Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ispano6

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

PhillipM wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 20:48
That's nothing new it's something that's been done for decades, it's been looked at before for turbocharger turbines in motorsport before as well.
Mudflap wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 20:55
Not really needed for small radial turbines where you have sufficient support from the back disk.

Dove tailed axial turbinw blades are indeed a common application.
Never in the form of this type of application or pressures. So characteristic of Japanese technology (and attention to material detail and quality) and disappointed to hear the "over engineered" response to it. Perhaps it is over-engineered to some other's reliability and durability standards, but not this Honda's! Good to see Honda pushing the envelope like they did during the Golden Era. They will need this durability and piece of mind to utilize this next stage of development.

63l8qrrfy6

ispano6 wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 22:43
PhillipM wrote:
That's nothing new it's something that's been done for decades, it's been looked at before for turbocharger turbines in motorsport before as well.
Mudflap wrote:
Not really needed for small radial turbines where you have sufficient support from the back disk.

Never in the form of this type of application or pressures. So characteristic of Japanese technology (and attention to material detail and quality) and disappointed to hear the "over engineered" response to it. Perhaps it is over-engineered to some other's reliability and durability standards, but not this Honda's! Good to see Honda pushing the envelope like they did during the Golden Era. They will need this durability and piece of mind to utilize this next stage of development.
Hold your horses - first off if you re-read the paragraph the single crystal turbine blades only refer to the aero engine - any association with the F1 turbo is pure speculation.

Secondly - just off the top of my head - the Audi le mans diesels ran hotter exhaust gases than current F1 engines and they got away with normal nickel alloys. I am sure there are many other examples.

As for the bolded text ... well, their reliability has not exactly been stellar in this era has it ?

Edit:
Another example - the Merc one hypercar which uses a F1 derived engine running very close to lambda 1 for emissions reasons and hence hotter than F1 has a "standard" mar247 turbine wheel.

ispano6

Mudflap wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 23:00
ispano6 wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 22:43
PhillipM wrote:
Mudflap wrote:

Hold your horses - first off if you re-read the paragraph the single crystal turbine blades only refer to the aero engine - any association with the F1 turbo is pure speculation.

Secondly - just off the top of my head - the Audi le mans diesels ran hotter exhaust gases than current F1 engines and they got away with normal nickel alloys. I am sure there are many other examples.

As for the bolded text ... well, their reliability has not exactly been stellar in this era has it ?

Edit:
Another example - the Merc one hypercar which uses a F1 derived engine running very close to lambda 1 for emissions reasons and hence hotter than F1 has a "standard" mar247 turbine wheel.
Please, we're talking about what Honda has done, not what OTHERS have done in OTHER series. Sounds to me you're jealous of this high-tech! "So what, Audi did this, Toyota did that"...

It comprises two turbines, a smaller high-pressure component with single crystal blades producing lower fuel burn and a larger, low-pressure, counter-rotating turbine that boasts lower weight.
In Honda's diagram, there are two turbos. Which do you suppose gets hot gases and could use some durability insurance?

Bingo! So it's not pointless as you say it is. Afterall, it needs to be Alonso-proof.

roon

   
Last edited by roon on 27 Jun 2019, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

ispano6

roon wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 04:57
I can't believe they released that CAD image to the public. It reveals their primary flaw in the drivetrain! They are sending all the physical energy to the right wheel, and all the electrical energy to the left wheel. How did Alonso ever keep this thing on the road? Amazed by how Newey still figured out how to make this work. Should I email HQ?

That bombshell aside: Rules dictate single stage wheels at both ends of a common shaft. Packaging mostly dictates centrifugal type devices at both ends, with one exception: Honda's axial(mixed?) compressor of 2015. Which didnt work so well for them.
<unnecessary confrontational comment removed>
There are only red lines going to the wheels. Can't you tell what the color coded Labels and Legend indicate? Besides, this image is not published, it is a composite.

roon

ispano6 wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 05:05
roon wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 04:57
I can't believe they released that CAD image to the public. It reveals their primary flaw in the drivetrain! They are sending all the physical energy to the right wheel, and all the electrical energy to the left wheel. How did Alonso ever keep this thing on the road? Amazed by how Newey still figured out how to make this work. Should I email HQ?

