2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Carl Mccoy

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

If Ferrari have a low drag car and a very strong engine will fall out on this track poorly there is probably no chance for interesting races this season. Ferrari will probably also mount a new turbo and MGU-H system

dfegan358

you would imagine this track should suit ferrari better than any of the other circuits so far so in theory they should be closer to merc.

ferrari brought new ICE to spain, dont think the true performance or any potential power gains was evident at that track especially with mercedes low speed corner advantage.

ferrari should be bringing power unit upgrades with a new mguk, mguh and turbo. mercedes seem quite confident with their spec 2 power unit. as you say, another merc 1-2 here would be quite demoralising for ferrari for rest of the season

digitalrurouni

I guess I would think Ferrari would be very strong in this track because it's got a few straights but what about sector 1 and a good part of 2 there's a rather lot of low medium to low speed turns no? And then connected with decent straights wouldn't that require a bunch of mechanical grip to accelerate outta those turns? I suspect a Mercedes 1-2 with Bottas on pole and winning the race.

Juzh

It will be interesting to see whether or not ferrari still remains the best on the straights even after some other teams drop off a bit of downforce. As'we seen in baku they were nothing special on the long straight, equal with merc at best.

dfegan358

ferrari were equal with merc in baku because they were able to run more wing to help in the twisty sector 2 but still have enough speed on the straight due to their inherent low drag design and strong PU

Big Tea

I see this one being about who has the tyres nailed. Unless of course Ferrari duff it up again.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

digitalrurouni

dfegan358 wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 20:28
ferrari were equal with merc in baku because they were able to run more wing to help in the twisty sector 2 but still have enough speed on the straight due to their inherent low drag design and strong PU

And seems Merc will have caught up to Ferrari in terms of power output for this race if not closed the gap.

dfegan358

digitalrurouni wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 22:07
dfegan358 wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 20:28

And seems Merc will have caught up to Ferrari in terms of power output for this race if not closed the gap.
nobody truly knows the power output figures if each power unit, most seem to think ferrari were marginally ahead in peak power for quali with spec 1.

ferrari have brought spec 2 ICE at spain which was not going to show it at its best. also ferrari should be bringing updated mgu-k, mguh and turbo to canada so they should have engine gains also. i will admit though, i do sense merc are quite confident about the performance of this spec 2 power unit

Just_a_fan

In terms of Ferrari / Mercedes, Hamilton will want to finish ahead of Bottas. He can afford a couple of seconds or thirds behind the Ferraris over the next few races. He needs to be ahead of Bottas, however. Indeed, he's already started the mind games with Bottas by saying he (Hamilton) has been average so for this season. That's him trying to get Bottas thinking "he's been average and he's still 4/2 wins ahead of me!".

Hamilton will want to win Canada, yes, but whatever the result, he'll be desperate to be ahead of Bottas above all else.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 22:55
In terms of Ferrari / Mercedes, Hamilton will want to finish ahead of Bottas. He can afford a couple of seconds or thirds behind the Ferraris over the next few races. He needs to be ahead of Bottas, however. Indeed, he's already started the mind games with Bottas by saying he (Hamilton) has been average so for this season. That's him trying to get Bottas thinking "he's been average and he's still 4/2 wins ahead of me!".

Hamilton will want to win Canada, yes, but whatever the result, he'll be desperate to be ahead of Bottas above all else.
It may be mind games, but I really do think Hamilton has not been up to his full game this season.
But, having said that, we do not know if it is because of Bottas mind games that he has not.

Bottas has defiantly upped his game.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 23:28
It may be mind games, but I really do think Hamilton has not been up to his full game this season.
But, having said that, we do not know if it is because of Bottas mind games that he has not.

Bottas has defiantly upped his game.
Valtteri can be very quick, but he's not an all-court relentless racer like Lewis. Also Valtteri does better until Lewis gets his front end really sharp.

What do you think about the theory that Lewis' exaggerated theatrics about his tyres in Monaco was aimed at Max, getting him to wait for Lewis to pit or completely run out of tyre, instead of making a lunge? I like that idea, tho we'll probably never actually know.

zibby43

digitalrurouni wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 20:15
I guess I would think Ferrari would be very strong in this track because it's got a few straights but what about sector 1 and a good part of 2 there's a rather lot of low medium to low speed turns no? And then connected with decent straights wouldn't that require a bunch of mechanical grip to accelerate outta those turns? I suspect a Mercedes 1-2 with Bottas on pole and winning the race.
You make some very good points about mechanical grip/traction. Those are key factors in maximizing potential on the straights. Coming out of the turn(s) 6-7 complex (right before the "back" straight) is a good example of this.

Furthermore, I think Canada has quite a bumpy track surface, a characteristic that the Melbourne circuit had as well. I think that has the potential to be an important variable re: suspension setup.

Hammerfist

IMO this is a track that favors Ferrari for sure. Their straight line speed advantage has been evident even throughout the Mercedes dominance. Whatever Merc is going to bring in terms of power upgrades I don't think it's going to help much. The ferrari looks like the way more slippery car and that should help them here. This track is pretty much point and shoot, only sector 1 is going to be bad for Ferrari. It should be close, but I think Ferrari and Leclerc especially are due for a win and put all those bad race weekends behind.

zibby43

Hammerfist wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 07:12
IMO this is a track that favors Ferrari for sure. Their straight line speed advantage has been evident even throughout the Mercedes dominance. Whatever Merc is going to bring in terms of power upgrades I don't think it's going to help much. The ferrari looks like the way more slippery car and that should help them here. This track is pretty much point and shoot, only sector 1 is going to be bad for Ferrari. It should be close, but I think Ferrari and Leclerc especially are due for a win and put all those bad race weekends behind.
Merc will bring a lower-drag specification to pair with their Spec 2 PU. They ended up running with a medium-downforce spec in Baku and performed pretty well in Q3 and excellent in the race.

I also think Ferrari will be competitive in Canada. Should be exciting, as both Hamilton and Bottas love Montreal.

Unc1eM0nty

Bill wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 18:58
https://i.imgur.com/sEVQGcW.png

This provides data from china race the information is there if want it shows Rbr great late breaking
I'm not sure you can take much from this, turn 1 for instance is a very long corner, where is the speed measured, on entry, mid corner or exit ?