strong considering their FW design :?
That's because you're assuming that all problems that Ferrari is facing are coming solely from the front wing design, without having any proof that supports this hypothesis.