2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DiogoBrand

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

One thing I can say for sure is:
That lack of emotional control Seb displayed after the race is exactly the reason he always seems to choke agains Hamilton, in my opinion.

komninosm

Juzh wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:44
mercedes celebrating as if they've actually won the race legit :lol: :lol:
They did win legit.
Vettel clearly broke a rule and was punished.
Also Hamilton was faster in the race so they won on race pace too.
Last edited by Steven on 09 Jun 2019, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

JordanMugen

For all the talk of no other options, SV could easily have later backed off and let LH past in order to redress for leaving the track and gaining an advantage. Therefore no controversial penalty would be required.

scorpio2020

Lewis wins Formula Hamilton race in Canada :oops:

FrukostScones

VET clearly cut right with this certain second thought... clearly dodgy.
His excuses are MSC territory now.
Last edited by FrukostScones on 09 Jun 2019, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

maxxer

So in the radio message Seb says "if i had gone to the inside he would have passed me"
I guess the telemetry showed that he didnt even tried to brake while on the grass and entering the track.
He was pushed into the mistake and he couldnt handle it , again and again this his problem its like certain football players who bite others he needs to work on it.

Cuky

JordanMugen wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:09
For all the talk of no other options, SV could easily have later backed off and let LH past in order to redress for leaving the track and gaining an advantage. Therefore no controversial penalty would be required.
SV didn't gain advantage with leaving the track, he actually lost time

JordanMugen

maxxer wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:11
So in the radio message Seb says "if i had gone to the inside he would have passed me"
Sounds like leaving the track and gaining advantage to me. The penalty would therefore be for failing to redress at a later point.

Unf

First of all - driver who don't do mistakes is better. Ham was clearly better.
Second - Vettel knew excatly what he was doing - he even did tiny right-turn at the end to be 100% sure that he will block HAM beside the wall. He wanted to blck and he did it. Is it proper way to go back to track? No. Is it in "race spirit"? Yes it is. Is it allowed due to rules? Nope. So penalty was right.

JordanMugen

Cuky wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
Failing to lose a place is gaining an advantage. Hamilton lost even more time by needing to brake at the start of a straight, nullifying Vettel's time loss.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 09 Jun 2019, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Shrieker

Vettel takes a leaf out of Schumacher's book, and tries to shift the narrative to hide his shortcoming. Real crafty move there my friend. He should've been a politician.

Was the penalty justified ? %100. Was it good that the race was decided this way ? Obviously not.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

LionKing

JordanMugen wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:14
Cuky wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
Failing to lose a place is gaining an advantage.
Like Mexico start where Hamilton didn't even bother to brake into T1?
or the Verstappen incident someone posted a video in this thread?

ringo

Whoever is saying that F1 can brake well and it was easy for Lewis to avoid crashing needs to watch the replay again. It was almost a miracle that Hamilton did not hit Vettel. Vettel not only came back on dangerously, he also did it in a pinching maneuver. And that is compounded by him stepping in the throttle to rush back onto the track to block Hamilton.
I wanted ferrari to win today, but vettel just wasn't good enough to last all 70 laps. I saw the pressure building up on him for the last 20 laps and knew mentally he wouldn't be able to survive it. The pressure caused the error indeed and this is worthy of Hamilton being driver of the day.
Vettel just didn't want to give it up after all those laps, so he desperately stepped into the throttle of he went off to try and come back on track and obstruct hamilton. Sorry Seb but the FIA are right. Best of luck next race!
For Sure!!

Jolle

I have two thoughts, first, if they didn't apply a penalty, nobody, including Mercedes, would have objected. But second, I feel that the penalty wasn't for the initial re-entry back on track, but the final squeeze towards the wall. It does happen in a split second but it's that style of driving that Vettel has, that small extra unnecessary move as a reaction being in a disadvantage position. Bit like Schumacher and Rosberg had as well. Bit nasty.... and for that, I do feel that at least a reprimande was in order. If you look at the Ricciardo/Hamilton moment at Monaco in 2016, he left him precisely 1 car plus 2 inches space.

Anyway, I don't feel Vettel was robbed of a win, Hamilton forced him into a mistake and he was lucky that he didn't put in the wall. We were robbed of a potential epic battle for the last ten laps.

anyway, another missed opportunity from Vettel.

atanatizante

Toto said on RTL that in Vettel`s case he must have left a car length distance between the cars

Nonetheless, Vettel had he would he won it seems that he should have been penalised for having a lower fuel level than the minimum allowed ... after the race for testing

Anyway, definitely, I think the answer for Ferrari race pace today was more down to higher track temp rather than high-speed track ... and that`s why Vettel was grinning after all on the podium coz maybe he is thinking that Ferrari has finally found a solution for the tyre issue ... time will tell but it`s a good prospect for the future races ahead, don`t you think?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus