Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
seense

Re: Red Bull RB15

Are those front wings really new spec? I believe they have tried both before? Maybe they want to cross test them again with new diffuser etc.?

@godlameroso Can you address the changes in bargeboard area? I cant find them.

Edit; frontwing (flaps and end plate) picture 1 and 4 is launch spec and picture 2 and 3 is spec they used last races. Nothing new to me. Probably they want to know if launch spec works with other updates of the car. Wondering if they use the closed nose with both specs.

godlameroso

seense wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 23:49
Are those front wings really new spec? I believe they have tried both before? Maybe they want to cross test them again with new diffuser etc.?

@godlameroso Can you address the changes in bargeboard area? I cant find them.

Edit; frontwing (flaps and end plate) picture 1 and 4 is launch spec and picture 2 and 3 is spec they used last races. Nothing new to me. Probably they want to know if launch spec works with other updates of the car. Wondering if they use the closed nose with both specs.

Last edited by godlameroso on 28 Jun 2019, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

Slo Poke

Marti_EF3 wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 14:08
That's possible to change ride height with more or less steering angle? Or it's an optical/load effect

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3aQZwhSv ... /giphy.gif
Wheel camber. Nothing more.

Enstone

Would love to see an explanation from Scarbs !

If we take a look at this pics, we can imagine a blowing effect but would be great to have some cfd sims to see what's really going on there !

Renault who was the first to introduce this feature back in 2017, seems not interested to follow the same way for the moment ?

zibby43

Enstone wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 01:44

If we take a look at this pics, we can imagine a blowing effect but would be great to have some cfd sims to see what's really going on there !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-Evk0TX4AAHU7u.jpg

Renault who was the first to introduce this feature back in 2017, seems not interested to follow the same way for the moment ?
Just a general note . . . the FIA clamped down on exhaust blowing last week. Teams have 2 races to adjust any PU mapping that is designed to blow the crash structure furniture.

SF Engineer

Slo Poke wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 00:50
Marti_EF3 wrote:
That's possible to change ride height with more or less steering angle? Or it's an optical/load effect

This effect can be achieved by adjusting the upright mounted pushrod position to change jacking of the inside/outside wheels with steering angle.

tony77g

Marti_EF3 wrote:

it's regular. the height variation (5mm max) is measured only with 12 ° steering

seense

Thanks!

Verstappen doing a timed lap with the launch spec FW, pitted and changed to last spec FW and directly went out again.

Slo Poke

SF Engineer wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 08:44
Slo Poke wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:

This effect can be achieved by adjusting the upright mounted pushrod position to change jacking of the inside/outside wheels with steering angle.
I Bow to your superior knowledge my friend. For future use and improved understanding, what does the adjustment you describe actually adjust? Surely there’s an abridged description! Many thanks in advance.

Enstone

zibby43 wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 04:52
Enstone wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 01:44

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-Evk0TX4AAHU7u.jpg

Just a general note . . . the FIA clamped down on exhaust blowing last week. Teams have 2 races to adjust any PU mapping that is designed to blow the crash structure furniture.
Ok so that's why Redbull has already found a new solution to avoid that !

I know they've clamped down exhaust blowing specific mapping since 2017... but dunno they've let teams blow the crash structure this year !

JordanMugen

foneFanatiq wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 20:16
Why does it Look like that haven’t done a damn thing with the rear wing?
Yes, the RBR rear wing endplates are very basic. Red Bull feel there are no gains to be found there? :?:

vs

SF Engineer

Slo Poke wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 12:40
SF Engineer wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 08:44
Slo Poke wrote:

I Bow to your superior knowledge my friend. For future use and improved understanding, what does the adjustment you describe actually adjust? Surely there’s an abridged description! Many thanks in advance.
I need to first say that I am not a suspension designer, only a track-side operator - so my explanation may be lacking the detail you desire.

In lower level formula cars (F3, Super Formula, etc.) and in some GT(ish) cars (DTM, Super GT), the position of the upright mounted pushrod can be adjusted relative to the x-axis of the car (length of the car). Generally it can only be adjusted by a few millimeters, but the effect of moving this position forward and backward is to adjust the kingpin axis angle and therefore the y-axis movement of the suspension with steering inputs. The change in geometry results in a different balance of forces in the system. For more detail I would suggest the book Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, it was written years ago but I believe it is still the most complete guide to these sorts of things.

Below is an image from the Super Formula manual showing the location of the UMP adjustment.
https://imgur.com/a/MCgzU4o

I realize this post is not specifically about the RB15 and therefore has gone a bit off topic, sorry for that! Anything further I'll try to keep to PM #-o

MartijnA3

Xwang

tony77g wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 09:27
Marti_EF3 wrote:

it's regular. the height variation (5mm max) is measured only with 12 ° steering
I suppose 12° steering is measured at wheels, not at the steering wheel. Is it correct?

godlameroso

Any pictures of the new front wing?

They also went back to the hole in the nose.
Saishū kōnā