2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

No, too early for me, might hear later in the week - I've just heard they've got some more parts on the way.

M840TR

The engineers say that the McLaren MCL34 still has its weaknesses. Where are they?

Brown: The car is better in the fast corners than in the slow ones. We are constantly working to eliminate the weak points and have taken a good step forward in Montreal. The feedback from the drivers was positive.

Does McLaren understand the new Pirelli tires?

Brown: We feel pretty comfortable with the tires. We too are sometimes surprised, but I think we have less trouble understanding them than some other teams.

So you do not belong to the group that wants Pirelli to return to the old tires?

Brown: We are not there.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -comeback/

makecry

M840TR wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 20:12
The engineers say that the McLaren MCL34 still has its weaknesses. Where are they?

Brown: The car is better in the fast corners than in the slow ones. We are constantly working to eliminate the weak points and have taken a good step forward in Montreal. The feedback from the drivers was positive.

Brown: We feel pretty comfortable with the tires. We too are sometimes surprised, but I think we have less trouble understanding them than some other teams.

So you do not belong to the group that wants Pirelli to return to the old tires?

What's disappointing for me is that they have the been bringing updates for almost every race and STILL they havent been able to clear the midfield by a couple of tenths.

PhillipM

The rest of the teams don't sit there doing sweet fa all season you know.

makecry

PhillipM wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 21:49
The rest of the teams don't sit there doing sweet fa all season you know.
That has nothing to do with my comment. Mclaren has brought bigger and more frequent updates than any other midfield team, including Renault. Their Spain update was almost as big as a b-spec in a way. Since then they have brought a couple of updates including another floor. They should be outdeveloping teams like toro Rosso by now.

PhillipM

They were clearly faster than TR in Canada...

makecry

PhillipM wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 22:42
I like how you pick and choose. They were slower at Monaco and they were slower at Spain than Kvyat. Monaco is a chassis track. All Honda cars were slower at Canada. At Spain after such a big update, the team was slower than 2 Haas, Ricciardo and Kvyat, we just got lucky with the result because Lando's incident.

My point stands, with the number of updates McLaren has brought, they should be much further ahead in pace than they are right now. Even Zak Brown has said they are sixth fastest in the interview. Renault is bringing a major update and if it works, they are going to be clearly faster than McLaren is right now.

PhillipM

You say I'm pick and choosing, then choose two tracks where the car was expected to be fairly slow at simply because the philosophy doesn't suit those circuits....and they did better in both of those than originally expected, showing the updates are helping relative to the rest of the field.

Ground Effect

makecry wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 22:47
PhillipM wrote:
I like how you pick and choose. They were slower at Monaco and they were slower at Spain than Kvyat. Monaco is a chassis track. All Honda cars were slower at Canada. At Spain after such a big update, the team was slower than 2 Haas, Ricciardo and Kvyat, we just got lucky with the result because Lando's incident.

My point stands, with the number of updates McLaren has brought, they should be much further ahead in pace than they are right now. Even Zak Brown has said they are sixth fastest in the interview. Renault is bringing a major update and if it works, they are going to be clearly faster than McLaren is right now.
Apart from tweaks to the bargeboards in Bahrain, McLaren raced practically the same car in the first four races. The significant upgrade in Barcelona was probably matched by Haas and Racing Point, so Mclaren’s updates were hardly unprecedented. Racing Point had a major upgrade from testing to Melbourne and again in Barcelona, but their form has been indifferent. Most of the teams in the midfield, largely based on this years aero rules, have their performance dependent on the track. But McLaren have fared relatively well, even where they were meant to be weak, their updates seem to have improved the weak areas, unlike RP, who are still trying to get a handle of their car. Renault have probably been the most consistent team in bringing updates, far more than McLaren. If McLaren are going to jump to the front of the midfield and pull out a gap, it’s not going to happen overnight.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

LM10

Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 20:12

From same interview:

What do you do when Alonso calls?

Brown: Then I have to ask Chase Carey if I'm allowed to use three cars. We both have our drivers under longer term contracts and we are happy with them. Fortunately, Fernando has not called yet.

And if so?

Brown: There are no cockpits available at McLaren right now.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis

People are expecting way too much from updates. Everyone brings updates all the time, so you have to really find something big to clear four teams. It's also not that easy to the change the characteristics of a car during the season. McLaren has been the most stable of the midfield so far and I'll expect another good step in 2020. Let's not forget that we're talking about a team that was fighting with Williams and the end of last year.

mwillems

I don't think Mclarens strength has been a car that is fastest than the rest. Just a car that is consistently at the front end of the midfield whereas others push forward and drop back. I can see that continuing for a while.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

As Ron Dennis said. It takes time. We should focus on getting a big leap each year and we will match the first three in no time.

RS200E

makecry wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 22:47
PhillipM wrote:

Not even half way through 2019. You're expecting too much from McLaren. You obviously have problems processing information.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!