Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Thread has turned to hog slop. Flush it mods! I command thee!

:twisted:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wouter

Has anyone heard from Honda Japan (on Japanese sites) or Milton Keynes
whether Honda is going to use spec 3 in Canada?
In Spa or Monza they come with the spec 4, so Canada would be a good moment.
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Wouter wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 13:07
Next month.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

godlameroso wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 14:24
Wouter wrote:
Next month.
Next month? Silverstone? I don't think so. From whom do you have this information @godlameroso?

That would not be wise, because in Hungary they can use spec 2,
so until Spa / Monza they use only 2 or 3 races the spec 3, because then comes spec 4.
Moreover, RBR wants in Austria an engine with a lot of power, so more if the spec 2 has.
The Power of Dreams!

restless

Depends.
What if this new spec in synchronized with chassis-work of RedBull?

godlameroso

Wouter wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 14:41
godlameroso wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 14:24
Wouter wrote:
Next month.
Next month? Silverstone? I don't think so. From whom do you have this information @godlameroso?

That would not be wise, because in Hungary they can use spec 2,
so until Spa / Monza they use only 2 or 3 races the spec 3, because then comes spec 4.
Moreover, RBR wants in Austria an engine with a lot of power, so more if the spec 2 has.
Don't get too hung up on spec #, updates are chosen because they want to close the gap. If they make a step forward with the engine, it'll go on the car. Considering teams bring another chassis evolution around Silverstone, I would guess they want to time the two upgrades together.

So spec 2 will be used in the next 3 or 4 races. They (both Honda and RB)are pushing really hard to get the update for Silverstone. It'll be worth the patience.
Saishū kōnā

seense

Who started using the "spec4" word? I believe Marko told that when they switch to engine number 4 it will be a big upgrade. But maybe thats spec 3 and they will switch to a new spec2 next month?

carisi2k

Remember that it could also be a point spec upgrade to version 2.x before moving to spec 3 at monza.

Slo Poke

henry wrote:
30 May 2019, 12:39
I think there is confusion from the use of the word mode.

The torque map the failed to be correctly was probably the pedal to torque demand map

The mode change at the end of the race was to a higher energy mode using different ERS and ICE mappings. It’s what Mercedes call Strat.

My guess is the start torque map is less progressive, more sudden, than the race map since it’s only expected to be used in a straight line.
Henry: There isn’t much confusion on my part concerning the word ‘mode’. It’s a noun and an umbrella word similar to the mode control we find on cameras. ‘Mode one’ on a formula one race car would likely have sub-settings arranged in an orderly way under the aforementioned header such as ‘engine temperature prestart’ ‘torque demand off’ to prevent the engine RPM being accidentally increased above its prescribed RPM limit of one thousand RPM following initial engine start. This condition may last for as long as it takes to check for leakage of any fluids both visually and any pressure anomalies indicated on a nearby connected laptop. I’m not party to much detail concerning what else may be contained within ‘mode one’ but I’ll bet there’s quite a few more. Moving on, ‘mode two’ may have a duplex telemetry checking system ‘send receive data’ concerning wheels on ground corner weight, tyre temp’, rake setting and suspension rates, fuel load and all manner of other items the race engineer would want to monitor at all times by means of his laptop and the car hasn’t even left the garage yet! Next we have ‘mode three’ and under this designation we find the more obvious track settings, brake temperature front rear, torque demand settings engine temperature out-lap and I’ll bet a whole host more. The car returns from shake-down and is garaged. Goodness knows what they find to do now, perhaps they all have a cup of tea? Setup race ‘mode four’ as likely as not includes torque demand settings yet again, brake temps, water and oils temps and numerous other items, which again I’m not party to but I’ll bet ignition timings and hybrid input rears it’s ugly head are all in there.
To keep this comment as short as possible these modes as they move upwards towards the higher engine modes the thing we have to remember is that without these automated modes these cars with their explosive power to weight ratio would be damn near impossible to drive, let alone race! Automated engine modes preset into Vet’s cars won him at least three of his four World Championships. No-one was ever likely to topple Red Bull until someone happened along and figured Newey out. I’ll let you in on a little secret here, (it wasn’t anyone at Brackley that done it either!).
‘Mode five’ here we have a true race mode with duplex telemetry tweaking turned off. The programming of this mode and all higher modes will be a little different than all precedent modes as these modes will be car, or more accurately, brake pedal selected and hydraulically moved through at predetermined rates that have been tuned and tweaked at during the car setup phase and locked in to suit any particular track on the racing calendar.
I’m really only scratching at the surface here as I’ve maintained throughout, I’m not a party to any of it but surely you can grasp what I’m getting at Henry?

Bill

The infamous piece of jewelry you got to admit the attention to details looks incredible

PlatinumZealot

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

OO7
OO7

Very Mercedes like. :wink:

BrunoH

i still think the honda engine is the best in terms of compact, low cog, looks amazing. just needs that extra hp...

Wazari

BrunoH wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 20:50
i still think the honda engine is the best in terms of compact, low cog, looks amazing. just needs that extra hp...
It's coming.....need to be patient until about Sochi.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro