2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43

Re: 2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

Phil wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 09:39
I really dont see the issue. Mercedes is dominant, they deserve to win. Throughout the history of the sport, there have been more “processional races” than exciting ones. When the cars qualify in the order of their speed, there is little unpredictability and fewer overtakes. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

I think the main issue (if there is one) is that the gap between teams is too large. If the gap were smaller, there’d be more variation because the nuances in performance would be bridged by the drivers who tend to make mistakes here and there. But arguably, despite Mercedes being that strong, the midfield is quite competitive and the gap to the front has also decreased this year.
If the teammate battles were also bit better this year, there would be a bit more excitement.

Bottas has a chance to redeem himself in AUS.

LEC/VET has been somewhat neutered by Ferrari's backing VET 100% (not saying I disagreed with their initial decision), and VER is absolutely trouncing GAS. GAS is closer to the STR boys than VER.

Vasconia

It still amazes me how superior is Mercedes in almost every single corner. Will other terms be capable of finding Mercedes secret? we desperately need it because this season is becoming quite boring.

Hamilton looked so superior, I am afraid Bottas won´t be a thread for the rest of the season, I miss Nico more and more , at least we could expect some tension with him in the team.

NathanOlder

To be fair, its only this season so far that Nico would be worth having. I feel he would have struggled in 17 and 18 against a strong Ferrari. Wheel to wheel combat was never Nico's strength. In the odd races where Merc had to fight for a win , Nico was behind Lewis a lot more often than the other way around. Much like Bottas last 2 years.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

iotar__

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 11:32
To be fair, its only this season so far that Nico would be worth having. I feel he would have struggled in 17 and 18 against a strong Ferrari. Wheel to wheel combat was never Nico's strength. In the odd races where Merc had to fight for a win , Nico was behind Lewis a lot more often than the other way around. Much like Bottas last 2 years.
Here we go again. Tell us more about Hamilton overtaking Bottas in Australia and Rosberg losing in 2017/18 in alternative reality of internet driver fanatism.

OK, enough with the jokes, let's have a reasonable argument in France 2019 race thread, Rosberg would have won both 2017 and 2018 championships comfortably.

SiLo

iotar__ wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 12:02
NathanOlder wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 11:32
Here we go again. Tell us more about Hamilton overtaking Bottas in Australia and Rosberg losing in 2017/18 in alternative reality of internet driver fanatism.

OK, enough with the jokes, let's have a reasonable argument in France 2019 race thread, Rosberg would have won both 2017 and 2018 championships comfortably.
ok
Felipe Baby!

izzy

anyone else notice that in the school photo for Jackie Stewart's 80th (like on F1i) the Merc drivers aren't wearing his hat? or Max. Not sure about Max but i'm guessing Jackie is non grata around Lewis after his various carping and sexist insults

Wynters

Imagine if Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull all pulled out of the racing side of the sport (or went off to compete in Formula SuperRich).

Formula 1(.5) is currently super exciting. Sainz leads Perez and Kimi with Ricciardo snapping at their heels. McLaren has pulled a gap between themselves and the chasing pack of Renault, Racing Point and Torro Rosso but it's all close enough that we could see new leaders based on how things go in Austria. That race long battle between Hulk and Kimi was nailbiting, as was Norris wrestling with his dying McLaren...as long as you weren't distracted by the procession at the front.

The issue isn't so much with the Formula, but with the actors. Mercedes spoil it for everyone by being rich and good. Ferrari and Red Bull spoil it for everyone but Mercedes by being rich enough to offset their failures.

As for Rosberg's return, he certainly would have provided a more sustained challenge than Bottas seems able to and there would've been more excitement as the two Mercedes drove into each other but that wouldn't solve the underlying problem.

digitalrurouni

Even if Rosberg was still around no way he would have won 2017. By his own admission he was gassed out to try and operate at that high of a level.

GPR-A

Rosberg could win only because of Hamilton's misfortune with reliability issues, while he himself didn't suffer a single reliability issue, while playing dirty games in the background to upset Hamilton. Toto himself termed Rosberg as the "Vicious one".

