Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Red Bull RB15

Please point out the "tunnels" formed by the VGs.

Also, the vortex doesn't run under the floor as you state, it runs along the top edge of the floor.

How much do you make from this made up guff?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Maritimer

Those vanes would send their vortex down the top of the floor to the inside of the rear wheel would they not? Floor edge doesnt seem like it would allow the air to roll over the edge and really seal anything that far up the car.

godlameroso

You kids forget that aero is designed to work in yaw, not just head on. Several vortecies travel along the floor edge and are "braided" by the features near these little fins.
Saishū kōnā

henry

godlameroso wrote:
23 May 2019, 01:52
You kids forget that aero is designed to work in yaw, not just head on. Several vortecies travel along the floor edge and are "braided" by the features near these little fins.
And that only happens in yaw?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

CLKGTR

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 May 2019, 23:23

Also, the vortex doesn't run under the floor as you state, it runs along the top edge of the floor.

With word 'tunnels' I wanted to describe their physichal shape with curvature and expanding volume towards the edge of the floor.

NtsParadize

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Godius

Under wing strakes detail in this picture posted by MV.

ispano6

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 May 2019, 23:23

the slots in the floor allow the vortexs to be split and passed underneath. You can see this from the head on photo.

Just_a_fan

The vortex goes along the top of the floor and inside the rear tyre to help with the diffuser sealing, I think. That's why they add those VGs on the top surface to help create a strong vortex that can travel the length of the floor. The floor edge slots are to allow bleeding of air between the upper and lower surface of the floor. This locally reduces the pressure difference and so "fools" the air alongside the car that there isn't a big low pressure zone to fill.

ispano6

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:21
The vortex goes along the top of the floor and inside the rear tyre to help with the diffuser sealing, I think. That's why they add those VGs on the top surface to help create a strong vortex that can travel the length of the floor. The floor edge slots are to allow bleeding of air between the upper and lower surface of the floor. This locally reduces the pressure difference and so "fools" the air alongside the car that there isn't a big low pressure zone to fill.
The air you term as bleeding of upper and lower surfaces is the energized vortex, so I don't see a problem with the earlier explanation that you criticized as made up. You seem to have contradicted yourself in your last two comments, no?

gandharva

Imho these are vortex generators and vanes. They fulfill 2 purposes.

They act as a vortex generator to strenghten and energize the big vortex (especially the latter winglets) that is routed over the top of the floor, but they also break up this big vortex, and at the same time route air coming from below the sidepod cooling inlets, towards the big longitudinal slot in the floor to help sealing the floor.

Just look at the angle of those vanes. The ones towards the front are way more transverse to also break up airflow and the latter ones are angled more longitudinal to energize the vortex. Actually this is pretty cool!

Whats the maximum height those vanes are allowed to have in this area? I think building the ones at the front taller would increase efficiency even more.

mmred

gandharva wrote:
24 May 2019, 18:22
Imho these are vortex generators and vanes. They fulfill 2 purposes.

They act as a vortex generator to strenghten and energize the big vortex (especially the latter winglets) that is routed over the top of the floor, but they also break up this big vortex, and at the same time route air coming from below the sidepod cooling inlets, towards the big longitudinal slot in the floor to help sealing the floor.

Just look at the angle of those vanes. The ones towards the front are way more transverse to also break up airflow and the latter ones are angled more longitudinal to energize the vortex. Actually this is pretty cool!

Whats the maximum height those vanes are allowed to have in this area? I think building the ones at the front taller would increase efficiency even more.
Can it be basically summarised as
They are gradually attaching the y250 to the floor to avoid it gets wider

The longitudinal slots behind suck it under to seal the diffuser too

Do you agree?

But I guess one would need a proper CFD simulation to know that

gandharva

mmred wrote:
24 May 2019, 19:57
They are gradually attaching the y250 to the floor to avoid it gets wider
I think it's not about wider or smaller. It's all about energy.

Simplified I would sum it up like this:
The first winglets take away energy from the vortex and apply it to seal the floor, while the winglets towards the end of the grid are there to re-energize the vortex so it is still as effective (as it would have been without that grid of winglets) when it hits the rear of the car.

If this works properly it could even be a win-win.

Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
24 May 2019, 14:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
24 May 2019, 10:21
The air you term as bleeding of upper and lower surfaces is the energized vortex, so I don't see a problem with the earlier explanation that you criticized as made up. You seem to have contradicted yourself in your last two comments, no?
No.

zibby43

gandharva wrote:
24 May 2019, 18:22
Whats the maximum height those vanes are allowed to have in this area?
The regulations allow for unlimited use of these fins/vanes, so long as they are not more than 5 cm above the floor.