Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Looks like Ferrari will run a rear wing comparison in FP1. Leclercs car fitted with the spoon shaped main plane (upper pic). Flaps are different too as you can see by looking at the "90 years" sticker.

#AMuS #F1 #CanadianGP
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

MtthsMlw

Rather similiar from this angle.
both via Albert Fabrega

just wanted to share the beautiful SF70h again..

MtthsMlw

AMuS

roon

Is it simply that Ferrari have more center downforce (bargeboards, floor front, mid wings) that allows them to run a smaller front wing than Red Bull or Mercedes?

falonso81

Regarding the last photo that shows the rear end. There seems to be only one wastegate exhaust pipe. I seem to remember 2 pipes stacked on top of each other. Did I miss something?

zibby43

falonso81 wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 07:43
Regarding the last photo that shows the rear end. There seems to be only one wastegate exhaust pipe. I seem to remember 2 pipes stacked on top of each other. Did I miss something?
It's been like that since the second week of preseason testing in Barcelona.

zibby43

AMuS

SiLo

roon wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 03:02
Is it simply that Ferrari have more center downforce (bargeboards, floor front, mid wings) that allows them to run a smaller front wing than Red Bull or Mercedes?
No, it's just their philosophy for front wing design and car design. They generate outwash by letting air spill off the outside of the wing between the endplate and planes of the wing.

The inside of the wing will still be generating a lot of downforce.
Felipe Baby!

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

roon

SiLo wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 12:40
roon wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 03:02
No, it's just their philosophy for front wing design and car design. They generate outwash by letting air spill off the outside of the wing between the endplate and planes of the wing.

The inside of the wing will still be generating a lot of downforce.
Regardless of spillage, how do they and other teams get away with less front wing downforce? Assuming this can be deduced visually--which we commonly do with the rear wing (short Monza wings vs tall Monaco wings). With these tapered/anhedral front wings we similarly see less frontal area and a shallower angle of attack at the outer half. Seemingly less air is being directed upward.

MtthsMlw

I like how that ERS cooler is just floating there

Ashwinv16

Just a thing to note, Vettel Matched Hamilton on that pole lap, showing that the Ferrari can go quick in the medium and Speed Corners, thus no clearly indicating that the front wing is the problem. So Hope the update in french gp with the front wing will bring them close to Mercedes. I mean it worked for Mclaren with their philosophy change i don't see why Ferrari can't do it too.
Halo not as bad as we thought

siskue2005

Ashwinv16 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 04:16
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15IjYkP ... p=drivesdk

Just a thing to note, Vettel Matched Hamilton on that pole lap, showing that the Ferrari can go quick in the medium and Speed Corners, thus no clearly indicating that the front wing is the problem. So Hope the update in french gp with the front wing will bring them close to Mercedes. I mean it worked for Mclaren with their philosophy change i don't see why Ferrari can't do it too.
Sorry, but that is not where he gained the time
see the picture below the red color is where he gained time and it is 99% on the straights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RBuENb ... r_embedded

MichaelFerrari

Yes, but obviously his point simply implies that Vet didn't really lose anything in the corners... Hence the use of "match"

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk