2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
fouad1979

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:20
Ground Effect wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:22
Can somebody please remind me where McLaren qualified a year ago in Canada? It appears some fans are mistaking hardcore with deluded. Hardcore is supporting your team, your drivers irrespective of the situation. Not praising them when they do well, and knocking them when the disappoint. Maybe Mercedes should replace Bottas with Ocon in the next race for qualifying 5th. If Sainz had qualified 4th people on here would be saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread. McLaren are trying to get back to the top, meaning that we’re not at the top, but people want us to sign Max and Lewis. I’m hoping for points tomorrow, for Carlos to be fired up, I’d rather be supportive than moan.
I like both. I want him to do well, I want him to come through and get our first podium in years, I will jump and and down with delight for him if he does. But if he keeps making silly mistakes then I will likely feel the opposite! He's a nice guy and the car is looking good, but this is a cutthroat sport and he needs to up his game a lot because frankly he is letting the car and team down a little bit at the moment.
Yes He's just inconsistent ricciardo is 4 in the grid and i dont think the renault is faster but a top driver deliver when it count now his 12 with the penalty just hope with the strategy he'll take a point or 2

nevill3

What is the likely penalty for Leclerc for failing to go around the bollard, he has been summoned to the stewards and they have said during qualifying and the race they will be more strict regarding any infringements?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

mwillems

nevill3 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:33
What is the likely penalty for Leclerc for failing to go around the bollard, he has been summoned to the stewards and they have said during qualifying and the race they will be more strict regarding any infringements?
Not one that will affect Mclaren in any way, I don't think.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

nevill3

OOps wrong thread that was meant for the race thread......I think Sainz will be thankful to be behind Max and Kyvat at the start, turns 1 and two witht those two charging through could have become very messy. Lando is still starting conservatively so I am hopeful for a clean start and a strong race for them both.

Mansell89

Forgive my amateur question- with Sainz dropping to P11 due to a penalty, does he get to choose his race tyre or is he bound by his Q2 choice because he “made it” into Q3?

nevill3

He has to use the used tyres from Q2, and whoever was due to start p11 and is now in the top ten gets to choose which tyres they would like to start on

zoroastar

mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:15
proteus wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:37
max_speed wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:33

mclaren hardcore fans will never settle for mediocre performance. we are not expecting to put the car in top 5 but going by the standard we should have been closer to renault and should have taken 6th spot. Drivers should put the car where it belongs, that is what top drivers do.
Send them a letter with your demands. Im sure they will get their act together because of it.
Even worse, a Howler like in Harry Potter.

Pretty decent day today, not as great is we'd like, but certainly not bad. In race pace we will naturally be faster and I think we can push for a P6 on merit and given some luck, maybe a bit more. Hopefully we will stay out of trouble tomorrow and make the right strategy calls.

However, I will repeat myself once more, Carlos is not a team leader, he is not a bad driver at all, but he is not a strong driver and will need to be replaced either next season or the season after. Too many times he makes a small misjudgement with a larger cost. However, he is great value for money and good enough to give us some good results whilst we take the massive savings on salary and develop the car.
really? so what do you suppose they do with the guy that he beats almost every week that he has a clean race? i remember sainz being right there with verstappen in their rookie season. i dont think anyone has enough evidence to say that carlos cant compete with most drivers in the same car. maybe he cant, and maybe he can, but one qualy session doesnt tell us one way or the other.

zoroastar

im wondering if both cars lackluster q3 performance may have been down to not having anymore tires. they brought very few mediums for some reason and the softs that they replaced them with turn to jelly in temps like they were experiencing today. does anyone know if they had new softs available for q3?

FittingMechanics

I think they get a new set when they pass into Q3. So answer is almost certainly yes. In previous races they would do a first run on a used tire (to get a lap in). This time on used, Norris aborted as he was compromised by Bottas spinning while Sainz did a slow lap 3 seconds off the pace (probably a mistake or similar).

