2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Brenton

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

F1 cars have amazing handling and braking. The lower speed corner and steady trajectory of Vettel was such that there was no real danger of anyone hitting him. It was easy for Hamilton to avoid a collision. So there was no significant danger created by the way he rejoined the track. There was also no reasonable expectation of Vettel being able to rejoin the track differently than he did. So to those saying it was a correct penalty... how? In what way is this a penalty?

If looking back at other instances of rejoining the track in F1 races of recent years, the penalty looks especially ridiculous. Drivers do far worse cutting chicanes all the time without getting penalties.

Did Vettel make a mistake? Yes obviously. Those saying that a mistake equals a deserved penalty... then why not penalize every other mistake drivers make? Does Vettel let his emotions cause him significant problems? Yes but that has nothing to do with whether or not it was right to change the result of a race.

Anyone who hasn't driven a race car and has no idea what it's like to control a car in that situation... why are you assuming that Vettel could have rejoined differently when you don't have a clue what it's like to drive a race car through the grass of a chicane? F1 drivers Brundle and Button are both saying there's nothing he could have done. It's silly arrogance to think you know better than them.

It's frustrating to see, after such an noncompetitive start of the season, to finally have a good battle for victory determined like this. I'm getting significantly less interested in watching this season.
Last edited by Brenton on 09 Jun 2019, 22:10, edited 5 times in total.

Bisonas

Its one of those days that makes you wander if its worth it watching formula1 races any more.
i am mostly a Mclaren fun, I actually don't like VET at all but today i got sick with what i saw.
I have watched a thousand times ppl cutting chicanes and staying in front and get away with a warning for first offense. i have seen ppl doing much worst that actually gained them a advantage and get away with it.
VET did a honest mistake cut a chicane through the grass he didn't gain any advantage he lost time and managed to stay ahead. @ Worst it should be a warning of ok, we understand, just don't do it again.
And when the majority of f1 lovers not team lovers actually see this incident as nothing, stewards come and give 5 sec penalty. Ruining the rest of the race, Ruining the last chances we had for lets say a 2 horse championship and showing in the most brutal manner that they have FIA in their pockets. FIA is Mercedes pets. srlsy. i am just sick with what i saw !!!
That Smile on Totos face, that when he realizes that he is on camera suddenly turns into awkwardness.. Made me even more sick
Srlsy i just couldn't believe what i was watching !!!

ringo

Let's wait on the telemetry that the FIA has.
Hamilton is too strong, compared to Bottas this should have been a ferrari 1-2. I think this was the best time to beat Lewis this year. the next opportunity is France and Monza.
Ferrari need to sign hamilton to win another championship.

Good race from top 2, verstappen, renault, and maybe verstappen.
For Sure!!

FrukostScones

totally fair by the stewards.

typical VET mistake, knowing better, still doing it.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan

I felt sorry for the Merc employee that went on the podium and didn't get the usual high energy stuff. She looked so happy to be up there but the drivers were not "on it".

Good to see Seb saying "don't boo Lewis, it's not his fault" on the podium. Respect. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cannonballer

ringo wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:57
Carl Mccoy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:53
Hamilton can not be punished because it's racist since 2008
Haha punished for what? :wtf: :lol:
He races for Mercedes and maximizing points for his team. He is not even a part of this vettel debacle. This is between vettel, his error and the stewards.
And in strict sense of the word, if hamilton did not have control over his car he would have crashed and seb continue.
So i beleive the call was right from the FIA.
If they didn't punish Seb, and ferrari won, we would be blaming them for being soft on seb. So i think they made a very fair judgement. Hard but fair.
All seb had to do was not quake under pressure and the win would have been his.
Agreed. If there is no penalty when Vettel went off, isn't he gaining an advantage by reentering the track in an unsafe manner? (I am aware I have combined two different rules there.)
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

wickedz50

F1 has always been drama...Merc win all or 20 of 21 who cares ...
Ferrari lost 2019 already...so why get so hyped up...Ferrari fans this is not the end...

Unf

Official times shows that Leclerc was 4.6s behind Vet... so why Vet was 2nd?

4mula1

Driver A made a critical mistake with Driver B right behind. Driver A re-entered the track and forcibly blocked driver B.

I guess that's the way I saw it. I don't really like it, but you make that mistake at that moment and you lose a position. Don't make that mistake and you win.

DiogoBrand

Look at both sides of the matter:
If Vettel doesn't get the penalty, Hamilton doesn't win the race, BUT
If Vettel doesn't block Hamilton on that incident, he would've certainly lost the lead.

So in my opinion it's not 100% correct and not 100% wrong to give him a penalty.
Last edited by DiogoBrand on 09 Jun 2019, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

Unf wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:04
Official times shows that Leclerc was 4.6s behind Vet... so why Vet was 2nd?
behind HAM , 6 behind VET.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

komninosm

siskue2005 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:47
Carl Mccoy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:46
Vettel should ignore the podium.
he cant, rules!
He can do it though, and then he should be punished for bringing F1 into disrepute.

This is all happening because FIA didn't BLACK FLAG Vettel back in Baku when he crashed into Hamilton on purpose behind the safety car.
Vettel has fostered/festered a bad mentality since then.
WTF was Vettel doing pushing his car like that btw?
Last edited by turbof1 on 09 Jun 2019, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language

Restomaniac

The only thing I can think is that Vettel pinned it coming off the grass to stay in front. The FIA would have that data.

I don’t think it right BTW.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 09 Jun 2019, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

Brenton wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:01
F1 cars have amazing handling and braking. The lower speed corner and steady trajectory of Vettel was such that there was no real danger of anyone hitting him. It was easy for Hamilton to avoid a collision. So there was no significant danger created by the way he rejoined the track. There was also no reasonable expectation of Vettel being able to rejoin the track differently than he did. So to those saying it was a correct penalty... how? In what way is this a penalty?

If looking back at other instances of rejoining the track in F1 races of recent years, the penalty looks especially ridiculous. Drivers do far worse cutting chicanes all the time without getting penalties.
looked at the replays in more detail, and Seb is at fault, he saw Lewis coming and stepped into the throttle before coming back onto the track. Watch closely and listen the audio, you can hear the tyres spinning up in the grass under power. Vettel could have done a better job slowing the car. So the FIA is right.
Vettel is not being honest. He should have just calmed down and come on back the track and not floor it till the car was back on the tarmac. He would have been able to retake after the hairpin.

So yes Penalty Deserved. VETTEL SPUN UP THE TYRES.. so yes unsafe re entry. 8)
For Sure!!

siskue2005

Sierra117 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:52
The penalty was harsh but amazing how Lewis is being blamed for someone else's mistakes (Vettel & FIA).
yup i agree