Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post by etusch » Sun May 26, 2019 9:26 pm

GerryTT wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:54 pm
NL_Fer wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:52 pm
Hamilton blazing away in the tunnel and straight. Honda was still missing power.
And “mode 7” didn’t change that.
@Morteza shared some article in Redbull thread that says Verstappen raced with wrong mode. Tunnel is not straight and mercedes is good as whole package but in normal track if Redbull were so close Verstappen would pass for sure.

NL_Fer

Post by NL_Fer » Sun May 26, 2019 9:52 pm

Mode 7 sounded great though. They must have opened up the wastegates, for more power.

foneFanatiq

Post by foneFanatiq » Sun May 26, 2019 9:59 pm

NL_Fer wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:52 pm
Mode 7 sounded great though. They must have opened up the wastegates, for more power.
I noticed that too. Sounded so good! =P~

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Mon May 27, 2019 12:43 am

loner wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:24 pm
Honda is lacking power every body know that.. all eyes on their next update...
Probably won't happen until Silverstone to coincide with a Red Bull chassis update, who knows what the fuel boys are cooking up.

Honda has a nice update planned for the turbo, pretty exciting what this could mean if it pans out. Turbo efficiency can improve power and MGU-H harvesting. Not to mention a revamped engine installation probably has a few benefits regarding chassis dynamics.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Wouter

Post by Wouter » Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 am

godlameroso wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:43 am
loner wrote:
Probably won't happen until Silverstone to coincide with a Red Bull chassis update, who knows what the fuel boys are cooking up.

Silverstone means that they must use the engine 7 races.
No way Honda and Red Bull will want that.
Because Canada is a power circuit I asume they will introduce there the next spec.

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon May 27, 2019 10:50 am

Everybody's like to talk about Honda lack of power and Mercedes supposedly "prodigious " power ,Guys while you are at it can you please give me the numbers because if you make a statement without qualification it's meaningless F1 is a numbers game. From my understanding according to Max before updates in Baku Honda was 30hp behind Ferrari which Benchmark then they brought 10 to 15 hp from this you can infer that they are not loosing anything to Mercedes. Last year Ricardo had Mguk failure effectively losing 160hp and the ability to recover energy lost but he still won and Lewis couldn't do anything with that mighty merc power,I think they is a lot of exaggeration going on here

zac510

Post by zac510 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:53 am

I thought he had an SNES in the car :)

This article has just come out:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... o/4397096/

Anybody have any idea what it could possibly be that they can only change when the car is in the pit lane? I haven't heard of the other 3 engine manufacturers having a setting like this.

saviour stivala

Post by saviour stivala » Mon May 27, 2019 11:20 am

From when the car goes into park ferme after qualifying to the rest of the weekend no settings can be changed to the engine. It sounds like they have torque maps that can only be selected sequentially after the pit-lane speed limiter kicks in.

loner

Post by loner » Mon May 27, 2019 11:42 am

Bill wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:50 am
Everybody's like to talk about Honda lack of power and Mercedes supposedly "prodigious " power ,Guys while you are at it can you please give me the numbers because if you make a statement without qualification it's meaningless F1 is a numbers game. From my understanding according to Max before updates in Baku Honda was 30hp behind Ferrari which Benchmark then they brought 10 to 15 hp from this you can infer that they are not loosing anything to Mercedes. Last year Ricardo had Mguk failure effectively losing 160hp and the ability to recover energy lost but he still won and Lewis couldn't do anything with that mighty merc power,I think they is a lot of exaggeration going on here
relax
Speaking in between Friday's practice sessions in China, Honda F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe said: "So far we have started this season with a reasonable performance and reasonable results.

"But 'reasonable' means 'not fantastic yet'. We see clearly there is still a big gap between the frontrunners and us. So, we really need to push to improve our performance to compete with the others here. We understand it's not easy to improve our performance immediately but we keep pushing."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kvya ... a/4368685/
It Tolls for Thee.

Thunder18

Post by Thunder18 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:53 am

saviour stivala wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:20 am
From when the car goes into park ferme after qualifying to the rest of the weekend no settings can be changed to the engine. It sounds like they have torque maps that can only be selected sequentially after the pit-lane speed limiter kicks in.
From the RBR-H thread courtesy of Morteza…

From racefans.com

“Max Verstappen spent all of his second stint driving in his ‘start’ throttle map because he forgot to deactivate it after his pit stop.

The mode is used to optimise the car’s performance from a standing start at the beginning of the race or pit stops. Drivers usually switch back to a race mode when they return to the track.
“In the pit stop we forgot to go back on the torque map so I had my start map in it which was not ideal,” Verstappen explained.

“I had massive lag on the first couple – I can’t say the exact number – but quite a lot of percentage going on throttle. I had nothing, and then suddenly the power kicked in. It was not nice to drive. But I managed to drive around the problem.”

Verstappen forgot to deactivate his after his pit stop as he and the team were distracted by his collision with Valtteri Bottas in the pit lane.

“Normally I would go back on it but of course with the clutch and then looking in the mirror all the time, and the team was also a little bit shocked with the whole thing, they were also checking damaged. Normally they always remind me but anyway it’s always my job to still do it, but I also forgot with all the hectic scenarios.

Drivers cannot deactivate the mode once they are at racing speeds, and Verstappen didn’t return to the pits for the rest of the race.

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon May 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Ioner that's not evidence hard facts about the here and now not something that was said 2 months ago you meet as well bring something from 2015. Honda, Ferrari and Renault has since then updated their pu

saviour stivala

Post by saviour stivala » Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 pm

‘Spend all of his second stint driving in his ‘start’ throttle map because he forgot to deactivate it after his pit stop”. How does he deactivate it after using it from his standing start?.
“He was told to move to ‘torque 12’ as he entered the pit lane, then to change to torque 6 as he exit.”
When he entered the pit lane he also had to activate pit lane speed limiter, and when exiting he would need to deactivate said speed limiter.
Does ‘torque 12’ mean pit lane speed limiter? And was ‘torque 6’ supposed to have been selected AFTER he deactivated his pit lane speed limiter?.

etusch

Post by etusch » Mon May 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Wouter wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 am
godlameroso wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:43 am
loner wrote:

Silverstone means that they must use the engine 7 races.
No way Honda and Red Bull will want that.
Because Canada is a power circuit I asume they will introduce there the next spec.
If it is ready to use of course they will. New pu mean current one to pool for less power sensitive tracks or fp's

zac510

Post by zac510 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Thunder18 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:53 am
Drivers cannot deactivate the mode once they are at racing speeds, and Verstappen didn’t return to the pits for the rest of the race.
This is the bit I don't understand; usually if it's software you can change it whenever, fuel/ignition modes for example. "Drivers cannot deactivate" must mean by FIA regulation they are not allowed to deactivate it?

HPD

Post by HPD » Mon May 27, 2019 1:16 pm

zac510 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:53 am
This article has just come out:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... o/4397096/
A few corners after realising his mistake, Verstappen queried if the team could do something about it, but was told "no, we're stuck with that one now mate" and told to "be aware that's going to be pretty aggressive".

Verstappen pushed for the team to try to find a potential solution, and he was told to go to 'Engine 12, Position 2' to increase the lag and "see if that's any better".

He countered that he already had lag out of the corner, and was then told to move to 'Engine 12, Position 13'.

Verstappen explained: "I had massive lag on the first couple [of laps], I can't say the exact number, but quite a lot of percentage of going on the throttle. So I had nothing, and then the power kicked in. It wasn't nice to drive but I managed to drive around the problem."