2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shakeman

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

The only way Ferrari win today is if HAM is taken out at the start.

If VET doesn't choke under the intense examination by HAM the Ferrari pitwall strategists will choke.

I cannot see past HAM in a straight fight, VET does not have enough car advantage* to put him in a safe place. *unless today's temperatures adversely affect the Merc.

Phil

TAG wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:44
Things don't work in a vacuum Phil, you know Lewis would have been the first to say that he made a mistake in S3 if he'd made a mistake.
I believe he apologized on team radio and Toto said so too in the post qualifying interview that there was a mistake. I'm really not sure what "vacuum" you are referring to. Lewis was up 1.5 tenths after the first sector and he was purple in S2, yet he lost more in S3 than on his previous best. This isn't Barcelona where you are sacrificing one sector for another because the tires are overheating. Montreal is a high speed full confidence circuit with significant track evolution. Anyway, as I already said, I think Lewis lost around 1 to 1.5 tenths, not more, thus he wouldn't have gotten pole anyway.
Last edited by Phil on 09 Jun 2019, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Mansell89

So is a one stop possible here by eeking our the first phase and switching to hards?

Or is it simply too hot and too high deg, meaning you’ll need a M-H-M or a S-H-M?

search

Mansell89 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:15
Or is it simply too hot and too high deg, meaning you’ll need a M-H-M or a S-H-M?
hard to say, but it's really going to be interesting if that's the case, as most teams just don't have enough tires for a strategy like that. They'd need to run the Softs at some point then, and potentially multiple times if they really disappear after a handful of laps. But it's unlikely to happen of course. Unfortunately ;)

Regarding Mercedes, it's not looking too rosy with one new engine going up in smoke yesterday and now with the issues at Hamilton's car... maybe there really is some kind of problem with that specification at last?!

izzy

Shakeman wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:05

If VET doesn't choke under the intense examination by HAM the Ferrari pitwall strategists will choke.

I cannot see past HAM in a straight fight, VET does not have enough car advantage* to put him in a safe place. *unless today's temperatures adversely affect the Merc.
Based on qualy the Ferrari has enough traction out of the hairpin to stay ahead on the straight, and that's the only passing place. The only chance for Lewis is if the Ferrari eats its rears quite a lot faster, which it might do but if Seb can look after them the action is all going to be behind, while Seb and Lewis go round and round in tandem :(

but perhaps the Pirellis can deliver for us :mrgreen:

Restomaniac

izzy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:27
Shakeman wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:05

Based on qualy the Ferrari has enough traction out of the hairpin to stay ahead on the straight, and that's the only passing place. The only chance for Lewis is if the Ferrari eats its rears quite a lot faster, which it might do but if Seb can look after them the action is all going to be behind, while Seb and Lewis go round and round in tandem :(

Long straight plus DRS?

matt_b

Interested to see the power of DRS here with the new regs and how fragile the tyres are in these temps. Last year the tyres went for days, overtaking was very minimal and it was all a bit confusing on a track known for overtaking.

atanatizante

Water leak inside the ICE on Lewis` car was discovered some hours ago and now mechanics are working full steam in order to get ready in time (taking the engine out???) ... said Lewis on track parade to Rossana at Sky ... even Bottas`s mechanics are out there ...
Last edited by atanatizante on 09 Jun 2019, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

izzy

Restomaniac wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:38
izzy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:27

Long straight plus DRS?
yes i know what you mean, but last year...

and what's DRS worth? 12 kph or something, and the Ferraris have 6 kph so that's half of it gone, and being first out of the hairpin gives a few car lengths automatically

and even last year, in Baku on the restart Lewis towed up behind Seb, pulled out and just stopped, with the drag

Shrieker

izzy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:51
and what's DRS worth? 12 kph or something, and the Ferraris have 6 kph so that's half of it gone, and being first out of the hairpin gives a few car lengths automatically
There's free DRS in quali, and DRS negates the drag of the rear wing almost completely. So the figures you've mentioned aren't exactly representative.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

search

the DRS effect is not the same for everyone though. If Ferrari is running more wing than Mercedes (which I think they are?!) they'll suffer more without DRS, in comparison

atanatizante

They just fired Lewis` ICE a couple of minutes ago ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Mansell89

I heavily fancied Red Bull this weekend in race trim because it just looks pretty good on its tyres.

Max might be too far back but if he starts hard compound and goes super long, who knows how much advantage he could have in a late stint whilst everyone else nurses their hards [tyres] (careful guys, careful). I think if someone is brave enough to two stop and play late, they could cause havoc.

FrukostScones

this will be a total borefest
VET running off into the distance, HAM dnf LEC 2nd.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

GPR-A

FrukostScones wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:58
this will be a total borefest
VET running off into the distance, HAM dnf LEC 2nd.
When was the last time you got your prediction of HAM DNF right? I have been reading that prediction of yours for ages now. :lol:
Last edited by GPR-A on 09 Jun 2019, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.