2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loner

Re: 2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

there will be grid penalties in France but i think its good news :wink:
para bellum.

etusch

Wouter

"At the Paul Ricard circuit we will be running an upgraded Spec 3 Power Unit on Max, Pierre and Daniil’s cars."
Gridpenalty for Kvyat. :(

https://en.hondaracingf1.com/races/2019 ... -prix.html
The Power of Dreams!

Hkbruin2

So it seems that Mclaren and Mercedes have an advantage with their front suspension design. I wonder if TR took a step back by adopting the RB style front suspension, whereas last year they had the Merc like setup with the front upper suspension pivot outside of the wheel hub. Had they kept it, and then evolved it to match the ‘19 changes, I wonder if that would have produced similar performance and tire management?

ispano6

Hkbruin2 wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 11:04
So it seems that Mclaren and Mercedes have an advantage with their front suspension design. I wonder if TR took a step back by adopting the RB style front suspension, whereas last year they had the Merc like setup with the front upper suspension pivot outside of the wheel hub. Had they kept it, and then evolved it to match the ‘19 changes, I wonder if that would have produced similar performance and tire management?
I doubt it.
McLaren didn't race the POU, only sampled it. But I agree McLaren is starting to look more and more like Mercedes around the front of the car kind of like how STR looked a lot like MB. Perhaps its a James Key thing.

The STR appears to be low drag seeing Kvyat's straight line speed.
I wonder what kind of upgrades STR are working on their own? Surely they can try things with their chassis that RB can't on their wheelbase. STR14 to me seems like a better platform to play with, especially if you can get your rake angle right for the particular track.

Wouter

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA RACING F1

This is a big weekend for both our teams, at the home of Red Bull. It’s another reason to want to do well here. Located in scenic countryside, at 4.3 kilometres it is a relatively short track, but it still presents plenty of interesting challenges for drivers and engineers. It has many uphill and downhill sections and with its altitude of 700 metres above sea level, we need to keep our eye on the affect this has on the turbine and also on cooling. Having given our Spec 3 PU its debut a few days ago without any issues in France, we have acquired plenty of data from it. This week all four of our drivers, including Alex, will have the latest specification PU which means he has to take grid penalties. Once again, very hot conditions are forecast for this weekend too, so we must keep that factor in mind during our preparation and refer to data we have acquired in France.
https://en.hondaracingf1.com/races/2019 ... ?tab=setup
The Power of Dreams!

McMika98

I hope Toro Rosso refuse the new spec for Albon and wait till 2 taces later for the major upgraded hardware. The track is impossible to overtake especially given that the updated spec is still weakest link. Albon was as quick as Gasly in qualy so no point taking the hit here.

Big Tea

McMika98 wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 18:15
I hope Toro Rosso refuse the new spec for Albon and wait till 2 taces later for the major upgraded hardware. The track is impossible to overtake especially given that the updated spec is still weakest link. Albon was as quick as Gasly in qualy so no point taking the hit here.
Not really worth it unless he would be in the top 6 rows really. The advantage would not need to be much to outweigh taking a penalty from the back of the grid.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Marti_EF3

Shame, I would've liked at least one Spec 2 doing the full lenght of 7gp. But If Honda wants this way, I understand it. 4 cars gathering data of the newest spec for better maps and developing next step. I think Kvyat will do a good race :mrgreen:

Hkbruin2

Perhaps the new turbo is better optimized for the high altitude and thinner air, thus providing a much more consistent performance throughout the race? Despite Albon being on the Spec 2 and largely performing better than Kvyat on Spec 3 (moreso because Alex was way more comfortable and familiar with Paul Ricard than Danni), perhaps he would have finished further up than Kvyat had he upgraded to spec 3. I’m curious to see what the delta is between them.

ispano6

Marti_EF3 wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 21:27
Shame, I would've liked at least one Spec 2 doing the full lenght of 7gp. But If Honda wants this way, I understand it. 4 cars gathering data of the newest spec for better maps and developing next step. I think Kvyat will do a good race :mrgreen:
It doesn't have to be consecutively though, does it? It can still do Fridays and do that distance but really at this stage like you mentioned you just want to continue to run and optimize your latest spec PU. No sense in racing your tired old engine when you have a shiny new one with more potential waiting to be unleashed.

Besides, this isn't Honda's decision. Honda provides the PUs to Red Bull Technologies and they ultimately decide how and when to use it.

aran.vtec

Marti_EF3 wrote:
I wonder if they wont use spec2 on Fridays with higher engine modes than normal to see how it lasts, Should give them a good idea how hard to push the spec3

etusch

aran.vtec wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 08:44
Marti_EF3 wrote:
I wonder if they wont use spec2 on Fridays with higher engine modes than normal to see how it lasts, Should give them a good idea how hard to push the spec3
It is logical and harmless way of testing it.

Big Tea

I seem to recall Max saying in an interview that Honda were told, words to the effect of- if you have something new, bring it and we will use it, do not hang back.

Dont remember where but distinctly do remember and noting it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.