General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sn809

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Marti_EF3 wrote:
29 May 2019, 18:05
So Marko is talking about a PU upgrade for Monza, and it will be a big one. Probably with new fuel and lubricants. The only way to close the gap a bit more is to gain more than the 20hp Merc is going to win on Canada... [-o<
The bigger question is what if Merc turn up with a bigger monster??
For all the Nay-sayers even with penalties as long as the engine is powerful enough and right strategy-Mclaren have been doing this extremely well, taking a 3-4 place is not out of question for regular tracks. So take a 3-4 or even 5th at one place the comeback strong for the next race and potentially stronger for next year.

ispano6

_cerber1 wrote:
30 May 2019, 06:55
ispano6 wrote:
29 May 2019, 14:28
With no MGU-K failures and no DNFs too. No burning bodywork or gear ratio issues either. All thanks to Red Bull for convincing Honda to stay and let them do things the Honda way. I must say that bringing on Tanabe and Asaki has worked wonders.
RB had a whole year to go to Honda engines, McLaren had several months in emergency mode, the comparison is not correct. What prevented to attract Honda, Tanabe and Asaki earlier, why it was necessary to bring the matter to the distance?
McLaren had all year with Renault engines. Did you forget this is not their first year together.
Comparison is for this year so completely valid. Don't forget Renault had a headstart on Honda in the turbo hybrid formula. Burning bodywork was this year, first race. Double DNF in second race.

Domination in Indy. Reliability in road car engines. That's where they proved themselves and Honda reacted to the bashing it received by pulling together its best from around the globe. Even Honda Aircraft are now involved. And when Honda F1 does well, it's good for all of Honda.

lio007

Honda's achievements and the teamwork with the Red Bull family really getting recognized now:
https://f1i.com/news/342901-brawn-sees- ... gains.html

This kind of words must be music to the really hard-working-peoples' ears at Honda. They deserve it. I think andybody of us can imagine what pain they had to accept and the amount of work they've put into this project, far from a 9 to 5 job I think.

etusch

Marti_EF3

It have the same valve cover design than my 89' Civic. That's one of the reasons why I love it =P~

Sorry for the offtopic [-o<

Wouter

I have asked this elsewhere too, but also here again.

Has anyone heard from Honda Japan (on Japanese sites) or Milton Keynes
whether Honda is going to use spec 3 in Canada?
In Spa or Monza they come with the spec 4, so Canada would be a good moment.
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

Must admit, hand’t seen this picture earlier but this seems like a big fat hint an upgraded turbo (and likely then complete ICE) is coming (this weekend).

ispano6

Wouter wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 13:12

That seems too early as Tanabe wants the Spec 2 to be used up to 7 races. No penalties will be taken with the 3rd full PU swap so it's preferential to Honda that the 3rd full PU swap be for a Spec 3. Conservatively, Honda will want to use Spec 2 for as long as required while turning up the wick during certain sessions and race conditions. But if Honda were to wait out the reliability of the engine without risking failure during a race, then it would be sensible to make that power unit change at Silverstone. The race before the summer break is Germany and by then by Tanabe's wishes the Spec 3 will have been introduced.

My hunch is Spec 3 is close or if not ready for the unlikely event that a team has to take a PU out of cycle. Honda might even bring it to Canada just in case, or more likely further developments that can apply to both Spec 2 and 3 such as fuel and lubricants.
In Azerbaijan, the Red Bulls from Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly installed a new engine. Toyoharu Tanabe of Honda expects the engine to last seven races, provided that nothing strange happens to it.

To prevent grid penalties, it is essential that the engines can last as long as possible. Tanabe thinks that the new engine, which is now three races old, can last a total of about seven races. "Yes, I think so. And I hope so too, " the CEO tells Motorsport.com.

“But that of course also always depends on the way you use such a motor. If you do not put a lot of strain on it, the power source can make many kilometers. But if you push harder, the mileage will decrease. We are looking for the right balance. ” According to the Japanese, they aim for a service life of 5,000 to 6,000 kilometers from the Honda engine.

Tanabe thinks that the current engine needs to be replaced before the summer break, but hopes that it will then be an upgrade to Spec 3. “But that also depends on when you have to change engines. If you are confronted with a crash or engine problem, then you must grab a new engine at that time. We try to be prepared for that, as was the case with Spec 2, because we introduce it a little earlier. "

However, that may not always be the case. “We experienced a crash at Toro Rosso in China , but we didn't have a Spec 2 yet. Then we were forced to switch to an extra Spec 1. "

ispano6

Sieper wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 19:34
Must admit, hand’t seen this picture earlier but this seems like a big fat hint an upgraded turbo (and likely then complete ICE) is coming (this weekend).
This one too:

Red Bull can take a 3rd PU without penalty, but STR would be onto their 4th. Canada still seems too soon, but you never know.

Wouter

ispano6 wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 19:57
Wouter wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 13:12

Toyoharu Tanabe of Honda expects the engine to last seven races. Tanabe thinks that the new engine, which is now three races old, can last a total of about seven races. "Yes, I think so. And I hope so too, " the CEO tells Motorsport.com.

Tanabe thinks that the current engine needs to be replaced before the summer break, but hopes that it will then be an upgrade to Spec 3. “But that also depends on when you have to change engines. If you are confronted with a crash or engine problem, then you must grab a new engine at that time. We try to be prepared for that, as was the case with Spec 2, because we introduce it a little earlier. "
Tanabe says that the PU 7 races must be used, but he does not say that that must be sequentially races.
If specification 3 is used in Canada or France, specification 2 can then be used during a following race or two.
In Spa or Monza is the introduction of the spec 4 . Then the spec 2 and 3 can also be used after Monza.

This seems to me the most logical, but of course I am not Tanabe, who knows what is the best.
We must just have to wait and see what they will do.
The Power of Dreams!

ME4ME

My guess would be that they'll do the Canadian and French Grand Prix with the spec 2 engine, and then introduce spec 3 to RBR for the Austrian GP at the Red Bull Ring. They can then reuse the spec 2 engine at the Hungaroring so it will have completed six GP's.

It wouldn't surprise me if they use Toro Rosso to introduce spec 3 already at the French GP, in similar fashion to what they did at the Russian GP last year, in preperation for Suzuka. Also it would make sense for Toro Rosso to take their penalties in France, rather than at the Red Bull Ring.

Wouter

ME4ME wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 22:17
My guess would be that they'll do the Canadian and French Grand Prix with the spec 2 engine, and then introduce spec 3 to RBR for the Austrian GP at the Red Bull Ring. They can then reuse the spec 2 engine at the Hungaroring so it will have completed six GP's.

It wouldn't surprise me if they use Toro Rosso to introduce spec 3 already at the French GP, in similar fashion to what they did at the Russian GP last year, in preperation for Suzuka. Also it would make sense for Toro Rosso to take their penalties in France, rather than at the Red Bull Ring.
That also seems like a good plan, for both teams by the way.
The Power of Dreams!

Hino

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Espresso

New Honda engine in Canada for both RBR en STR....
Lets see how far development meets expectations.
Interviews in full swing this afternoon 📝 We're also doing some PU prep in the garages but we can't show you that 🚫 You'll just have to trust us...

#PoweredByHonda
https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 2435701760

Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide