Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bucker

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

yes...finally some good news

PowerandtheGlory

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e/4394807/

Hopefully they can improve from now on, even though Monaco wont show much.

This might explain their Baku slump and underperformance.

Hopefully they kick on again now
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Jolle

factory_p wrote:
03 May 2019, 11:36
Jejking wrote:
01 May 2019, 13:57

Daniel usually is smooth as butter on the brakes. Maybe it's the engine braking. Obvious example of this snapping is here at the start of Azer GP.

https://youtu.be/izLICVxiBGY?t=16
Sounds related to downshifts if the sound is properly synched on this video.
First time full braking with a full tank, with cars around you and cold(ish) tires and brakes plus bad aero from all the vortexes generated in front of you.

rogazilla

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
24 May 2019, 12:42
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e/4394807/

Hopefully they can improve from now on, even though Monaco wont show much.

This might explain their Baku slump and underperformance.

Hopefully they kick on again now
Sounds like they got the ICE sorted. Did the K get an update too?

GhostF1

Are we actually believing the Renault is at the same level as the Mercedes like Cyril is implying???

Apart from a random interview from Cyril, who is F1's greatest hyperbolist, what on track evidence is there that demonstrates this as even remotely true..

They should concentrate on trying to take back 3rd place from Honda first.

Ground Effect

GhostF1 wrote:
24 May 2019, 16:03
Are we actually believing the Renault is at the same level as the Mercedes like Cyril is implying???

Apart from a random interview from Cyril, who is F1's greatest hyperbolist, what on track evidence is there that demonstrates this as even remotely true..

Well, if we look at Baku, where they claim they ran at reduced power, we can take the McLaren and Racing Point as a case study. Baku to a great extent is a power track, where Racing Point has been very strong from their Force India days. Checo couldn't pull away from the McLaren's like we would expect. So with the detuned engine, McLaren held up quite well. There's still a deficit, but there's been a convergence all the same. Let's not underestimate the superiority of the Red Bull chassis over the years as seen how they stacked up against Renault, they were over 1 second quicker with the same engine.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

GhostF1

Ground Effect wrote:
24 May 2019, 19:13
GhostF1 wrote:

Well, if we look at Baku, where they claim they ran at reduced power, we can take the McLaren and Racing Point as a case study. Baku to a great extent is a power track, where Racing Point has been very strong from their Force India days. Checo couldn't pull away from the McLaren's like we would expect. So with the detuned engine, McLaren held up quite well. There's still a deficit, but there's been a convergence all the same. Let's not underestimate the superiority of the Red Bull chassis over the years as seen how they stacked up against Renault, they were over 1 second quicker with the same engine.
I'm not saying there has not been a step in performance. There is obviously a convergence appearing, but it's far too early to say Renault is the same level as Merc.
Honda say they are very close to Merc but still behind and yet even with Toro Rosso I think it's been demonstrated that engine has made big gains, other teams can't outdrag then anymore and it's been seen they've actually had the power on merit alone without DRS or a tow to stick with the Merc and Fez powered teams.

I believe the gap is the smallest it's been this era, but it's also premature to suggest Renault is equal on all fronts to Merc. They need to demonstrate reliability first as well. It's all well and good making that power but lasting 2 GP's makes it largely irrelevant.

Ground Effect

GhostF1 wrote:
25 May 2019, 01:20
Ground Effect wrote:
24 May 2019, 19:13
GhostF1 wrote:

I'm not saying there has not been a step in performance. There is obviously a convergence appearing, but it's far too early to say Renault is the same level as Merc.
Honda say they are very close to Merc but still behind and yet even with Toro Rosso I think it's been demonstrated that engine has made big gains, other teams can't outdrag then anymore and it's been seen they've actually had the power on merit alone without DRS or a tow to stick with the Merc and Fez powered teams.

I believe the gap is the smallest it's been this era, but it's also premature to suggest Renault is equal on all fronts to Merc. They need to demonstrate reliability first as well. It's all well and good making that power but lasting 2 GP's makes it largely irrelevant.
Agree with you on that..
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

saviour stivala

4 Renault engined cars used 10 ICE’s between them in 5 race weekends. Exactly the number the 4 Honda engined cars did.

63l8qrrfy6

Can someone confirm Hulkenberg took his 4th PU in Spain?

Ground Effect

Mudflap wrote:
27 May 2019, 15:32
Can someone confirm Hulkenberg took his 4th PU in Spain?
Yes he did,

saviour stivala

Hulkenberg Baku 2 ICE – 2TC – 2 H – 2 K.
Spain 3 ICE – 3 TC – 3 H – 2 K.
Monaco 4 ICE – 4 TC – 4 H – 3 K.

Andres125sx

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 09:55
f1rules wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 09:42
for what its worth

Albert Fabrega
@AlbertFabrega
6m6 minutes ago
More
Diferentes mediciones en pit y paddock en cuanto a potencia d motores. Todas coinciden en Ferrari claramente delante d Mercedes, pero no atrás. La q me ha llegado da a Honda más potencia q Renault en carrera y menos en quali. Otra da a Renault por delante en ambos. Muy igualados.

Translated from Spanish by Microsoft
Different measurements in pit and paddock in terms of power D motors. All match in Ferrari clearly ahead D Mercedes, but not back. The Q has reached me gives Honda more power Q Renault in Carrera and less in quali. Another gives Renault ahead in both. Very equal.
I see Fabrega referenced from time to time on this forum, but can't say I know much about him. Does his info usually paint an accurate picture, is he a reliable source?
Albert Fabrega is a former F1 mechanic. Now he´s part of the spanish TV broadcasting, and a VERY reliable source. Actually we spaniard are extremelly lucky about our broadcasting, IMHO it´s one of the best if not the best out there, with the only exception of Antonio Lobato (tv comentator wich is a fanboy who knows nothing and think he´s an expert), but we enjoy Tony Cuquerella (former Ferrari and some other teams engineer) and to me the most reliable source you can find, Roldan Rogriguez who is replacing Pedro de la Rosa and is equally wise and a good communicative, and Fabrega in the pitlane explaining technical bits

Anyone who understand spanish and have access to MovistarF1 should give it a try, it´s top level broadcasting. And don´t get me wrong, I´m spanish, but if I´m a F1T member it´s because I hate fanboyism can can´t cope with spanish forums, I´m not praising the broadcasting because it´s spanish, but because it really deserve it

ringo

Judging by the race in Canada, the Renault powered cars seem to be able to stay ahead of Honda power, and even retake positions. The engine seems to have more performance unlocked.
For Sure!!

djos

ringo wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 01:10
Judging by the race in Canada, the Renault powered cars seem to be able to stay ahead of Honda power, and even retake positions. The engine seems to have more performance unlocked.
That was a very good result for Renault - it looks like they've really made up some ground and are very much equal to, or slightly better than, Honda I'd say.
"In downforce we trust"