2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FrukostScones

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Dr. Acula wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:18
FrukostScones wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:10
VET clearly cut right with this certain second thought... clearly dodgy.
His excuses are MSC territory now.
Sky F1 just showed now that Vettel couldn't do anything else. There wasn't anything dodgy.
that is open to interpreatation.

VET admitted already on the radio ....
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Phil

Jolle wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:16
I have two thoughts, first, if they didn't apply a penalty, nobody, including Mercedes, would have objected. But second, I feel that the penalty wasn't for the initial re-entry back on track, but the final squeeze towards the wall. It does happen in a split second but it's that style of driving that Vettel has, that small extra unnecessary move as a reaction being in a disadvantage position. Bit like Schumacher and Rosberg had as well. Bit nasty.... and for that, I do feel that at least a reprimande was in order. If you look at the Ricciardo/Hamilton moment at Monaco in 2016, he left him precisely 1 car plus 2 inches space.

Anyway, I don't feel Vettel was robbed of a win, Hamilton forced him into a mistake and he was lucky that he didn't put in the wall. We were robbed of a potential epic battle for the last ten laps.

anyway, another missed opportunity from Vettel.
Thumbs up. Well said. I would have loved Seb to win today, but when he left the track with Hamilton shadowing him within less of a second, that position was lost right there. Still extremely bitter end to an epic race.

I also think Vettel drove amazing. It’s tough to have Hamilton in your rear mirrors in the quicker car, the pressure of Ferrari and the fans in your back.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

komninosm

TAG wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:21
komninosm wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:06
This is all happening because FIA didn't BLACK FLAG Vettel back in Baku when he crashed into Hamilton on purpose behind the safety car.
He has a long history which apparently alot of the Vettel automatons here are quick to dismiss. He called Charlie (may god rest his soul) a ---!ng idiot" on the radio, he hit who was is Stroll and tore his care apart after the cool down lap and blamed Stroll. He's got a red mist problem when things don't go his way, always has.
Exactly, and while Vettel eventually calms down and apologizes (if half-heartedly) the automatons fans (not all Vettel fans) are fostering this bad mentality in Formula 1 for years now (with support from some racist sides too) and are making the sport suffer for it.

Bill_Kar

komninosm wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:24
TAG wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:21
komninosm wrote:
This is all happening because FIA didn't BLACK FLAG Vettel back in Baku when he crashed into Hamilton on purpose behind the safety car.
He has a long history which apparently alot of the Vettel automatons here are quick to dismiss. He called Charlie (may god rest his soul) a ---!ng idiot" on the radio, he hit who was is Stroll and tore his care apart after the cool down lap and blamed Stroll. He's got a red mist problem when things don't go his way, always has.
Exactly, and while Vettel eventually calms down and apologizes (if half-heartedly) the automatons fans (not all Vettel fans) are fostering this bad mentality in Formula 1 for years now (with support from some racist sides too) and are making the sport suffer for it.
Imagine Jackie Stewart right now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TwanV

komninosm wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:22
siskue2005 wrote:
Sierra117 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 21:52
The penalty was harsh but amazing how Lewis is being blamed for someone else's mistakes (Vettel & FIA).
yup i agree
I've already reported a couple of racist posts in this thread too. It's no wonder to me at this point. The wrong mentality was supported for a long time and the wrong people were attracted to F1 and not educated properly afterwards neither.
ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications

You've got it all wrong mate. You're in the wrong realm with your little racism card, Lewis is well judged here.
Last edited by turbof1 on 09 Jun 2019, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: instigation and unnecessary putting down "ham fans" as biased

turbof1

Ok gentlemen and gentlewomen,

PLEASE keep it friendly. I know that what happened is highly controversial and we know opinions are very much split on the matter. But stay polite to one another.

Anybody unable to stay constructive and trying to make things personal, will get a ticket to the moderator spa, including a sauna at the Warning & Ban corner, to sweat off their frustrations. You have been warned!
#AeroFrodo

wickedz50

Had to come...too much of nonsense posts

tnajner

atanatizante wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:16
Toto said on RTL that in Vettel`s case he must have left a car length distance between the cars

Nonetheless, Vettel had he would he won it seems that he should have been penalised for having a lower fuel level than the minimum allowed ... after the race for testing

Anyway, definitely, I think the answer for Ferrari race pace today was more down to higher track temp rather than high-speed track ... and that`s why Vettel was grinning after all on the podium coz maybe he is thinking that Ferrari has finally found a solution for the tyre issue ... time will tell but it`s a good prospect for the future races ahead, don`t you think?
Please explain how vettel should have left a car length distance between the cars at that place? By that logic should put it into the right wall. It should be either a car's width or Toto's talk does not make sense, nothing new.

TAG

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGzDkb3UW0w

I don't need to say anything else.
So where in this video was Lewis out of control when he rejoined the circuit? I'm struggling to see it? I'd have so much more respect for him if he ever actually took the blame for the umpteen mistakes he's made. He's garnered himself a reputation for choking under pressure.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Restomaniac

Has Vettel been too honest when he admitted he saw Hamilton?
If he has also pinned the throttle coming back on as well has he given the stewards no choice when looking at the letters of the rule?

Wynters

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGzDkb3UW0w

I don't need to say anything else.
I'm not sure it's a direct parallel. Apart from it being different stewards and possibly under a different set of sporting regulations / guidance notes (?), Vettel/Hamilton ended up with Hamilton pushed all the way over the white line.

I'm not sure whether penalising Vettel was correct or not. From a thought experiment position, how would people have reacted if the same thing had happened but, instead of a wall, it was a concrete run off area and Hamilton completed the overtake off track? Would Hamilton have to give the position back?

timbo

I think hadn't Vettel made mistake, Hamilton will have a good chance of overtaking him anyway. In the end, he was getting out of Vettel's slipstream on the back straight.
The pace was just not there on white label tyres. Leclerc was fast in the closing stages, but he had fresher tyres and didn't have to push as much right after the pitstop.

komninosm

TwanV wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:25
komninosm wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:22
siskue2005 wrote:

yup i agree
I've already reported a couple of racist posts in this thread too. It's no wonder to me at this point. The wrong mentality was supported for a long time and the wrong people were attracted to F1 and not educated properly afterwards neither.
You've got it all wrong mate, anyone who isn't a HAM fan is absolutely disgusted by this race. You're in the wrong realm with your little racism card, Lewis is well judged here.
No, it is you who has got it all wrong.
I didn't say YOU were racist. But others were, demonstrably so. So you lose that part of the argument.
Also there are lots of people who aren't HAM fans who said this was a fair call and that the race was fun too. Just read the other posts here. So you lose your second part of the argument too.
You may judge Lewis well, but others do not.

Also the RULES are clear. Vettel broke them. He should have entered more safely with less acceleration right from the start and left room on the outside. Vettel did not do the squeeze on purpose, but he didn't do the mistake on purpose either. The rules do not say "you cannot enter unsafely and squeeze an opponent into the wall ON PURPOSE".
The rules say "you cannot enter unsafely and squeeze an opponent" period!
Intent if it could be proven (somewhat) would only cause a WORSE penalty. Lack of intent does not cause a lesser one.

Carl Mccoy

Hamilton have no chance to pass Vettel on back straight.

Just_a_fan

Carl Mccoy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:32
Hamilton have no chance to pass Vettel on back straight.
Which is why he was pressuring him in the twisty stuff to make him make a mistake. Worked too...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.