TAG

roon wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 08:27
TAG wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 13:46
Schuttelberg wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 10:36
This is the first race I have missed since I began watching in 1994. Obviously, I've missed a few races live but always caught up with the tapes and avoided spoilers. I just watched the cricket yesterday, had no inclination to watch or record and just saw the results at night. Didn't miss anything clearly. Clear sign that the sport is broken.
Or that someone's favorite team or favorite driver isn't winning. If you've never missed a race since 1994 you would clearly know that many races since have been processional. There are many things wrong with the sport none of which couldn't be fixed by FiA leaving regulations alone for a few years. But people demanding that they fix what's broken because one team/driver is winning too much is what's making the FiA change the rules ever two or three years now and the same team keeps coming out on top.

Maybe what's broken is the favorite teams?
I agree. If everyone would simply become a Mercedes fan they would finally understand how awesome current F1 is.
Based on recent moderating commentary in the race thread, I think you're cruizin for a bruzin wouldn't you say? Let's all play together nicely.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

GPR -A wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 14:47
Rosberg could win only because of Hamilton's misfortune with reliability issues, while he himself didn't suffer a single reliability issue, while playing dirty games in the background to upset Hamilton. Toto himself termed Rosberg as the "Vicious one".
Rosberg is actually doing pretty well with his commentary. I think his career choice of being "the" authority on Lewis Hamilton is a good move. Being a lifelong competitor to the most decorated driver in F1 history has a nice ring to it wouldn't you say?

I've actually been following him after Since the Canada kerfuffle and enjoyed his coverage in France.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

bill shoe

GPR -A wrote:
I probably agree with you that Rosberg was wrong towards Hamilton on an individual-incident-by-individual-incident basis.

Look, Rosberg was very very good, but like everyone else on the face of the earth he did not have the raw talent of Hamilton. So to beat Hamilton over the course of a season Rosberg needed to-
  • Show up from race 1 with total focus and commitment while Hamilton mailed it in for a while before realizing he needed to get serious. Dominate the first several races and build up a nice points advantage.
  • Have some good luck on your side.
  • Yes, be willing to play a bit mean. Don't accept that you should behave passively and politely like a number 2 driver.
In the big picture I quite respect and admire what Rosberg did. He's the only person who ever has or ever will beat Hamilton. Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but hopefully some leniency from moderators now that the French GP is over.

GPR-A

TAG wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 15:04
GPR -A wrote:
Rosberg is actually doing pretty well with his commentary. I think his career choice of being "the" authority on Lewis Hamilton is a good move. Being a lifelong competitor to the most decorated driver in F1 history has a nice ring to it wouldn't you say?

I've actually been following him after Since the Canada kerfuffle and enjoyed his coverage in France.
There are two different aspects that we are talking about Rosberg. His driving skills, competing against one of the best drivers of all time and Rosberg as an individual. While I disliked him as a driver, I like his commentary as he is the best possible individual who can comment on the current cars, drivers and the competition itself. Not the likes of Hill, Brundle and that gang. Just like any competitive sportsperson, he was competitive and like a small percentage, he was ready to be dirty to win. Now that the show is over for him, he can be a normal human being with good insights on F1 and you can't hate or dislike him for being that.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bosyber

I found it interesting what Palmer says (from 10:42) about Norris trying an overtake on Hülkenberg , who basically pushes him off the track - more or less:
Palmer wrote:Norris, despite his ailing car, going for one of the most audacious moves here, around the outside of Beausset [T11] ... Norris ... gets so far alongside the outside of Hülkenberg, and now this for me could have been move of the season, but ... [despite almost front wheel to front wheel] Hülkenberg basically just does not give him any space whatsoever [Hülk is on the kerb, Norris pushed off track now] ... could have given him space, then they could have fought into T12 with Norris leaving space there ... In the grander scheme it would be nice if we could go back to the time where if someone is alongside you can't just force them off the road, you have to give them a bit of space, and we could see these races go on and on through more than one corner.
ie. No, penalties are not great to see, but in order to not have them, we need the drivers to not push others off track as a valid move, so either self imposed, or with effective trackside means to have them only use the off-track bits for safety. And then we could have much better fights, that actually last a couple of corners.