2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

Yeah... so good timing for this moderator post.

Guys, we noticed a very significant increase in heated discussions, instigation, trolling, insults, all around frustration in the discussions, ever since the Canadian Grand Prix. A lot of people also are trying to walk the fine line between rules while still trying to be offensive to get others heated up.

Also something we absolutely loathe is the discussions being dragged down into fan bias arguments. A lot of accusations of Mercedes or Ferrari bias is thrown around with the sole purpose of undermining somebody else their viewpoint. In the vast majority of the cases there is no excessive bias going on. It is merely a different viewpoint!

The moderators unanimously agree this is hurting the discussions being held in a constructive way with room for every viewpoint -meaning not just your own viewpoint!- and that personal respect and keeping an open mind are becoming subservient to "rubbing it in" and only accepting your own viewpoint as the sole truth.

We are going to push back on this trend. F1technical is not your average facebook page; we expect some decency, level and respect in discussions while allowing freedom for every reasonable viewpoint. In order to get that back on the rails, we will be pressing more moderator intervention:

-Every sort of unneeded agression towards a fellow member, person or entity will immediately be answered with ATLEAST a warning. Depending on the situation and the recent history, that can go up to a ban for the next race weekend and in severe cases a ban of several weeks. We will be very strict with applying this! You have been warned to mind your manners; we are not going to accept excuses afterwards you did not "mean it like that".

-We will be reminding people throughout the race weekend of this message on several occasions. Again to be sure you have been warned about this.

-We will not accept open attempts of accusations of bias. Should you suspect bias, you will report said message so a moderator can look at it.

Again, we will be applying this very strictly. I know I am opening the door now for people to complain they got punished, while others don't get punished and we'll get accusations of bias for our own for that. Since when has disagreeing become bias? You want less bias, it should start with you to not unnecessary see bias in everything. That will lead to alteast half of the cases immediately solved.

Please carry on with the good stuff: back and forth respectful discussion. DIsagreeing while remaining polite, accepting the other person is talking from their viewpoint while argumentating your own. It's not hard, people!
#AeroFrodo

oT v1

Still very glad to see this track back on the calender taking over from a flyaway.

Interested to see how maclaren get on again, especially if the track temp is scorching like Paul Ricard.

Overall I’m going for a first win for Leclerc, then Ham and Vet.
The Power of Dreams

ajdavison2

Currently enroute to Spielberg for the grand prix. Can't wait, although we are driving from Newcastle (north east England for those that are curious) so wish me luck Haha! Doing a pitlane walk on Thursday for the first time so I'll try and snap any photos I can!

turbof1

ajdavison2 wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 11:37
Currently enroute to Spielberg for the grand prix. Can't wait, although we are driving from Newcastle (north east England for those that are curious) so wish me luck Haha! Doing a pitlane walk on Thursday for the first time so I'll try and snap any photos I can!
Have fun! Do post some juicy pictures so we can lament we aren't there :wink: .
#AeroFrodo

F1Krof

With only 8 corners or so, I honestly think it's Ferrari's race to lose.
Wroom wroom

Just_a_fan

Newcastle to Austria is a nice road trip. Are you going to make it a proper holiday and stop / explore on the way back?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

F1Krof wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 13:13
But there are only 4 straights! :D

It'd be great if Ferrari rock up with a new floor that works, but if it's all France spec they're up against it i think

ajdavison2

Just_a_fan wrote:
Newcastle to Austria is a nice road trip. Are you going to make it a proper holiday and stop / explore on the way back?
Exploring the local area probably, stopping over in Nuremberg tonight and going back via Amsterdam next week... so yeah it's quite the euro trip Haha!

LM10

izzy wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 13:25
F1Krof wrote:
But there are only 4 straights! :D

It'd be great if Ferrari rock up with a new floor that works, but if it's all France spec they're up against it i think
France was the first step of an update package. In Austria there will be more changes.

Just_a_fan

ajdavison2 wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 13:56
Just_a_fan wrote:
Exploring the local area probably, stopping over in Nuremberg tonight and going back via Amsterdam next week... so yeah it's quite the euro trip Haha!
Sounds like a good plan. Have fun! 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

LM10 wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 14:02
France was the first step of an update package. In Austria there will be more changes.
yes okay but according to what i've read, the new wings worked, but the floor didn't do what they expected? So if they need to design and make a floor they won't have been able to do that in 5 days will they? Or perhaps a floor isn't actually that difficult just big?

LM10

izzy wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 14:24
LM10 wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 14:02
yes okay but according to what i've read, the new wings worked, but the floor didn't do what they expected? So if they need to design and make a floor they won't have been able to do that in 5 days will they? Or perhaps a floor isn't actually that difficult just big?
Binotto told that the floor had been planned to not stay on the car beforehand. It was just tested for verifying reasons and further delevopment decisions.

izzy

LM10 wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 14:56
Binotto told that the floor had been planned to not stay on the car beforehand. It was just tested for verifying reasons and further delevopment decisions.
Hmmm well it didn't sound quite like that on scuderiafans.com
“I don’t think we got all the answers from this weekend because the floor not working properly [is] a lack of answers,” he admitted. “So we will still work on that one. I think we’ll have some test items again in Austria, try to better understand. I think we will fully understand only when all the parts properly work as expected.”
it sounds like Mattia was hoping for more than they got. i'm not wishing you down, just i wouldn't build your hopes up too much, just yet. I mean it's only a week

bosyber

ajdavison2 wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 11:37
Hope you only start the bbq once you get there, not while seated in the car - it's pretty scorching all through Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and Austria! It's quite the road-trip, but sounds like a great tour, enjoy the views, and hope you have a smooth ride and a great time!

Are you camping, or got a place 'nearby'? The latter is what we did two years ago, got an hotel in the mountains - added week with family, was pretty great, and traffic into the track was (as expected really with Red Bull as event organiser) orderly and swift, but, you are not as much in the race/party atmosphere then.

digitalrurouni

DutchDopey wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 10:50
zibby43 wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 06:35
TAG wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 00:05
Shaming the "long standing teams" that get paid for building mediocre cars is their only motivation.
Toto is taking no prisoners right now.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/27 ... s-stronger

"The trolling that happens in social media has become so bad . . . At first it's hard to swallow, but it's come to a point that it's making us stronger, every hit creates more desire to prove."
I think Toto can handle the abuse just fine, he might even thrive on it. Hamilton however is another case, he is much more sensitive to it. I don't think he likes the current situation, he wants to win on his own merit. He wants the credits for winning, not the car.

*Of course this is just my personal opinion.
I think Hamilton used to be sensitive to it but not anymore. Rather every time he gets abuse about going to fashion shows or whatever usually when he gets back on track right after that he takes pole and a win lol. Puts the naysayers in their place and I for one love the heck out of it.

Spielberg is a gorgeous track but boy do I wish it was longer and had some more corners. The track is too short for my liking. They should get some bits and pieces back from the old track.