VWs Pikes Peaks EV

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

Re: VWs Pikes Peaks EV

For Pikes Peak they said the car at the start had more DF than needed to keep good DF when up in the mountain. I wonder what mods they did for the ring

roon

DRS mechanism in the right-hand side wing support:

MtthsMlw

roon

For comparison the 918 Evo did a 5:20, and a GT2 RS GT-type racer has done a 6:40.

Cold Fussion

bill shoe

Did the Nürburgring lap require fewer battery cells in the car compared to Pikes Peak? I'm guessing the total energy requirement is lower at Nürburgring due to net-zero altitude gain, which is a contrast to the brutal Pikes Peak requirement that you haul the weight of the car up the mountain before you can begin to think about going fast. Even if the total energy requirement was lower at Nürburgring, VW may have used the same battery pack in the car to support max power delivery or simply due to the pain-in-butt factor with redoing a major system like the battery pack.

Also, would be interesting to know the total energy used for these kinds of record-setting runs for all the types of cars that attempt them (petrol-only, hybrid, and elec-only). Is elec-only similar to petrol-only or are they way different?

Anyway, they took the record away from NIO. Good stuff.

djos

Great lap. I think the vmax really hurt the Lap time as I don't think it was ever able to get above 270 kph.
Last edited by djos on 04 Jun 2019, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

Andres125sx

bill shoe wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 23:24

Also, would be interesting to know the total energy used for these kinds of record-setting runs for all the types of cars that attempt them (petrol-only, hybrid, and elec-only). Is elec-only similar to petrol-only or are they way different?
Considering engines efficency is below 40% (being optimistic) while EVs motors efficiency are above 80% (being conservative), you can bet they´re way way different and electric only need just a small fraction of the energy

hollus

djos wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 00:51
Great lap. I think the vmax really hurt the Lap time as I don't think it was ever able to get above 270 kph.
It blinked 273 for a split second.
Interesting how at the beginning of the lap, the top speed was better in the middle of a long straight than at the end of the same straight. Something getting hot?
And then, by the end of the lap, the top speed was down to about 250km/h. Is that a less charged battery delivering a bit less power, or maybe more thermal stress, now accumulated over 5 whole minutes?
Rivals, not enemies.

Cold Fussion

When it was hitting 270 at schwedenkreuz, that area is quite downhill, The run from bergwerk is uphill and the final straight is a little uphill as well.

djos

Cold Fussion wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 09:18
When it was hitting 270 at schwedenkreuz, that area is quite downhill, The run from bergwerk is uphill and the final straight is a little uphill as well.
That was my observation also.
"In downforce we trust"

henry

Climbing Pike’s Peak costs about 16MJ. That’s just the elevation change.

16MJ is about 30 seconds of flat out running, such as running at vmax which was done a lot at the Nürburgring.

I think the Nürburgring was the more onerous duty for the ES.

If they ran the whole lap at max power they would need 182MJ. A similar size to the FE. Such a pack might weigh about 300-350kg and would fit with the overall weight of 1100kg including driver. It might be smaller if we take into account regen.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

henry

The vmax number seems low. A v8 F1 car with maybe 550kW would easily top 300kph. Smaller frontal area but horrendous drag from the wheels. So maybe they weren’t running max power.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Cold Fussion

From the exit of the corner just before the final straight to bridge takes the ID.R ~30 seconds (vmax=248, vbridge=242) while for the 919 EVO it takes ~21 seconds (max=369, vbridge=352). The 919 has basically a 100 km/h speed advantage along the entire straight, which is apparently 2860m long or ~14% of the track. There's 45 seconds between the two in overall laptime, so over ~14% of the track they lose ~22% of the their time difference to the 919, so the difference is proportionally larger than in the corners, but you would have to imagine they'd have to sacrifice a proportionally more corner speed in order to match the 919's vmax.

djos

Does the VW even have a gear box? That would likely be the limiting factor in vmax I suspect.
"In downforce we trust"