Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
joetoml1n

Re: Red Bull RB15

Post by joetoml1n » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Zynerji wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:40 pm
What the heck is showing on the bottom left of that chart at 258 bar?
Engine pneumatic valve air bottle probably

Webber2011

Post by Webber2011 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:59 am

joetoml1n wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Zynerji wrote:
Engine pneumatic valve air bottle probably
Yep, it definitely says "pneumatic bottle' 😮

MtthsMlw

Post by MtthsMlw » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:15 am

Zynerji wrote:
Driver's drink bottle obviously

PhillipM

Post by PhillipM » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:05 pm

That would certainly wake a driver up.

Marti_EF3

Post by Marti_EF3 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Drinking with a 258bar pressure :lol:

Morteza

Post by Morteza » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:23 pm

RB15's gearbox (via @NicolasF1i)
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ispano6

Underfloor fins

Post by ispano6 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:14 pm

Curious that Red Bull doesn't have any underfloor fins like MB, Toro Rosso and some others have in these Monaco shots.
Might we see something like this or perhaps this is necessary to reduce drag? Seems that RB and Haas don't have these slots/channels.

Flying JPS Lotus

Post by Flying JPS Lotus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:23 am

After Red Bull's Monaco nose update does anyone else think that Red Bull will continue to develop that area of the car this year? Perhaps the old spec wasn't working as it was the past two years with the new front wing regulations? Any word from RBR on why they changed it?
"Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"

#AeroUruk-Hai

Flamagra 2019

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:18 pm

If I were a betting man, I'd put some money on them working more on the rear end for now, I think they're more or less happy with how the front end of the car is working. Taming the rear is and has been the focus since winter testing, and also the more expensive side to get right, because that's where the power unit resides. Because of this, it's also the side that has the highest lead time as far as making improvements.

Question is, would there be any benefit to making a slimmer Mercedes/McLaren style nose?

One thing I noticed, is that Red Bull and Mercedes have a very similar approach to the front wing, especially on the under side, but Red Bull goes for more flap near the end plates. They try to keep the high flap angles by the radius on the upper outer flap to try to coax air to outwash. It's made some improvement, but there is still refinement needed to the geometry to get it to perform exactly the way the want it. They may need to compromise by having a little less angle on the upper outer flap to get the balance perfect, or rather improve the geometry.

Another unique thing I noticed on the Mercedes is how the Y250 side seems to have a pair of vortex tunnels.

Ferrari does it as well, as far as I can see these two teams are the only one's doing it.

McLaren certainly has an interesting take on it. Placing the vortex tunnel in the middle of the wing along the strakes, very interesting.

By contrast Red Bull seems to focus on getting the vortex tunnel to induce outwash.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Dipesh1995

Post by Dipesh1995 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:18 pm
If I were a betting man, I'd put some money on them working more on the rear end for now, I think they're more or less happy with how the front end of the car is working. Taming the rear is and has been the focus since winter testing, and also the more expensive side to get right, because that's where the power unit resides. Because of this, it's also the side that has the highest lead time as far as making improvements.

Question is, would there be any benefit to making a slimmer Mercedes/McLaren style nose?

One thing I noticed, is that Red Bull and Mercedes have a very similar approach to the front wing, especially on the under side, but Red Bull goes for more flap near the end plates. They try to keep the high flap angles by the radius on the upper outer flap to try to coax air to outwash. It's made some improvement, but there is still refinement needed to the geometry to get it to perform exactly the way the want it. They may need to compromise by having a little less angle on the upper outer flap to get the balance perfect, or rather improve the geometry.

http://magaimg.net/img/8722.jpg

Another unique thing I noticed on the Mercedes is how the Y250 side seems to have a pair of vortex tunnels.

http://magaimg.net/img/8724.jpg

Ferrari does it as well, as far as I can see these two teams are the only one's doing it.

http://magaimg.net/img/8726.jpg

McLaren certainly has an interesting take on it. Placing the vortex tunnel in the middle of the wing along the strakes, very interesting.

http://magaimg.net/img/8727.jpg

By contrast Red Bull seems to focus on getting the vortex tunnel to induce outwash.
Nice post. I would hazard a guess that those "tunnels" reduce the sensitivity of wing's aerodynamic profile/flow structures to ground clearance, for example, during pitch by ensuring that certain regions of the wing are consistently fed with a sufficient mass flow rate even when the wing drops to a very low ground clearance. For example, in Mercedes' and Ferrari's case, those tunnels allow for increased consistency and stability of the y250 vortex. The downside of the raising the mainelement is that you lose peak downforce hence only certain critical regions of the wing are raised, the location of these critical raised regions being dependent on what each individual team is looking to achieve.

lio007

Post by lio007 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:54 pm

We may see some new bits around the sidepod intake. At least, for me, it looks different:

edit: nevermind, obviously, as you can see in the next posts, there is nothing new in terms of winglets
Last edited by lio007 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morteza

Post by Morteza » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:28 pm

They have made the mirrors even smaller!

Last edited by Morteza on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

Post by MtthsMlw » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Surely that little winglet is just for structual reasons like Ferraris mirrors in Barcelona last year.
If that is allowed to stay there I guess you could attach as many little winglets to your mirror housings as you like.

Morteza

Post by Morteza » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:43 pm

The new Red Bull rims are fitted with smaller wheel nuts, so means new hub and upright.
Last edited by Morteza on Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lio007

Post by lio007 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Another good angles, by @leblogauto