That bombshell aside: Rules dictate single stage wheels at both ends of a common shaft. Packaging mostly dictates centrifugal type devices at both ends, with one exception: Honda's axial(mixed?) compressor of 2015. Which didnt work so well for them.
You are color blind sir. There are only red lines going to the wheels. Can't you tell what the color coded Labels and Legend indicate? Besides, this image is not published, it is a composite.
Last edited by roon on 27 Jun 2019, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.

63l8qrrfy6

<personal stuff removed>
ispano6 wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 04:49

In Honda's diagram, there are two turbos. Which do you suppose gets hot gases and could use some durability insurance?
No there aren't 2 turbos.
You can't read a diagram just as you can't read the paragraph that clearly states single crystal blades are used in the aero engines.

Tommy Cookers

the Autosport article linked by HPD is in a substantial part completely wrong
that part being written by Scott Mitchel - not anything attributed to Honda

what Mitchel writes in his pretentious and roundabout way amounts to saying that .....
a better turbine puts more air into the ICE and this benefits combustion
(sounding like a view favoured in some posts on this site)

this is wrong
fuelling is fixed by rule - more air than the extreme leaning already used will reduce combustion efficiency
(that's what extreme leaning is - the point where any further leaning reduces combustion efficiency)

a better turbine will of course give more scope for running in electric supercharge and for H generation

btw
ispano6's purported 'Honda's' diagram - what Honda company would that be ?

rogazilla

Disclaimer: No where have the amount of technical knowledge as most on this forum. Bare with me with the following question.

1. Spit turbo concept. On the compressor side obviously cooler. The goal is to compress air and pack more oxygen to feed the Ice. Jet engine also compress air on the inlet and usually has the ability to do this more efficiently because high altitude has thinner air?

2. On the other end, the exhaust runs the 'turbine'? the goal here is allow the exhaust gas to spin it as efficiently as you can. Does this jet concept has any advantage other than being able to handle the heat better?

3. MGU-H converts heat into electricity and is right in between the 2 items above. If the compressor side is easier to spin I assume MGU-H can spend less energy to keep the turbo spools up?

4. Does the any of those items above benefit the MGU-H itself? I assume it is a fancy motor but no idea what's inside a MGU-H.

3jawchuck

ispano6 wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 04:49
In Honda's diagram, there are two turbos.....
The rules state only a single turbo (1 turbine, 1 compressor) is allowed.

You don't really understand what you are looking at.

GhostF1

Austria is a track at altitude, this turbo upgrade might see benefits over some competitors performing at altitude. Possibly an area Honda Jet could of assisted with.

godlameroso

I think this upgrade is to ultimately be able to harvest more energy through the MGU-H, regardless of the engine mode. That this upgrade is setting the groundwork to be able to exploit the extra energy they can harvest by having more "freewheel" mode.
Saishū kōnā

saviour stivala

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 20:42
I think this upgrade is to ultimately be able to harvest more energy through the MGU-H, regardless of the engine mode. That this upgrade is setting the groundwork to be able to exploit the extra energy they can harvest by having more "freewheel" mode.
What is "freewheel mode"?

godlameroso

saviour stivala wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 21:11
godlameroso wrote:
""freewheel mode"" as in having wastegates wide open and having the turbo rely on the MGU-H to operate and relieve backpressure from the engine.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

godlameroso wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 21:35
saviour stivala wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 21:11
godlameroso wrote:
""freewheel mode"" as in having wastegates wide open and having the turbo rely on the MGU-H to operate and relieve backpressure from the engine.
In a normal engine, boost pressure and back pressure are linked, like downforce and drag you can't have one without the other. The MGU-H let's you temporarily sever this link. Both boost without back pressure, and back pressure without boost is possible with the MGU-H. Especially since you have fine granular control of both intake bypass and exhaust bypass.

I reckon that the current Honda engine philosophy has a lot of untapped potential. As it stands their next big step is out of sequence with the others. The next few races will be rather frustrating, as the performance will remain relatively similar until ~Silverstone.
Saishū kōnā