2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Phil wrote:
30 May 2019, 13:36
Why would Vettel retire by years end if his contract goes at least till end of 2020? Is there some place better he could be?
Well, Rosberg retired while under contract. Vettel could do the same. It wouldn't come as a huge surprise if Vettel figures home is the best place to be, if he feels that he and Ferrari are making no real progress and there isn't anymore for him to give.

If anything, I think Vettel is even more a family man than Rosberg is. Burn out and a lack of desire for success is real, especially with young kids at home.

Phil

In hindsight, Rosbergs retirement wasnt that unexpected. There were good reasons for it. Those same reasons dont apply to Vettel.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

Phil wrote:
30 May 2019, 15:47
In hindsight, Rosbergs retirement wasnt that unexpected. There were good reasons for it. Those same reasons dont apply to Vettel.
Everything is always much clearer in hindsight.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jolle

I imagine that one of Vettel’s big ambitions is to win a WC in a red car, Rosberg his ambition was to finally beat Hamilton. Stepping away now would feel like he failed, while Rosberg felt like his goals were met.

izzy

Jolle wrote:
30 May 2019, 16:34
I imagine that one of Vettel’s big ambitions is to have win a WC in a red car, Rosberg his ambition was to finally beat Hamilton. Stepping away now would feel like he failed, while Rosberg felt like his goals were met.
perhaps a big part of it will be how loved he feels in the team. if the team begins to love Charles more, Seb might feel that's it. after all the last two years he has failed to maximise their car, in quite a big way. From the team's point of view It must be soul-destroying to produce a car like the Ferraris of 2017 and 18 and see it get crashed out of races and wasted, when the Mercedes driver just doesn't, so you can imagine they're not totally head over heels in love with him at this point

but I don't suppose Seb has decided yet. If he can be more consistent than Charles then he can still turn it round. One win would make it look so different

Big Tea

ME4ME wrote:
30 May 2019, 14:39
Phil wrote:
30 May 2019, 13:36
Why would Vettel retire by years end if his contract goes at least till end of 2020? Is there some place better he could be?
Well, Rosberg retired while under contract. Vettel could do the same. It wouldn't come as a huge surprise if Vettel figures home is the best place to be, if he feels that he and Ferrari are making no real progress and there isn't anymore for him to give.

If anything, I think Vettel is even more a family man than Rosberg is. Burn out and a lack of desire for success is real, especially with young kids at home.
Hmmm, retire from F1, do LM and indy, then back to Red bull?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dtro

Phil wrote:
30 May 2019, 15:47
Fairly certain that Rosberg announcing his retirement took everyone by surprise. Sure tons of people realize the justifications were rational, hell it didn't take that long to think of them for the average person, sure kids, wife, the difficulties of competing against one of the best drivers in F1, if not the best driver in F1 all led him to realize that retirement was the best course of action for him. Buuuttt, after Rosberg won the Championship, nobody with an interest in the sport wanted to see, or foresaw him retiring. If Mercedes was all like "lulz what???" and started frantically searching through their driver rolodex to find somebody to replace him post-haste clearly the news took even them by surprise.

Sevach

Despite the pressure, Vettel is "surviving" Leclerc so far.
Leclerc could get things right from now to the end of the year (and be even better next year) which could make things extra uncomfortable, but does that mean he quits? I don't know.

What i can see happening is a Verstappen-Vettel switcharoo if Mercedes keeps winning everything, both guys will want it imo.

dans79

197 104 103 7

Phil

I take it to understand that Rosberg retired because he not only achieved his life long dream of becoming a WDC, but the lengths to which he had to go to make it happen, psychologically and mentally. All that while just becoming a father.

Many of us outsiders probably have no clue to what went on behind the scenes and how draining it must have been. The fact that the management had to shuffle the engineers of both drivers gives a fair idea.

In any case, Vettel has the teams full support. This IMO is probably more damaging to him, as the media are hitting on him for it, especially the Tifosi. Having that said, Vettel is doing pretty alright so far against Leclerc. He also comes across as his usual self. I really dont see it, sorry.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Raleigh

Lots of sites talking about Simone Resta returning to Ferrari to take over chassis design again.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14360 ... -from-alfa

izzy

Phil wrote:
30 May 2019, 20:43
In any case, Vettel has the teams full support. This IMO is probably more damaging to him, as the media are hitting on him for it, especially the Tifosi. Having that said, Vettel is doing pretty alright so far against Leclerc. He also comes across as his usual self. I really dont see it, sorry.
what makes you sure he has the team's full support tho? If they'd done what he wanted they'd have kept Kimi instead of challenging him with the new star LeClerc, who's looked if anything quicker in most weekends while Seb's carried on with mistakes in China and Bahrain. People counted 80 points lost with mistakes in both 2017 AND 2018.

Ferrari must be going nuts looking at Seb versus Lewis. in Monaco Charles looked on for the front row while Seb was never in it and was dead lucky to be second instead of 5th

dans79

izzy wrote:
30 May 2019, 21:04
in Monaco Charles looked on for the front row while Seb was never in it and was dead lucky to be second instead of 5th
Leading fp3, doesn't mean he was going to be on the front row. his fp3 lap was over a tenth slower than Lewis's fp2 time. His best bet was going to be 4th.
197 104 103 7

izzy

dans79 wrote:
30 May 2019, 21:26
izzy wrote:
30 May 2019, 21:04
in Monaco Charles looked on for the front row while Seb was never in it and was dead lucky to be second instead of 5th
Leading fp3, doesn't mean he was going to be on the front row. his fp3 lap was over a tenth slower than Lewis's fp2 time. His best bet was going to be 4th.
Sessions vary, you can't simply rank the times across one to another. and where was Seb in FP3? in the wall, while Charles was P1. so the point is that Ferrari probably like Seb as a person but aren't necessarily fully backing him as their top driver to go up against Lewis and Max. Charles was set to be their main man in Monaco even being only 21

dans79

izzy wrote:
30 May 2019, 21:43
Sessions vary, you can't simply rank the times across one to another.
Then your point is invalid as well, because his fp3 time isn't relevant during qualifying (different session).
197 104 103 7