Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
SiLo

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Polite wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 12:53
SiLo wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 12:11
roon wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 21:56

Ever spoke to them about oil burning? Or was that all press and forum banter? For that matter, steel pistons, multi material pistons, pre-chambers & TJI, fuel composition, speculative stuff generally. Is there anything they get particularly tight-lipped about?
They were burning oil. They even had an extra bladder of oil in the tea-tray of the car before it all got cracked down on.
that was 2015 to 2016 Ferrari PU.. and no more.
I literally had it confirmed at Merc F1 HQ whilst on a factory tour.
Felipe Baby!

Polite

SiLo wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 14:05
Polite wrote:
SiLo wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 12:11

They were burning oil. They even had an extra bladder of oil in the tea-tray of the car before it all got cracked down on.
i was talking about the second oil tank.. not the oil burning at all.
OFC what Merc says about other cars is true :mrgreen:
Everyone out here were burning oil.. and Merc was the only PU out of the 0,9lperGP oil after Monza 2017 till the end of the year 2017.

SiLo

Polite wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 12:49
SiLo wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 14:05
Polite wrote:

i was talking about the second oil tank.. not the oil burning at all.
OFC what Merc says about other cars is true :mrgreen:
Everyone out here were burning oil.. and Merc was the only PU out of the 0,9lperGP oil after Monza 2017 till the end of the year 2017.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here?
Felipe Baby!

Phil

Not to mention that despite Mercedes bringing out the engine earlier (under the old regs), they said they were confirming to the 0.9l limit.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Wouter

Mudflap wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 00:43
Some fresh goss from Merc engineers:

Stroll's failure was a faulty sparkplug causing misfire which eventually took out the cylinder.
This is just confirmed. 👌 Jun 18, 2019, 1:00 PM

Mercedes has revealed that Lance Stroll's spectacular power unit blow-up in Canada was the result of a spark plug failure – and the Stuttgart manufacturer has taken steps to prevent a repeat.

Stroll's Racing Point suffered a failure early in FP3, inevitably leading to some concerns about the remaining examples.

Following an investigation at HPP in Brixworth, Mercedes is satisfied that it has traced the cause, and the company believes that it has been able to address it for the French GP.

"The origin was a spark plug failure that caused a cascade of other problems, resulting in the engine failure," a spokesman told Motorsport.com. "We will have countermeasures in place for this weekend."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... l/4476897/
The Power of Dreams!

Polite

Phil wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 13:53
Not to mention that despite Mercedes bringing out the engine earlier (under the old regs), they said they were confirming to the 0.9l limit.
@Silo, im only saying that is not only Ferrari Pu that was burning oil.. Mercs did the same. And the FACT that they didnt bring the 0,9L spec but an earlier 1,2L spec till the end of the year is a prove that PU didnt respect the 0,9L. And to me, just saying "our 1,2L spec respect the 0,9L" is not a lie but at least something we cant trust to. am i right?

So, dont take me as an hater, but just stop saying the Ferrari PU burns oil while Merc not. Just that :D

NL_Fer

I still wonder if the thick gray smoke the Mercedes cars belched out before starting the formation lap was related to oil burning.

godlameroso

The fix is to torque the spark plugs by 3ft lbs more than they were previously doing :lol:

No kidding a loose spark plug will destroy any engine rather quickly.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

NL_Fer wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 18:43
I still wonder if the thick gray smoke the Mercedes cars belched out before starting the formation lap was related to oil burning.
I often wondered if they were actually burning oil as fuel, or if the reason they burned oil was because of extremely thin oil control/compression rings which allowed for lower friction and windage losses, but also allowed more oil to slip past and into the CC. Perhaps the ring gaps were wide for reliability, and oil burning was incidental. I do remember someone saying it was a seal issue at low engine speeds, which in my mind screams valve guides, or turbo seal. Although who knows.
Saishū kōnā

NL_Fer

The guy who told about seals which need to warm up to fully seal, was Toto. Who knows if it was the truth.

roon

Breathers and injectors were words involved in the regulations change.

Polite

Polite wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 12:51
Mudflap wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 02:50
Well, as much as I'd like to learn more, I consider it a matter of common sense not try and probe (particularly sensitive subjects) as it can sometimes lead to uncomfortable situations.

Anyway, regarding oil burning I do remember it was mentioned last year that they were discussing with FIA reducing the maximum capacity of the auxiliary oil tank. Apparently all teams agreed except Ferrari who raised a few eyebrows by insisting they needed an unreasonable volume (4 litres or so).
I am not sure if this was reported anywhere in the media.
Facts?.. there are no real facts about that. And i think everyone can see, from 2017 (more than 0,9l per gp till the end of the year for Mercs with a new PU before Monza, while Ferrari respected the gentleman agreement of the 0,9 from Monza) to 2019, who was more affected from the new oil regulation.

I think that everyone here can agree that oil burning was a key for qualy boost for Mercs and Ferrari, while Renault was in the first line against it.

am i right?
this was unrated 2 times, but i really dont understand how a PU can burn 4L of oil in race trim under the 1,2LperGP regulation of 2017 (till Monza 2017) and the 0,9LperGP regulation of 2018 (from Monza 2017 till 2018). And now the regulation is the 0,6LperGP.

Just underrate my posts, but try to be logical.

Also, no one here have aswered to my questions..

ps. now someone can say this is of topic but my questions are related to the Merc pu..

henry

Polite wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 15:26

this was unrated 2 times, but i really dont understand how a PU can burn 4L of oil in race trim under the 1,2LperGP regulation of 2017 (till Monza 2017) and the 0,9LperGP regulation of 2018 (from Monza 2017 till 2018). And now the regulation is the 0,6LperGP.

ps. now someone can say this is of topic but my questions are related to the Merc pu..
Just for accuracy the regulated consumption rates are per 100km not per GP.

Typically races are around 300km.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Polite

henry wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 15:51
Polite wrote:

My bad, u are right! Ty

What’s about the spark issue? Looks like the same old fake news. Every time an ice blows, the spark is said to be the first guilty..

Polite

Polite wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 20:18
henry wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 15:51
Polite wrote:

My bad, u are right! Ty

What’s about the spark issue? Looks like the same old fake news. Every time an ice blows, the spark is said to be the first guilty..
but my logic on the oil regulation is fine.. dont it?.. rated down again ok... i will delete this account. but no one here answered to my questions =D> =D> bb
"chi nasconde la rete, ha il sarago in tasca"