2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

Tyre Choices

2018 Results
Qualifying

Race

2018 Pole Lap

2018 Race Highlights
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 16 Jun 2019, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

izzy

Re: 2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

The track looks a bit weird with all the red, white and blue paint but it was a good race last year, that chicane worked and they could actually overtake

GPR-A

Stupidity of Pirelli. No reason to bring C2 for this GP. The tyre selection from the top teams clearly shows that C2 isn't even required for this race. Just making C3, C4 and C5 would have spiced up a bit.

izzy

GPR -A wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 13:01
Stupidity of Pirelli. No reason to bring C2 for this GP. The tyre selection from the top teams clearly shows that C2 isn't even required for this race. Just making C3, C4 and C5 would have spiced up a bit.
They said, over the winter I think, that they'd decided to bring harder compounds this year, because if they bring soft ones teams don't pit more they just go slower, to make them last!

bosyber

Yep, indeed - especially at the end of last year, soft tyres very often led to dead slow races with everyone busy saving the tyres up so they'd last the 1 stop strategy, because they couldn't get past even of somewhat faster tyres. So, it might be wrong for this season, potentially, but it is hard for Pirelli to know that in advance, because they have the least accurate data on how the cars are going to turn out, so have to count with worst and best case of traction, downforce, and then keep safe limits bc. the negative publicity from tyres blowing, or blistering badly - hence the shallower thread tyres, is much worse than any positive they get from a good strategic race, which won't really give them a mention.

NathanOlder

Has the track layout changed or is it the wrong track map in the original post?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

izzy

bosyber wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 13:27
Yep, indeed - especially at the end of last year, soft tyres very often led to dead slow races with everyone busy saving the tyres up so they'd last the 1 stop strategy, because they couldn't get past even of somewhat faster tyres. So, it might be wrong for this season, potentially, but it is hard for Pirelli to know that in advance, because they have the least accurate data on how the cars are going to turn out, so have to count with worst and best case of traction, downforce, and then keep safe limits bc. the negative publicity from tyres blowing, or blistering badly - hence the shallower thread tyres, is much worse than any positive they get from a good strategic race, which won't really give them a mention.
Yes they have to fix the aero first don't they. Nobody's going to sacrifice track position for pace at the moment, if they can help it. We all hoped this year's aero was going to make a difference, but it's been a bit of a disappointment really, they still can't follow after all.

But this track wasn't bad for it, and although people moan about the runoff it does mean drivers are more willing to have a go, round the outside especially

Big Tea

bosyber wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 13:27
They should make them 'softer' then so they are less use later in the race and requiring or making it more of an option to pit.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

MercedesAMGSpy

I guess S3 is going to save Mercedes here if they want to take pole. Judging VET vs HAM CAN Q3 laps, the Merc will be giving up tenths and tenths in S2.

GPR-A

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 17:10
I guess S3 is going to save Mercedes here if they want to take pole. Judging VET vs HAM CAN Q3 laps, the Merc will be giving up tenths and tenths in S2.
I don't think Ferrari would be weak in S3 as it is a wide, fast turns all the way, except for last turn. So, based on what we saw in Canada, Ferrari should be extremely good here as there are not a lot of medium and slow corners.

cooken

Agreed, given Ferrari performance in Canada they should be strong here. I had thought the last hairpin in Canada being slow would hinder them vs Merc in the traction exit phase and cancel our summer of the straight line advantage, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Major parameter that could make things different than Canada is temperature though. Will it be as hot?

MtthsMlw

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 13:51
Has the track layout changed or is it the wrong track map in the original post?
I got it wrong, exchanged it with a map from formula1.com now.
The pit entry has changed however, it now leaves out turn 15.

TAG

The third jewel in the back to back French Speaking GPs. Can Hamilton make it the triple crown?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

zibby43

GPR -A wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 17:13
MercedesAMGSpy wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 17:10
I don't think Ferrari would be weak in S3 as it is a wide, fast turns all the way, except for last turn. So, based on what we saw in Canada, Ferrari should be extremely good here as there are not a lot of medium and slow corners.
I don't know. Watching the lap, this circuit reminds me more of Barcelona than Canada. Wide variety of all different types of corners, and plenty of them. Can see why it was used as a test circuit.

SiLo

I think it will be a Ferrari pole but a Mercedes win. There are a lot of straights here and Ferrari essentially gain free time just going in a straight line. Unless Hamilton or Bottas put in a stunner to nick it. Quite a lot of acceleration zones leading into long straights.
Felipe Baby!