2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

some fp2 laps

P08 ricciardo canada fp2 1.13.016
https://streamable.com/odp5f

P12 gasly canada fp2 1.13.345
https://streamable.com/2hr4q

P04 sainz canada fp2 1.12.553
https://streamable.com/1t8vs

P02 vettel canada fp2 1.12.251
https://streamable.com/xj1c2

search

Ringleheim wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 08:05
Also: when the Ferrari is doing well and not a handful to drive, LeClerc seems to get the better of Vettel.
the way I understood it so far, Leclerc is just better when it comes to slow corners, stop & go, getting the perfect exit and so on, while he has disadvantages on more flowing kind of tracks. So I'd say it's more of a coincidence that it fits together with the tracks Ferrari is relatively strong on

search

atanatizante wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 21:43
Bottas did a 1.16.2 on his 18th lap race simulation and Leclerc did a 1.16.5 on his 2nd lap on soft tyres!
Apart from that, on the hard tyres, he was between 7 tenths and 1,2 sec/lap faster over Leclerc on medium.
Bottas already had burned fuel on the stint before though, so he started his run on hard tires with a ~half a second fuel advantage. If you take that into account, Bottas 17 lap average on hards is 2 tenths quicker than Leclerc's 16 lap average on mediums (if you take out the cool down laps, it's something around ~3 tenths)

atanatizante

search wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 09:26
atanatizante wrote:
Bottas did a 1.16.2 on his 18th lap race simulation and Leclerc did a 1.16.5 on his 2nd lap on soft tyres!
Apart from that, on the hard tyres, he was between 7 tenths and 1,2 sec/lap faster over Leclerc on medium.
Bottas already had burned fuel on the stint before though, so he started his run on hard tires with a ~half a second fuel advantage. If you take that into account, Bottas 17 lap average on hards is 2 tenths quicker than Leclerc's 16 lap average on mediums (if you take out the cool down laps, it's something around ~3 tenths)
... and we must take into account that 4 to 5 tenths between the hard and medium tyres :wink:
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

search

atanatizante wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 09:29
search wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
... and we must take into account that 4 to 5 tenths between the hard and medium tyres :wink:
maybe on the first lap, but in terms of durability the hard actually looked better yesterday for most teams.

And Mercedes was using the new engine already while Ferrari was using the old one. I think it will be close. In the race Mercedes may still have the upper hand indeed, but especially today, I'm not sure at all

mkay

search wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 09:50
atanatizante wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 09:29
search wrote:

maybe on the first lap, but in terms of durability the hard actually looked better yesterday for most teams.

And Mercedes was using the new engine already while Ferrari was using the old one. I think it will be close. In the race Mercedes may still have the upper hand indeed, but especially today, I'm not sure at all
Ferrari used PU1 in practice? Thought I saw a FIA notice saying they’d change a bunch of PU components as of Friday... they already have ICE2 in the car.

search

yes, they used the old ICE (according to AmuS at least, and usually they are reliable).

And as they plan to re-use it in a race again later in the season, the mapping will surely have been not an aggressive one.

izzy

So AMuS think Ferrari could get the front row but then go through their rears faster. Could be fun! And McLaren... what a turnaround that would be. I'll have to have a little snigger if Sainz beats Gasly :D

LM10

Guenther, last time you were in this press conference you talked about the need to unlock the potential of Pirelli’s tyres. What solutions have you found in the last couple of races?
We haven’t found any! I think sometimes when you get the tyre to work it is working and sometimes it isn’t. I think in Monte Carlo, with the family of the softer tyres, we got them to work, but we don’t have a solution. If you ask me ‘what is your solution for the next race?’ I don’t know. Maybe we haven’t got one. It’s like we fall into it or not. We are working hard and for sure by going on and using the tyres you learn more and more but do we have a proper understanding of it, I would say, no.
This just sums up the horrible work Pirelli has done. Thousands of kilometers have been done already, months of learning time passed, but there still is just a big fat question mark when it comes to tyres. There is no bigger limiting factor. Cars just don't show their true potential because of that.
Just a single team which understands the tyres. Is this the F1 championship we want to see? Let's call it Pirelli championship, really.

izzy

LM10 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 13:22
Guenther, last time you were in this press conference you talked about the need to unlock the potential of Pirelli’s tyres. What solutions have you found in the last couple of races?
We haven’t found any! I think sometimes when you get the tyre to work it is working and sometimes it isn’t. I think in Monte Carlo, with the family of the softer tyres, we got them to work, but we don’t have a solution. If you ask me ‘what is your solution for the next race?’ I don’t know. Maybe we haven’t got one. It’s like we fall into it or not. We are working hard and for sure by going on and using the tyres you learn more and more but do we have a proper understanding of it, I would say, no.
This just sums up the horrible work Pirelli has done. Thousands of kilometers have been done already, months of learning time passed, but there still is just a big fat question mark when it comes to tyres. There is no bigger limiting factor. Cars just don't show their true potential because of that.
Just a single team which understands the tyres. Is this the F1 championship we want to see? Let's call it Pirelli championship, really.
You don't think it's exposing Haas' lack of its own engineering? Other teams are getting to grips with the tyres better. With only 200 staff something has to go, after all, and i mean if you look down the list of times from FP2 then to some extent it reflects the engineering capability of each team doesn't it, with just the Hondas out of position

_cerber1

djones

I can't help but think that sort of graph does nothing other than get Ferrari fans hopes up falsely.

SmallSoldier

LM10 wrote:Guenther, last time you were in this press conference you talked about the need to unlock the potential of Pirelli’s tyres. What solutions have you found in the last couple of races?
This is a Technical Formula, with the tires been just one more component for the teams to maximize if they want success... The fact that some may have done a better job in dealing with the tires than others isn’t Pirelli’s fault... They are all using the same tires, same compounds and have had access to the same data from testing... It’s up to the teams to figure it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Polite

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 15:53
LM10 wrote:Guenther, last time you were in this press conference you talked about the need to unlock the potential of Pirelli’s tyres. What solutions have you found in the last couple of races?
This is a Technical Formula, with the tires been just one more component for the teams to maximize if they want success... The fact that some may have done a better job in dealing with the tires than others isn’t Pirelli’s fault... They are all using the same tires, same compounds and have had access to the same data from testing... It’s up to the teams to figure it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is true but when it comes to 9 teams have bad tyres menagement, and only 1 is smart.. its no more sport.
Marko said it. Only one team last year had an issue with tyres and Pirelli helped them. So last year we had 1 team in bad shape and we got the 4mm less compund. This year 9 of 10 teams have issues but ``tyres are the same for all``.
dont u think Pirelli has to answer both years in the same way?
also AMUS talks about
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -mercedes/

Bill_Kar

djones wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 15:28
I can't help but think that sort of graph does nothing other than get Ferrari fans hopes up falsely.
Personally, I will be very much surprised if Ferrari can get within 2-3 tenths of pole and/or manage to actually give a headache to Mercedes tomorrow.