Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Benii6

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

PhillipM wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 18:44
I think those numbers are plucked from some Bull droppings tbfh - Honda say even with the update they will still be noticably behind Merc on power, and I don't think they're currently 50kw+ extra down.
I wasn't being serius. Just making fun of how ridiculous that number was.
This thing with Honda and magical upgrades every few months with X number of hp date back to 2017. And they are progressing but the numbers always get overblown.

godlameroso

More interesting is what collaboration they could have with the aero department? Maybe regarding the turbine housing? Is it possible they've made the turbo more compact? Maybe found a way to get more energy to the turbine without compromising ICE power? Probably why there is a new combustion engine, turbo, and MGU-H.

If all it means is that the car can harvest X% more electrical energy per lap, that is still a substantial gain. Hell, I'd call it an engineering achievment if Honda can now send more or any energy from the H to the K, to reduce drain on the ES. It would lead to more ES deployment per lap.
Saishū kōnā

loner

mode 7 incoming... :-$
para bellum.

PlatinumZealot

loner wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 19:52
Mode 7 graphics? This is not nintendo gameboy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

loner

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 22:18
loner wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 19:52
Mode 7 graphics? This is not nintendo gameboy.
@ 4:30
para bellum.

Singabule

godlameroso wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 19:19
More interesting is what collaboration they could have with the aero department? Maybe regarding the turbine housing? Is it possible they've made the turbo more compact? Maybe found a way to get more energy to the turbine without compromising ICE power? Probably why there is a new combustion engine, turbo, and MGU-H.

If all it means is that the car can harvest X% more electrical energy per lap, that is still a substantial gain. Hell, I'd call it an engineering achievment if Honda can now send more or any energy from the H to the K, to reduce drain on the ES. It would lead to more ES deployment per lap.
Should from their jet division, they have supercomputer to crack the internal airflow and plumbing. All possibilities regarding housing, turbine and compressor blade, until the manifold. I dont think its about downsizing, but toward to reduce the parasitic loss and air flow management. Wouldn't big improvement compared to what Mahle done for other manufacturers. Btw, i cant imagine how much money and effort they spend of this PU, much more effort compared to develop their MotoGP bike..

GhostF1

Having this engine in cars, on track likely helps with development for Spec 4 "expected" around Monza (+ or - a race weekend). So power bump probably marginal, but the ground work is there to be studied.

Both Honda and RBR have made comments about the engine due second half of the season is where the most ground will be made and will bring them into contention. So having this PU on track would no doubt help with data, and again, Red Bull have asked Honda to bring whatever engine they have if it brings power and accelerates development in 2019. We are seeing that clearly. We are on Spec 3 already, and these all came with power/reliability bumps, it wasn't until Sept/Nov last year we got a 3rd iteration. This year's dev rate looks pretty astonishing.
Last edited by GhostF1 on 20 Jun 2019, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.

_cerber1

etusch

This is a realistic number

Wouter

etusch wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 12:53
I don't think this is a realistic number. When it is only 10HP Honda never would introduce a new engine .
I think it is more 15-20 hp and better drivability and more often and longer use the batteries.
The Power of Dreams!

Stef

Depends if it's peak power, average power,...

godlameroso

That's a 20hp boost since Aus PU.
Saishū kōnā

loner

Wouter wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 13:02
etusch wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 12:53
I don't think this is a realistic number. When it is only 10HP Honda never would introduce a new engine .
I think it is more 15-20 hp and better drivability and more often and longer use the batteries.
imagine honda racing boss to say .. oh look our collaboration with the Aero engine department with all their knowledge and technology in the area of aerodynamic design, working alongside turbocharger manufacturer IHI.
lead to 10 hp increase :lol: :lol:
so my guess from Fabrega tweet will be this update is in 2 parts one will debut in France and the other part the (major) one will be some where before summer end.. how this can be regarding the spec 4 in September update i have no clue.. will they go with 5 PU?!!
para bellum.

Stef

That's what Marko said at the start of the season, no, 5 PUs ?

bosyber

Well, if that brings them to winning pace, why not? Red Bull are solidly in third, and not likely to move down, or sufficiently up to fight Mercedes for the WDC,WCC. Currently they can, with nothing else going wrong, already bank on getting 5-6th even if they start from far down; while STR will suffer a race from penalties, they then have a chance of regularly fighting for 4th team in the race, netting the 'semi-big' points that can easily put them near the front of the midfield, since it is still so tight (and soo far behind the top three too).