2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics
69
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

bauc wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:28 pm
What happened to SAI in Q3?
I'm gonna guess that he missed a chicane. He told the team "I'm sorry guys" so it was some kind of a mistake on his part.

Another positive is that Renault engine is starting to look quite decent. Maybe their claims of big gains were not unfounded.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
proteus
67
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

This is becoming an annoying trend now. Overhyping during practices, than smack talking after qualifying. Ofcourse there is allways crying about Alonso not being in the car, because he would surely won atleast 4 races in this season....

Hopefully the result will be good tomorrow and the same people who are nagging will change their minds jet again.

All and all the majority of those who are critical about todays result seem to forget that both cars in Q3 were just the wet dreams for many past seasons.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mclaren113
mclaren113
-15
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:25 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Our race pace is way faster than the Renault..so finger crossed for tomorrow

max_speed
max_speed
15
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:33 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

proteus wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:29 pm
This is becoming an annoying trend now. Overhyping during practices, than smack talking after qualifying. Ofcourse there is allways crying about Alonso not being in the car, because he would surely won atleast 4 races in this season....

Hopefully the result will be good tomorrow and the same people who are nagging will change their minds jet again.

All and all the majority of those who are critical about todays result seem to forget that both cars in Q3 were just the wet dreams for many past seasons.
mclaren hardcore fans will never settle for mediocre performance. we are not expecting to put the car in top 5 but going by the standard we should have been closer to renault and should have taken 6th spot. Drivers should put the car where it belongs, that is what top drivers do.

User avatar
Jackles-UK
41
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:02 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

FittingMechanics wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:27 pm
Still, let's look at the positives. Both cars in Q3. Tomorrow, Norris will start 8th, and Sainz if he gets 3 place penalty will start 11th.

Ricciardo's lap was about 1:11.0, I think that Sainz and Norris did at best 1:11.5. Probably could have got a few tenths more, but probably not enough to get Ricciardo.
Agreed. I was hoping both drivers would be able to shave a tenth or two off their Q2 times to bring it down to around 1:11.3 but that still wouldn’t have been enough to jump ahead of Ricciardo (who pulled a genuius of a lap out by the way, big respect to him), Bottas or Gasly. Hulkenberg might have been within reach but that would only have been one more place.

User avatar
proteus
67
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

max_speed wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:33 pm
proteus wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:29 pm
This is becoming an annoying trend now. Overhyping during practices, than smack talking after qualifying. Ofcourse there is allways crying about Alonso not being in the car, because he would surely won atleast 4 races in this season....

Hopefully the result will be good tomorrow and the same people who are nagging will change their minds jet again.

All and all the majority of those who are critical about todays result seem to forget that both cars in Q3 were just the wet dreams for many past seasons.
mclaren hardcore fans will never settle for mediocre performance. we are not expecting to put the car in top 5 but going by the standard we should have been closer to renault and should have taken 6th spot. Drivers should put the car where it belongs, that is what top drivers do.
Send them a letter with your demands. Im sure they will get their act together because of it.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

fouad1979
fouad1979
7
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:48 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

mclaren113 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:29 pm
Our race pace is way faster than the Renault..so finger crossed for tomorrow
Race pace in FP2 these nt indicate the right times and in canada the 1 two corners are realy dangerous at the start usualy there ar always crashes there

Bisonas
Bisonas
38
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:56 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

I really like SAI. I really do. He has the speed for sure, but sometimes i feel he lucks consternation. You know, the ability to calm your self, clear your head, lower your heart beat, and don't let your emotion or the adrenaline make you loose your focus and overstep your limit, or the limit of the car. He has to master that. Alonso did master it at some point of his career and he became a better driver. A driver that could drive near his limits, and the limit of the car but rarely overstep it . Thats why ppl would like to see Alonso driving this year Mclaren.
But i really like our drivers. Have no problem with them. Both of them will be getting rapidly, better and better !!

