2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
astracrazy

Re: 2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 01:02
Outcome based penalties could be done:
1. Rejoin requiring evasive action = 5s
2. Rejoin resulting in contact = 10s
3. Rejoin resulting in damage = drive through.
4. Rejoin gaining an advantage = give back advantage. Failure to give back = drive through.

Etc.
But this is the sort of stuff I think needs to be avoided.

Leaving the track and gaining an advantage = penalty of ## seconds + the time gained
Leaving the track and rejoining in an unsafe manner = drive through (harsh but a- it needs to be a solid outcome and drivers know if you do it then it this happens b- unsafe is unsafe and does it really need to get to the point where it damages another drivers race before it actually damages your own)

I generally hate all the possible outcomes if a rule is broken. There needs to be different penalties to fit the crime, but not 5-6 possible outcomes. It then comes down to steward bias, interpretation and opens the door for inconsistency.

At the moment stewards are playing the role of jury and judge, when I think they should just be there to play jury. After that the rule book clearly states the penalty.

TAG

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 11:15
p.s We need the Austrian thread up and running, Only 4 days to Practice! And that race will 100% be better than this, always good racing at the A1 Ring
Mercedes should stay home this weekend. Would make half the fans less grumpy.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

digitalrurouni

TAG wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:49
NathanOlder wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 11:15
p.s We need the Austrian thread up and running, Only 4 days to Practice! And that race will 100% be better than this, always good racing at the A1 Ring
Mercedes should stay home this weekend. Would make half the fans less grumpy.
I second that suggestion lol. Also save them a shedload of cash.

aral

Once again it has been necessary to delete off-topic posts. Is it too much to ask that you read the title of the thread, and then post facts and info relevant to the thread? All this "i am better than you" and "i know more than you" is the sort of thing that goes on between teenagers rather than true motorsport fans.
So, please discuss the French GP .

sosic2121

I think we should also congratulate pirelli.
They perfectly judged how thin their tires should be, and how long they should last. Incredible work done there.

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:28
roon wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:25
Wynters wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:06
France might have been boring, but how many people need to die in order to make a sport worth watching for you?
According to some in this thread, one. Charlie Whiting. Wonderful company, here.
That's BS and you know it, no one said Charlie needed to die.

Several have suggested that the stewards are more strict now because a different person is in charge.
Don't know if the stewards are really more strict. I can remember a USA race where Verstappen was stripped of third or the Mexico last lap scruff a couple of years ago.

In my recollection these offences were always penalised in recent years.

dans79

Jolle wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:32
dans79 wrote:
roon wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:25

According to some in this thread, one. Charlie Whiting. Wonderful company, here.

Several have suggested that the stewards are more strict now because a different person is in charge.
Don't know if the stewards are really more strict. I can remember a USA race where Verstappen was stripped of third or the Mexico last lap scruff a couple of years ago.

I think they are more strict now. By that, I mean they are less likely to write something off as a racing incident!
197 104 103 7

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 21:53
Jolle wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:32
dans79 wrote:

I think they are more strict now. By that, I mean they are less likely to write something off as a racing incident!
Doesn’t feel like that to me. As long as you stick to basic racing, like respect the track limits, you can race pretty hard. Verstappen has two bumps into other cars this year without penalties (and one where he did). Or Vettel last year in Russia.

hollus

Guys, we mean it. If a post is not even indirectly related to the French GP, and specially as they adopt a personal tone, mods will delete it. There are more deleted than remaining posts, lately, in this thread. Patience was exhausted already at the Canadian GP.

And always the most important rule: Don’t get personal.
Rivals, not enemies.

ringo

By the way, Gasly was poor this race. Kyvaat needs to be in the redbull after the summer break.
I don't think there is anything else redbull can do to get him to even come within a quarter second of verstappen.
He has had enough chances to show if he is any good.
I just find it puzzling because he seemed very promising last year. Maybe Hartley was just even worse?
For Sure!!

Mach

Another boring Mercedes dominant race.
I wish Ferrari, Red Bull et-al would figure out how to close the gap

siskue2005

TAG wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:46
Schuttelberg wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 10:36
This is the first race I have missed since I began watching in 1994. Obviously, I've missed a few races live but always caught up with the tapes and avoided spoilers. I just watched the cricket yesterday, had no inclination to watch or record and just saw the results at night. Didn't miss anything clearly. Clear sign that the sport is broken.
Or that someone's favorite team or favorite driver isn't winning. If you've never missed a race since 1994 you would clearly know that many races since have been processional. There are many things wrong with the sport none of which couldn't be fixed by FiA leaving regulations alone for a few years. But people demanding that they fix what's broken because one team/driver is winning too much is what's making the FiA change the rules ever two or three years now and the same team keeps coming out on top.

Maybe what's broken is the favorite teams?
Exactly =D>

roon

TAG wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
This is the first race I have missed since I began watching in 1994. Obviously, I've missed a few races live but always caught up with the tapes and avoided spoilers. I just watched the cricket yesterday, had no inclination to watch or record and just saw the results at night. Didn't miss anything clearly. Clear sign that the sport is broken.
Or that someone's favorite team or favorite driver isn't winning. If you've never missed a race since 1994 you would clearly know that many races since have been processional. There are many things wrong with the sport none of which couldn't be fixed by FiA leaving regulations alone for a few years. But people demanding that they fix what's broken because one team/driver is winning too much is what's making the FiA change the rules ever two or three years now and the same team keeps coming out on top.

I agree. If everyone would simply become a Mercedes fan they would finally understand how awesome current F1 is.

siskue2005

roon wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 08:27
TAG wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

I agree. If everyone would simply become a Mercedes fan they would finally understand how awesome current F1 is.
Also if every non Mercedes fans stop whining then we would finally understand how awesome current f1 is.

And please dont blame Mercedes for doing their job, blame others for their incompetence

Phil

I really dont see the issue. Mercedes is dominant, they deserve to win. Throughout the history of the sport, there have been more “processional races” than exciting ones. When the cars qualify in the order of their speed, there is little unpredictability and fewer overtakes. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

I think the main issue (if there is one) is that the gap between teams is too large. If the gap were smaller, there’d be more variation because the nuances in performance would be bridged by the drivers who tend to make mistakes here and there. But arguably, despite Mercedes being that strong, the midfield is quite competitive and the gap to the front has also decreased this year.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter