Porsche 919 sets new Spa lap record

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Big Tea

Re: Porsche 919 sets new Spa lap record

apexcontrol wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 00:29
If ppl want they can make car that looks like a batmobile, and is twice as fast as any know car on those circuits.

But there is none interested, so there no competition.
If there is no competition there nothing to win,
So Porsche must not do like they did something special because they didn't

What you think would happens if a company like merc would build a car with no rules, then every record wil be broken......50%faster

Then you would have a real record, not something Porsche came up with
Be nice to see someone turn up with one of the old V10 F1 historics and not have to meet regs and qualifying tyres.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

Big Tea wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 12:45
apexcontrol wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 00:29
If ppl want they can make car that looks like a batmobile, and is twice as fast as any know car on those circuits.

But there is none interested, so there no competition.
If there is no competition there nothing to win,
So Porsche must not do like they did something special because they didn't

What you think would happens if a company like merc would build a car with no rules, then every record wil be broken......50%faster

Then you would have a real record, not something Porsche came up with
Be nice to see someone turn up with one of the old V10 F1 historics and not have to meet regs and qualifying tyres.
It may be slightly perverted, but I would also like to see an unrestricted FormulaE have a demo. No danger of a record, but just so people can see what they can actually do and compare to a 'sports car'

henry

I’m pretty sure that with minor modifications the current cars could go quite a bit faster.

If they removed the 4MJ restriction on ES to MGU-K they’d probably be able to run electric supercharge mode for the whole lap.

Increase the fuel flow a little, not so much that you have worry about ICE fundamentals, and the power goes up again.

Then run a bit more downforce because there’s no need to worry about vulnerability on the straights.

Finally run the softest tyre that will last a lap.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Big Tea

henry wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 12:53
I’m pretty sure that with minor modifications the current cars could go quite a bit faster.

If they removed the 4MJ restriction on ES to MGU-K they’d probably be able to run electric supercharge mode for the whole lap.

Increase the fuel flow a little, not so much that you have worry about ICE fundamentals, and the power goes up again.

Then run a bit more downforce because there’s no need to worry about vulnerability on the straights.

Finally run the softest tyre that will last a lap.
I think 'get the car out of the museum' was a barb that it is not a current car, which is why I thought of the V10, or even an old active car

Andres125sx

I agree with the opinions above, but I also think it was a brilliant idea from a marketing point of view.

Easy to accomplish, no big investments required, they make use of a car wich was condemned to a museum, and they can claim they broke a F1 record. Genius!! =D> =D>

Now people car argue about how useless it was, how easy to beat again, etc. but meanwhile they´re talking about Porsche wich was exactly the intention of the marketing campaign :)

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 13:05

I think 'get the car out of the museum' was a barb that it is not a current car, which is why I thought of the V10, or even an old active car
The 919 Evo is now a museum piece. He was saying "they beat our time so get the 919 Evo out of the museum for another attempt at the record".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 14:39
I agree with the opinions above, but I also think it was a brilliant idea from a marketing point of view.

Easy to accomplish, no big investments required, they make use of a car wich was condemned to a museum, and they can claim they broke a F1 record. Genius!! =D> =D>

Now people car argue about how useless it was, how easy to beat again, etc. but meanwhile they´re talking about Porsche wich was exactly the intention of the marketing campaign :)
Very cost effective marketing and at a very selective group.

Cold Fussion

This is off topic but I remember there being news reports when Porsche pulled out of LMP1 that they intended to keep the design team staff employed; any guess to what these 400+ people will be doing now without LMP1?

roon

Cold Fussion wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 10:46
This is off topic but I remember there being news reports when Porsche pulled out of LMP1 that they intended to keep the design team staff employed; any guess to what these 400+ people will be doing now without LMP1?
Preparing the 2020 entry?

ESPImperium

roon wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 00:00
Cold Fussion wrote:
That would be my guess, as the rumour i heard was they have all their engine guys designing a V6T-HY for F1 as its likely that F1 will be keeping these engines till 2023 at the very earliest now. And id be confident to say that they will have their chassis guys designing a killer chassis. There was a rumour that there could be a new team in 2020, but i recon that 2021 will be the key year for two new entries. Could they come into F1 as a engine supplier only, McLaren or Williams, as long as they have a sorted out engine for starting in the sport???

roon

ESPImperium wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 00:10
roon wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 00:00
Cold Fussion wrote:
That would be my guess, as the rumour i heard was they have all their engine guys designing a V6T-HY for F1 as its likely that F1 will be keeping these engines till 2023 at the very earliest now. And id be confident to say that they will have their chassis guys designing a killer chassis. There was a rumour that there could be a new team in 2020, but i recon that 2021 will be the key year for two new entries. Could they come into F1 as a engine supplier only, McLaren or Williams, as long as they have a sorted out engine for starting in the sport???
If that's the case regarding engine rules, it may make sense to develop similar mills for both series. Not sure if the base characteristics of the engines need to be identical, in terms of development. Considering how important combustion and fuel is to these formulas. Maybe they can develop their combustion science while still tailoring unique engine architectures to each unique chassis.

Regarding a factory or supplier effort for F1: it seems like they would/should take an all-or-nothing approach, as they did with LMP1. Factory entry, own engine, own chassis; aim to win. What happened to the former Audi LMP1 budget and team? Gone for good, or rolled into the Porsche effort? In order to aid a potential two-pronged F1 & LMP1 entry, for 2020/2021.

roon

subcritical71 wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 03:59
roon wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 01:38
Still wonder why there's three pipes connecting the airbox to the shroud around the compressor. The outer two pipes are smaller than the center pipe. Thoughts? Might say cooling, BOV, or even a dual entry two-sided impeller. Think: one pipe to the front side as normal, and two pipes leading to the rear half. Triple entry, two-sided impeller.

I’m not seeing the 3 pipes...
Connecting to the airbox on the lower side, after the filter, are three pipes/ducts connected with three purple clamps. The outer pipes are smaller than the center pipe. Just one of my guesses: could the outer two lead to a second compressor inlet? A double-sided impeller could move more air while maintaining a small diameter. Since the turbo is positioned on top of the engine, maybe there was a height limitation which ruled out a larger diameter compressor wheel. Here's a quick sketch (and a bad scan) of what I mean.

In the photos look for the air intake trumpet or airbox, and the three purple hose/pipe clamps.

roon wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 22:28

iichel wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 22:53
There may be simpler explanations such as cooling or blow-off valve returns.

roon

Found an image of the front side of the compressor.

More here:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/amp/ta ... -lmp1-car/

Tzk
Tzk

Porsche had some sort of harvesting unit on the exhaust. Maybe those two extra pipes are used for that?

roon

Just found press releases from Honeywell, dated 2015, 2016, and 2017. So those would be three inlets for a double-sided impeller a.k.a. DualBoost. From the horse's mouth:

https://www.honeywell.com/en-us/newsroo ... of-le-mans

https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/medi ... f-le-mans/