Emag
Emag
99
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

There is nothing you can do about it now. What happened in the past cannot be changed anymore. Time to focus for the race tomorrow. Nobody gets points from qualifying, it's all down to the strategy tomorrow. Hopefully the team continues its trend of greatly executed races.

mclaren113
mclaren113
-15
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:25 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

fouad1979 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:48 pm
mclaren113 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:29 pm
Our race pace is way faster than the Renault..so finger crossed for tomorrow
Race pace in FP2 these nt indicate the right times and in canada the 1 two corners are realy dangerous at the start usualy there ar always crashes there
Well I think with clean start and good strategies we'll pass the 2 Renaults

Nivedanm
Nivedanm
13
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:19 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

I wonder if they setup the car conservatively more towards race than for qualifying, after seeing the tyre issues throughout the grid with higher than expected track temperatures and after having opted for more softs. I doubt if Renault went the other way round. There is no way the chassis’ efficiency advantage on a power sensitive track evaporated all of a sudden in a day. I hope they do better than Renault in the race.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect
164
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Can somebody please remind me where McLaren qualified a year ago in Canada? It appears some fans are mistaking hardcore with deluded. Hardcore is supporting your team, your drivers irrespective of the situation. Not praising them when they do well, and knocking them when the disappoint. Maybe Mercedes should replace Bottas with Ocon in the next race for qualifying 5th. If Sainz had qualified 4th people on here would be saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread. McLaren are trying to get back to the top, meaning that we’re not at the top, but people want us to sign Max and Lewis. I’m hoping for points tomorrow, for Carlos to be fired up, I’d rather be supportive than moan.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems
mwillems
87
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

proteus wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:37 pm
max_speed wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:33 pm
proteus wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:29 pm
This is becoming an annoying trend now. Overhyping during practices, than smack talking after qualifying. Ofcourse there is allways crying about Alonso not being in the car, because he would surely won atleast 4 races in this season....

Hopefully the result will be good tomorrow and the same people who are nagging will change their minds jet again.

All and all the majority of those who are critical about todays result seem to forget that both cars in Q3 were just the wet dreams for many past seasons.
mclaren hardcore fans will never settle for mediocre performance. we are not expecting to put the car in top 5 but going by the standard we should have been closer to renault and should have taken 6th spot. Drivers should put the car where it belongs, that is what top drivers do.
Send them a letter with your demands. Im sure they will get their act together because of it.
Even worse, a Howler like in Harry Potter.

Pretty decent day today, not as great is we'd like, but certainly not bad. In race pace we will naturally be faster and I think we can push for a P6 on merit and given some luck, maybe a bit more. Hopefully we will stay out of trouble tomorrow and make the right strategy calls.

However, I will repeat myself once more, Carlos is not a team leader, he is not a bad driver at all, but he is not a strong driver and will need to be replaced either next season or the season after. Too many times he makes a small misjudgement with a larger cost. However, he is great value for money and good enough to give us some good results whilst we take the massive savings on salary and develop the car.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren113
mclaren113
-15
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:25 am

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Sainz has been handed 3 places grid penalty

mwillems
mwillems
87
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Ground Effect wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:22 pm
Can somebody please remind me where McLaren qualified a year ago in Canada? It appears some fans are mistaking hardcore with deluded. Hardcore is supporting your team, your drivers irrespective of the situation. Not praising them when they do well, and knocking them when the disappoint. Maybe Mercedes should replace Bottas with Ocon in the next race for qualifying 5th. If Sainz had qualified 4th people on here would be saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread. McLaren are trying to get back to the top, meaning that we’re not at the top, but people want us to sign Max and Lewis. I’m hoping for points tomorrow, for Carlos to be fired up, I’d rather be supportive than moan.
I like both. I want him to do well, I want him to come through and get our first podium in years, I will jump and and down with delight for him if he does. But if he keeps making silly mistakes then I will likely feel the opposite! He's a nice guy and the car is looking good, but this is a cutthroat sport and he needs to up his game a lot because frankly he is letting the car and team down a little bit at the moment.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.