In previous races, they'd get a good lap on new set they got for Q3, but this time Norris didn't do a stellar job while Sainz aborted.

nevill3

Everybody who gets to Q3 receives an extra set of the softest tyre to be used during Q3. If a team has no other new sets left they will either do only one run on the extra set or use a used set for the first run and the new set for a final glory run.

diffuser

I don't get the penalty...its not like he didn't make in it into Q2.

mwillems

zoroastar wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:50
mwillems wrote:
proteus wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 21:37

Send them a letter with your demands. Im sure they will get their act together because of it.

Pretty decent day today, not as great is we'd like, but certainly not bad. In race pace we will naturally be faster and I think we can push for a P6 on merit and given some luck, maybe a bit more. Hopefully we will stay out of trouble tomorrow and make the right strategy calls.

However, I will repeat myself once more, Carlos is not a team leader, he is not a bad driver at all, but he is not a strong driver and will need to be replaced either next season or the season after. Too many times he makes a small misjudgement with a larger cost. However, he is great value for money and good enough to give us some good results whilst we take the massive savings on salary and develop the car.
really? so what do you suppose they do with the guy that he beats almost every week that he has a clean race? i remember sainz being right there with verstappen in their rookie season. i dont think anyone has enough evidence to say that carlos cant compete with most drivers in the same car. maybe he cant, and maybe he can, but one qualy session doesnt tell us one way or the other.
I didn't say it was based on one qualy session, and I'm unsure as to why you'd think that. He's made multiple mistakes at crucial times and has now compromised 3 out of 6 races.

I dont doubt his pace, I doubt his consistency and judgement this season.

I personally dont factor in his performance from years back. He's not number 1 driver level right now no matter what promise he showed in the past.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:50
mwillems wrote:

I didn't say it was based on one qualy session, and I'm unsure as to why you'd think that. He's made multiple mistakes at crucial times and has now compromised 3 out of 6 races.

I personally dont factor in his performance from years back. He's not number 1 driver level right now no matter what promise he showed in the past.
I disagree... Carlos has done a fantastic job for the team so far and has been pretty consistent... Today, it wasn’t meant to be and that doesn’t disqualify what he has done so far this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:20
Ground Effect wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:22
Can somebody please remind me where McLaren qualified a year ago in Canada? It appears some fans are mistaking hardcore with deluded. Hardcore is supporting your team, your drivers irrespective of the situation. Not praising them when they do well, and knocking them when the disappoint. Maybe Mercedes should replace Bottas with Ocon in the next race for qualifying 5th. If Sainz had qualified 4th people on here would be saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread. McLaren are trying to get back to the top, meaning that we’re not at the top, but people want us to sign Max and Lewis. I’m hoping for points tomorrow, for Carlos to be fired up, I’d rather be supportive than moan.
I like both. I want him to do well, I want him to come through and get our first podium in years, I will jump and and down with delight for him if he does. But if he keeps making silly mistakes then I will likely feel the opposite! He's a nice guy and the car is looking good, but this is a cutthroat sport and he needs to up his game a lot because frankly he is letting the car and team down a little bit at the moment.
But that's the thing, he doesn't keep making silly mistakes, he made one yesterday in qualifying, which was costly. I just don't get why people act like no other drivers make mistakes that prove costly. Exhibit A: KMag is starting from the pit lane. Exhibit B: Bottas is on the 3rd row. LeClerc has made a few mistakes in qualifying that has allowed the Ferrari's to be split. When a driver makes a mistake, it's not necessarily a reminder that he's not world class, it's a reminder that he's human.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

BosF1

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 01:24

It could be that my memory isn't serving me right, but I don't recall Sainz making mistakes in 3 out of 6 races which compromised him/McLaren. Bahrein comes into mind, but I honestly feel that was a race incident.

Would you care to elaborate on these mistakes you are talking about?