2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

LM10 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 10:29
Phil wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 10:15
Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 01:06

I just don't see a mistake there down at the chicane. Upon returning to the pits, Ham said "sorry guys I just couldn't go any quicker".
Hamilton was up 1.5 tenths after S1, again purple in S2, but he in the end only beat his previous time by a few hundreths, so there must have been a mistake somewhere in S3.
Hamilton did purple times in S1 and S2, but he was not even half a tenth faster in S1 and less than a tenth in both sectors combined. Where did you get your numbers from?
Make an effort to watch this video.

Restomaniac

Phil wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 01:06
CriXus wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:37
Hamilton's Q3 lap.

https://streamable.com/6xgwn
I just don't see a mistake there down at the chicane. Upon returning to the pits, Ham said "sorry guys I just couldn't go any quicker".
Hamilton was up 1.5 tenths after S1, again purple in S2, but he in the end only beat his previous time by a few hundreths, so there must have been a mistake somewhere in S3.

Even so, he gotten beaten by Seb by 2 tenths plus, who was nearly as quick in S1 and S2, so i dont think it would have made a difference. It just would have been even closer.

Seriously, awesome lap and performance by Vettel. I still think though that Mercedes/Hamilton will be very hard to beat. Hamilton just loves these type of races. Ferrari are in a good position though to use Leclerc to help Vettel win the race.
Bottas will be soon in 4th as he will likely just breeze past Ricciardo and Gasly (Due to this being an overtake track and the difference between the Mercedes and the other 2) that will negate the ‘help’ Vettel gets.

Unc1eM0nty

GPR -A wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 10:37
LM10 wrote:
Phil wrote:

Hamilton did purple times in S1 and S2, but he was not even half a tenth faster in S1 and less than a tenth in both sectors combined. Where did you get your numbers from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RBuENbhs4I
That time doesn't match this ?

Juzh

ricciardo vs gasly

Gasly loses control and throws away easy P4 (possibly even P3) in the last corner. Red bull is a lot faster trough the corners but obviously nowhere on the straights, kinda like merc/ferrari. Verstappen would put this car in P3 with no trubble at all.

sosic2121

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 11:37
GPR -A wrote:
LM10 wrote:

That time doesn't match this ?

https://serving.photos.photobox.com/653 ... dd718c.jpg
He is trying to say Hamilton lost 1/10s in S3 compared to his first Q3 run, and not compared to Vettel's Q3 run.

LM10

GPR -A wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Phil wrote:

https://www.fia.com/file/82063/download

Phil

LM10 wrote:
Phil wrote:
I wasn't comparing it to Vettel, I was comparing Hamilton's 2nd Q3 run with Hamilton 1st Q3 run. Step by step:

Hamilton s'1st Q3 run was fastest.
Then for the 2nd run, Hamilton was doing his run before Vettel.

When Hamilton was doing his 2nd run, he was 1.5 tenths up on his previous purple time by end of S1. Ergo, he was up quite a bit up relative to his previous run at that point.

By the time Hamilton got to S3, he was purple in both S1 and S2 (up on his previous fastest run). However, when Hamilton crossed the line, he only narrowly beat his previous run (1:10.493) in Q3 by a couple of hundredths (1:10.446, so by 0.047), ergo, he lost in S3 more than he did on his previous run. Considering he was up on his own time by more than ~+1.5 tenths by end of sector 2 and in the end only improved by ~0.5 tenth, he obviously had some mistake in S3 compared to his previous run.

Still, as I said previously, Vettel delivered a superb lap - while he was slower than Lewis in S1 and S2, he was only narrowly slower. In S3 where the Ferrari was fastest all along, he pulled out the gap. Now, all I'm saying is that Lewis would have been closer [to Vettel] and that he indeed did make some mistake in S3 (relative to his own previous best in that sector) but I'm quite sure even if he had been faultless, he would have barely missed out on pole anyway.

Vettel's lap was really really good and he was close enough to the Hamilton/Mercedes in S1 and S2 - that was key.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jozsusz

atanatizante wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:56
1. AMuS said Merc and Williams were running with lower engine modes in qualy until they find the reason behind Racing Point engine failure, which btw. received a fresh spec.1 PU ... in the speed traps Merc and Williams were quite down and Racing Point traditionally went for a low downforce setup hence their better top speeds ...
I've read exactly the opposite of this. So now what's the truth? :D

RZS10

"You can't turn them down or run them differently because of a failure that is very difficult to judge. So no change from the way we run the engine." - Toto Wolff

TAG

Phil wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 13:00

Still, as I said previously, Vettel delivered a superb lap - while he was slower than Lewis in S1 and S2, he was only narrowly slower. In S3 where the Ferrari was fastest all along, he pulled out the gap. Now, all I'm saying is that Lewis would have been closer [to Vettel] and that he indeed did make some mistake in S3 (relative to his own previous best in that sector) but I'm quite sure even if he had been faultless, he would have barely missed out on pole anyway.

Vettel's lap was really really good and he was close enough to the Hamilton/Mercedes in S1 and S2 - that was key.
Things don't work in a vacuum Phil, you know Lewis would have been the first to say that he made a mistake in S3 if he'd made a mistake. Everything in a qualifying lap builds to a total, and you don't run one sector separate to others. It's all one lap. It's why we rarely ever see theoretical best laps be the final qualifying time.

Today's qualifying showed what Mercedes has been saying, that Ferrari would be strong here. Thankfully the Toto bashers will quiet down a bit after this weekend no? It's been nice seeing Mercedes come into a circuit as an underdog.

Vettel took advantage of his car's strnght, and Hamilton took advantage of his car's strengths. In they end around the circuit, Ferrari was faster.

Hopefully we're going to get a race that's not decided after turn one. I think Both cars will have a bitch of a time overtaking since it's really hard to pass cars that are within a tenth or so of one another. This race will come down entirely to race pace on the hard compound.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

digitalrurouni

I'm really happy that Danny Ricardo qualified such a good position in the Renault. But I somehow feel that position would not have been his if Max verstappen did not have his trouble during qualifying. I also don't think he will be holding on to that place for long in the race.

marmer

To be fair to Danny even if max had made Q3 he would have still started 5th at worst everything staying the same. So which ever way you look at it Danny did a great job sure the others didn't do great laps but you can only beat what others do not what they might do.

More interesting will be how bottas does following other cars the Merc tends to suffer more than other in traffic so if he doesn't get past gas and Danny quickly he could be in for a long afternoon

falonso81

So, Ferrari needs to do some simple things to get race victory.
a) Get away well at the start
b) Perform a good pit stop
c) Use Leclerc

Bill_Kar

digitalrurouni wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 16:29
I'm really happy that Danny Ricardo qualified such a good position in the Renault. But I somehow feel that position would not have been his if Max verstappen did not have his trouble during qualifying. I also don't think he will be holding on to that place for long in the race.
As someone said, VER would easily snatch third, no question.

But this was important for Dani, mentally, and goes on to show the incredible talent he's got.
He will get wiped by Bottas & Verstappen at some point, let's see if he is capable of beating Gasly. Dani knows the target, he is not delusional; best of F1.5 is the target.

Bill_Kar

falonso81 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 17:05
So, Ferrari needs to do some simple things to get race victory.
a) Get away well at the start
b) Perform a good pit stop
c) Use Leclerc
All they need is to have decent race pace and not concede track position to HAM at the start.

What I want to say is if Friday was representative, they will lose victory sooner or later. Because I believe chewed up tyres, combined with inherent better corner speed that Merc enjoys, plus the big tow effect, will do for Ham, no matter what.